#240777 by milehigh
15 Feb 2006, 03:40
Having booked this flight some 5 months before for a mere 3.99 GBP plus taxes etc... total 41.50 GBP return. The time had come to see how ThomsonFly compared to other low cost carriers.

The check in opened exactly 2 hours before the flight and we were at the front of the line, There were only 2 desks open and Bournemouth Airport were still using a sticker seat map, But a printed boarding card with a bar code with a reference to your photo which was taken at the check-in for security control. As Cabin crew I asked if there were exit seats after the flight closed if I could be considered, as Crew who better for the airline to have at the door in an emergency, after all they need to have minimum of two people by the exit by CAA requirement.

Check-in agent allocated me the row in front so it would be easy to move if the exits were not sold. We made our way through security and the wonderfull barcode on my boarding card did not scan so I still had to produce my Passport, the Security search at Bournemouth was very tight, Like the USA but friendly and not on a power trip, (Securicor aviation)

In the departure lounge there were lots of seats by the gates, which resembled a port-a-cabin. then walk through further and there was a small 'Duty Free' shop which was moderatly priced and had most essential items for travel from Batteries,personal hygene and newspapers etc.

There is a small bar and a restraunt. we were able to find a seat next to the window with a good view of the apron and aircraft.

We were eventually called for boarding about 35 minutes before pushback and took our seats, I mentioned to the flight Attendant that I was crew myself and if there was anything I could do eg.sit with a nervous customer let me know.

The doors closed and the crew were sorting out a party of 4 who had requested seats online and not given to them, they moved them into the 2 exit rows. (my friends also failed to get the requests !) Any way it was a Boeing 737-500 and there are two rows at an exit so after the safety demo I moved into the second exit row as both sides were still empty. until the senior attendant asked me where I was sat ' just there in row 11' sorry but these seats are charged for you cant sit there!! the younger girl who I spoke to just smiled and told the senior CM that I was crew.' you should know better'

I never said anything and sat back in the allocated seat, Later I asked why now one was sat there as it was a CAA requirement I was told there was someone in the front row, This left me puzzled as if the lady by the window was incapacitated in an emergency there would be no one to open the door (on either side). I also observed that row 1 oppisite the forward crewmember was also not occupied ??? when there should be a minimum of two people.

Are they more concerned with the money and leaving legroom as a charged priviledge than the safety aspect?

Anyway it was a short flight of just under 2 hours, We got airborne ahead of schedule and landed some 20 minutes early. The seats were nice leatherette grey but had no recline, Somthing that doesnt bother me on a short flight, no person in fron to cripple my knees. Neither did the arm rests lift up.

The first service was selling scratchcards to win Thomson holiday money or duty free. then the snacks which were for sale. very reasonable prices considering 2x mixers and 2xspirits only 5 quid.

Tea,coffee and Hot Choc was only about 1.50 for a decent large cup

when we got to Salzburg we were 20 minutes early and had cleared immigration, got out bags and were outside the building within 30 minutes of touchdown!!

All in all the flight was good and apart fom my concern over the exits not being occupied in the event of a emergency. I really enjoyed the Flight and ThomsonFly are probably my preferred low cost airline of choice at the moment.