#239492 by daisy
22 Dec 2005, 12:59
AA 109 - LHR to BOS 13 Dec (Y) (and return AA156)

Unbelievable! Everything youve ever read about the grumpy, surly AA cabin crew is true. No smiling, no chatting and a sharp reminder to EVERYONE that they are there primarily for your safety. I took this to mean so dont expect any service - I was not disappointed[:(]

Check in at LHR was a shambles. The flight was due to leave at 10.30am so, having spent a decent night at the Hilton at T4, we checked in early - the queue was still enormoussnaking around and around the AA check in desks at T3, with their people just shouting at the long lines, asking for American citizens to step forward (presumably so they could use self service check in). After almost an hour, we finally got to the front to be greeted by a really lovely lady who apologised for the wait and was charm personified (she was an exception it has to be said)

Flight left on time (a plus point) but the service was poor. It started quickly after the take off - but seemed to take an age to get to our row (24) in the Y cabin behind J despite 3 people on each trolley. Incidentally, given that this is an AA Flagship Service - something the purser announced - I was amazed at how old-fashioned the business seats were. Really dated and the cabin looked old and tatty (not sure how old the 777 was) - glad I didnt bother going for J on this trip. We both had the beef choice which was HOT and Ok. Didnt bother paying for drinks so decided to have tea - which would have been nice had it not been cold. Cabin crew were cold and indifferent - responding to peoples requests with barely disguised disdain. They made no attempt to hide the fact that they clearly didnt want to be there serving anyone. Not very impressive and I think hard to understand from a service oriented country.[n]

Crew disappeared after another drinks/duty free round and finally re-emerged about an hour from landing with little boxes of snacks - Im still stunned by these - horrible thingsrice crispy chewy bars, mini Pringles, crackers and cheese spread (bleurgh [:$]) and chocolate bits. Children would have been totally hyperactive after eating this little lot

6 hour 40mins flight overall. Landing at Logan was fine and immigration a positive pleasure (they really are a personable lot at Logan). Return check-in and flight was very similar so not worth reporting on.

Plusses - All flights on time. Despite the less room through coach roll-out, the seat pitch in the mini Y cabin was still excellent compared to Y in VS or BA.
Minuses - check in shambles, food quality, service from the cabin crew.

I guess, overall it was good value for a short hop across the pond but poor old AA are really let down by their cabin crews.