#239386 by onionz
13 Dec 2005, 01:23
I thought I would do a little report on this trip as there's a few things to say about this rather different trip to my usual LGW-MCO/LAS trip on VS.

Mike-smashing did a very useful trip report on this route in August which was a good insight into VLM - an airline which is building a bit of a hub at London City Airport.

On my way into AMS, I used the hotel shuttle to get to the Hilton. A return was 17.50 Euros which is pretty good value compared to the cab ride.

Unfortunately I didn't realise for the return journey I would need to give the concierge at the HIlton two hours minimum notice to call the shuttle to the hotel, so had to get a cab in the end [:(].

AMS was busy. Checked in at the sole VLM desk, then began a looooong walk to gate D25. I had never been to AMS before and was confused that I was walking past gates, yet had not gone through security. It all became clear however - security is done at the gate itself. This meant when they were almost ready for boarding they had to clear everyone out of the gate area where we had been waiting, then do a security sweep of the area for items people may have left behind in the room, while we stood just in front of the scanners waiting.

It was certainly a thorough job they did (looking inside plant pots, taking the bin apart, feeling behind pictures on the wall) but the whole thing seemed bizarre.

After at least 15 mins of this, we are allowed through the scanners back into the gate area, from where we soon boarded the charming little Fokker 50 aircraft. Didn't take any photos myself, but here's a shot from a.net which says it all really.

I was in 9A which is fairly near the back of the aircraft. There's about 13 rows in total. Boarding was over quickly, and the door shut. We were flying from the new runway which meant a taxi which took almost as long as the flight, but then finally we were in the air. It seemed to take forever to climb any distance at all, but the cabin service swung into action straght away. I had a reasonably drinkable coffee and and a chocolate muffin.

The noise onboard is really quite noticeable, and I don't think I'd be able to stand it for any longer than the 50 mins were in the air. Also, in the window seat, the curvature of the cabin is really noticeable and eats into legroom. Beside all of that, to me, it's a rather humorous plane.

I had forgotten everything Mike had said in his report about the steep descent into LCY.
We headed along a similar route Mike described in his report and I remember being over the London Eye at one stage. We turned around somewhere near there and began the descent, and it really is more of a nosedive! I was quite surprised to really feel that I was heading downwards and quickly too. It was a bit bumpy and the landing seemed really hard, and to be honest I didn't really enjoy it!

There's got to be something good about an airport you can be through in a couple of mins and straight outside. I had checked in a case, but still didn't have to wait long for it and got through very quickly. Then from there to the office was just a short trip around the north circular - a very efficient journey, all in. The DLR link to LCY is now open, so it's even better connected to the rest of London now.