#940791 by Kraken
14 Jan 2018, 16:04
If my memory serves me right (it may not!) some time ago, Virgin wanted to make the upper deck of the LGW/MAN 747's all Upper Class to free up more space on the main deck for more PE/Y seating. They fell foul - I think - of either the Disability Discrimination Act, or some CAA regulation that states that UK registered airlines have to offer all classes of service to all passengers. By having UC only upstairs (with no passenger lift) they could not fulfil this requirement.

I've just noticed that BA only offers World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy) on the upper deck of their A380 fleet. How did BA get round this rule? I appreciate the A380 can be boarded / disembarked on both levels - which should not be a problem for BA at LHR with T5. What happens if they fly to an airport and are not allocated a gate with dual level airbridges? I appreciate that the BA A380 fleet is a relatively small sub-fleet, so BA can probably manage to deploy it only on routes where the destination airport is suitably A380 ready with plenty of gates with dual level airbridges - but there will doubtless be occasions where they do not get allocated such a gate due to issues beyond their control (delays on other airlines flights that are blocking gates etc).

Or was the crux of the problem for Virgin that the upper deck exit door on the 747 is only designed / certified as an emergency exit - it cannot accept a jet-bridge as the door opens upwards? Just wondered.
#940793 by mitchja
14 Jan 2018, 16:50
It was the old LHR config 744's that had Upper Class only on the upper deck for a while.

I would guess the difference is with the A380's you can access both decks from the terminal building. For the 744's you can only access the upper deck using the on-board stairs.

I don't think BA (or any other airline operating the A380) has a choice do they, as doesn't the airport A380 certification require the use of duel deck jet bridges for boarding?

For example at MAN, the only certified A380 gate is in T1. T2 and T3 are not A380 certified meaning an A380 cannot go near those terminals.

I believe even for diversions etc, an A380 can still only land at an A380 certified airport/terminal. Any A380 diversions that may go into MAN would again only be able to use that particular gate in T1.
#940797 by Kraken
14 Jan 2018, 20:10
I think MCO had gate 84 (single airbridge) sort of cleared for A380 use - it's the one they used when the EK A380 made a publicity visit, but it's fair to say this would have been an aircraft with a very light passenger load.

Gate 90 at MCO is currently nearing completion of conversion to triple airbridge capacity - clearly in the hope that EK, LH or BA will decide to send their A380's in.

The big deciding factor as to where the A380 can / cannot go (I would imagine) is taxiway clearance & strength. If you look at the NATS charts for UK airports, there are specific routes that are cleared for A380 operations. You can board / disembark an A380 from a single airbridge / door as long as the plane can make it to the gate or stand in question safely. Sure, it'll take a while depending on the config of the plane, but it can be done.

So back to the original question, there must in theory be some form of dispensation for BA. Presumably if they can prove "exceptional circumstances" (or similar) if they are forced to use non dual-level gates at airports. Having seen the treatment mobility restricted passengers get on Ryanair at some airports (carried up/down the air-stairs by the airport fire team) I am sure anything BA do to help upper deck WT+ passengers will be better!
#940806 by Hamster
15 Jan 2018, 13:35
The A380 is accessible on both decks, either through jet bridges to both decks or use of a scissor lift type truck.

747 upper deck is not accessible.