#241029 by sky
25 Feb 2006, 00:46
After figuring out that water taxi and taxi would cost me only 10 USD less than a flight between Caye Caulker and Belize International, while saving me roughly 75 minutes at least.

I departed with my money the day before, close to a shocking 8 USD per flying minute for the 7 minute flight, and got a neatly printed eticket and was told to show up 25 minutes before departure.

I booked a limousine to pick me up 35 minutes before departure, and though it wasn't complimentary, for 3 USD the practical golf cart did carry me and my luggage to the airport on time. Checkin was a breeze, conducted in a very spacious checkin hall, outside the terminal, and consisted of the attentive checkin agent remembering me from yesterday and lifting my luggage up on a cart.

I then wondered off to the frequent flyer lounge which was directly at the end of the runway, and had some lovely lizards running around. The breeze cooled us down perfectly and balanced out the sun. After a little while we saw the Cessna Caravan approach and come in for landing. Standing in the path of the plane as it quickly deaccelerated and then turned to the gate area.

The staff quickly waved me towards the plane and I verified they were loading my luggage as I took the rear seat. I accepted a voluntarily downgrade from the co-pilot seat as one passanger on board was training to fly Cessnas and wanted to see it up front. Oh well, I am a nice guy sometimes.

We were airborn really quickly and set off towards BZE, flight time was around 8 minutes and a quick un eventful journey, though spectacularly breataking to see large shoals of fish from the air. I suspect I did see some really large rays as well.

After takedown the porters handed us our luggage within minutes, priority tagging was in effect and in exchange for my tags, I got my luggage handed over to another porter who carried it over to the AA desk.

If you are travelling alone, I can warmly recommend this, since the water taxi can be quite dull without company, and if you aren't splitting the cab fare, it gets pretty much price even.

[:D]

cheers
sky