#933143 by Bretty
28 Feb 2017, 10:00
Where understated elegance meets wetherspoonesque decor.
Enjoyed a light breakfast and now sipping champagne before I venture out to the shops.

It's not bad here, it lacks a bit of atmosphere and is very understated.
Let me pause a moment to ogle the handsome young man strolling around behaving like a Maitre D...

That's better. OH has expressed a preference for this lounge over the LHR Clubhouse, but I think they're two entirely different creatures.

Anyway, today begins our 3rd trip to Japan for a 2 week tour. If I could tell my 15 year old self, who longed to visit this beautiful country, and to speak its language, that not only will he visit once, but three times... but apart from a few phrases still not speak the lingo.
Anyway, dreams really do come true as Judy sang.

Tata for now folks xx
#933145 by hiljil
28 Feb 2017, 10:23
Enjoy your time in the lounge . Have a great flight & a wonderful stay in Japan. :-D
#933146 by marshy11
28 Feb 2017, 10:27
What a wonderful start to a Tuesday. Enjoy your time in there and safe onward travels.
#933149 by Bretty
28 Feb 2017, 10:44
Thanks folks. Looking forward to the trip immensely.

This place is full of very dour, straight laced pax. Hardly a smile anywhere. But the staff are friendly.
#933150 by ScoobySu
28 Feb 2017, 11:08
Have a wonderful time Bretty & TGO. Look forward to the TR when you're back!
#933160 by gumshoe
28 Feb 2017, 15:18
Bretty wrote:Thanks folks. Looking forward to the trip immensely.

This place is full of very dour, straight laced pax. Hardly a smile anywhere.

That pretty much sums up BA's target market! Grumpy DYKWIA types on expenses and retired couples who preferred it when it was BOAC (because they knew how to make a proper gin and tonic) but would still never dream of flying with anyone other than BRITISH Airways because you can't trust those funny foreigners.
#933241 by Bretty
02 Mar 2017, 00:25
gumshoe wrote:

This place is full of very dour, straight laced pax. Hardly a smile anywhere.

That pretty much sums up BA's target market! Grumpy DYKWIA types on expenses and retired couples who preferred it when it was BOAC (because they knew how to make a proper gin and tonic) but would still never dream of flying with anyone other than BRITISH Airways because you can't trust those funny foreigners.

I love this post! Thanks gumshoe, I think you summed it up, although I hope I don't fit that demographic lol.

We thoroughly enjoyed the flight and the BA F product. Very roomy suite which was also comfortable, good food (nothing fantastic, but flavourful and well presented) and excellent service. It's an entirely different product to VS UC I think as the brashness I love about Virgin (when they're on form!) isn't there. That said, I had a fab CC looking after me, who was bubbly and chatty and encouraged me to knock back the champers in a style reminding me of VS crew! Most of the others seemed more reserved, although the CSD came by to say hello to everyone in F. I was considering bringing horse feed following Pam Ann's characterisation of BA crew.

Fun quiz, what does Pam Ann call the CSD's?

Anyway, we're here now, enjoying Tokyo. TTFN.
#933254 by gumshoe
02 Mar 2017, 13:24
A cravat, straw boater, a perfectly ironed copy of the Daily Mail and a sneer at anyone not in formal attire are required for CCR access.

Seriously though, I actually preferred the Flounge next door.

If you're flying in April you might be among the first to use BA's new First Wing (private security channel and direct access to the lounge complex). Don't think they've confirmed the opening date yet though.
#933280 by Hamster
03 Mar 2017, 11:46
gumshoe wrote:If you're flying in April you might be among the first to use BA's new First Wing (private security channel and direct access to the lounge complex). Don't think they've confirmed the opening date yet though.

Direct access through an arcade of shops! And you exit the shopping arcade into the First Lounge, so First Class passengers have to leave the lounge and then enter the Concorde Room. I'm not convinced yet!
#933285 by gumshoe
03 Mar 2017, 13:24
Yes for actual F passengers it's not so good as presumably the 'million pound door' next to North Fast Track security will become redundant. (Is it seriously an arcade of shops? That won't go down well with the DYKWIAs. I read there'd be a duty free store en route but wasn't aware there'd be more.)

Much better for BA Golds though, who'll no longer have to endure the long trek from security to the Flounge via the shops and two sets of escalators.
#933290 by Sealink
03 Mar 2017, 14:31
Hamster wrote:
gumshoe wrote:If you're flying in April you might be among the first to use BA's new First Wing (private security channel and direct access to the lounge complex). Don't think they've confirmed the opening date yet though.

Direct access through an arcade of shops! And you exit the shopping arcade into the First Lounge, so First Class passengers have to leave the lounge and then enter the Concorde Room. I'm not convinced yet!

Direct access to Concorde Room is immediately after south security, which is where the First check in desks are. No parade of shops to navigate.
#933291 by Sealink
03 Mar 2017, 14:34

This place is full of very dour, straight laced pax. Hardly a smile anywhere. But the staff are friendly.

Awww pity you weren't there when me and my friend Laura used the place!
#933292 by gumshoe
03 Mar 2017, 14:57
Sealink wrote:Direct access to Concorde Room is immediately after south security, which is where the First check in desks are. No parade of shops to navigate.

At the moment yes - but the new F Wing that's due to open next month will take you from the F check-in desks, via a new VS-style private security channel and apparently at least one new shop, directly into the FLounge. AIUI those entitled to CCR access will be expected to walk through the FLounge to get to it.

Once the wing opens, existing Fast Track South security will essentially just be for Club/Silver passengers, who'll access the Galleries Club lounge as now. It remains to be seen whether the 'million pound door' that currently offers direct CCR access will remain open. I suspect not, as they'll want F passengers to use the shiny new wing.
#933310 by gumshoe
04 Mar 2017, 20:28
Hamster wrote:Direct access through an arcade of shops! And you exit the shopping arcade into the First Lounge, so First Class passengers have to leave the lounge and then enter the Concorde Room. I'm not convinced yet!

I see Raffles from headforpoints is also saying there'll be "lots of shops" in the new F Wing.

So you're right to be unconvinced - arguably it'll be a downgrade in the experience for F passengers (but presumably a cost saving for BA who will no longer have to pay HAL a small fortune for the privilege of CCR users not having to walk through the shops).

Having to walk past shops and through the FLounge will NOT go down well with the CCR regulars, albeit mitigated by having a dedicated private security channel.

Definitely an improvement for Gold card holders flying in Y, W & J though.
#933339 by ultreen1
05 Mar 2017, 23:02
I did look to see if there was a check in but I missed it...hope you had a great flight!
Btw stop posting pics of food!! I'm jealous!!!
Virgin Atlantic