#241077 by mike-smashing
27 Feb 2006, 08:11
Firstly, good morning from Seat 19K of 9V-SPA at 37000ft over the Pakistan-Indian border! We've got about five and half hours to run to Singapore on the first leg of my round the world trip.

I'd ordered a Tristar car to come and take me to Heathrow, and the car turned up about 10 minutes early - good job as he couldn't find my flat, and had to phone up. The car was a Mercedes rather than the usual Volvo, and didn't have all the normal satnav and gubbins in the front. We made good time to Heathrow, despite a bit of traffic on the Embankment leading to some detours through some backstreets around the Kings Road, navigation courtesy of the London A-Z on my Nokia 9500. Not the usual Tristar experience. I'm guessing that the job was actually contracted out to some other exec car company.

Anyway, the usual 1h15 minute run to Heathrow - it's only quicker in the early hours of the morning - found me at T3, and dropped right by the door for the SIA check-in.

No wait for Raffles check-in, upper deck seat and my 'Book-the-Cook' selection of the Cantonese-style roasted duck confirmed by the friendly Aviance check-in person. Despite my checked bag feeling stunningly heavy, it turned out to be only 23 kilos, and I waved it goodbye, hoping to see it again a little over 24 hours later in Australia!

Upstairs to see what sort of state security was in - surprised to see only a very short queue at Fast Track, but there was signs of it having been much worse earlier in the day. Interestingly, the BAA are happy to accept my laptop in it's Timbuk2 foam laptop sleeve, so it makes the laptop circus slightly more bearable. I'm carrying one more bag than usual today, because I've brought stuff in order to freshen up during the connection at Changi. I really felt like I could do with an extra pair of arms!

The immigration people had put a departure cordon up, and were inspecting passports of departing passengers today, so there was no 'fast-exit' from FastTrack, but through the Duty Free shop with the rest of the Hoi Polloi.

Having picked up a handful of Aussie Dollars, I headed off to the Silver Kris Lounge, which was a short trek down several deserted corridors. It's unusual seeing Heathrow so quiet!

The Raffles 'side' of the Silver Kris lounge is to the right as you pass reception, and up some stairs, past an ornamental waterfall and a model of the A380 that SIA's Chief Exec is currently getting seriously worked up about. He apparently had a fit at Airbus because of the delays delivering the new aircraft.

The lounge itself is comfortable, with a bar and help-yourself buffet, TV's, a good work area (something like 8-10 work carrels), a very small 'smoking room' (looked more like a cupboard). Showers are available on the lower floor if you need to freshen up, while washrooms are in the Raffles Lounge.

The buffet consisted of soup, some warm Asian starters, cheese plates, and sandwiches. Beers on offer are Tiger, Fosters and Boddingtons Draught, from a well stocked help-yourself fridge. From the lounge, there was a nice view of the departure runway, just where the short-hauls were getting airborne, and the narrowbody gates that Scandinavian normally use (and a view of some Scandinavians heading home in their gate room). About an hour before boarding, some Connexion by Boeing promo girls came in to inform us that the aircraft tonight has internet access and gave out free 30 minute trial vouchers.

I decided to start to head down to the gate before the boarding call in the lounge, so that I had time to get settled. We were on stand 323, which is the one in the bottom of the cul-de-sac, next to the VS Clubhouse, meaning that I could get a good view of our aircraft, 747-400 9V-SPA being readied for our flight, the holds were just being closed up as I got there.

There was no scrum at the gate, despite a fairly busy flight, my documents were checked by a screener from Initial, and my boarding card collected by an Aviance agent.

Inside the gate room, boarding was already in progress, and the economy cabin seems to be boarded from the back. There were also Connexion by Boeing promo girls there as well. A person holds up a sign saying 'Boarding Rows X-Y', but being in Raffles, we're free to board as we wish, and pointed to the left down a seperate jetway to join at the L1 door, where I was welcomed by two of the senior cabin crew, greeted by name and directed to the stairs. Upstairs, and I was also greeted by name after showing my boarding card, by the Lead Flight Attendant in the bubble, who also checked the for correct pronunciation of my name.

So, I meet my home for the next 13 hours, one of SIA's 'Spacebeds'. For the uninitiated, it's an evolution of the J2000 seat - a 'sinking' near-flat recliner, with some nice modifications - like a wider seat with better armrests, storage pods for your shoes, etc. The armrests also 'retract' as you recline the seat, to stop your shoulders from being 'pinched' as you lie flat.

The IFE was actually enabled on the ground, set to the skymap, and drinks were promptly offered once I'd had time to get settled and my stuff stored away. Champagne, water, juice and a couple of SQ's speciality drinks - a Singapore Sling and a Silver Kris Sling were offered from a tray. I took the bubbly, which was a decent 1999 vintage Piper. Quite agreeable, and even got a refill.

The cabin soon filled up. I was hoping for an open seat next to me, but it wasn't to be, as one of the last to board came and sat next to me.

The Singaporean Captain came on the PA to welcome us, and thanked us all for being punctual, the last couple of stragglers boarded and the door was closed while he was talking with us, and we were ready to push back 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

I got a good view of Phase 2 of the Clubhouse during the push-back. It seems to be really taking shape, and can't be far off. It will more than double the size of the lounge, which is great news. There seems to be a much bigger 'conservatory' area, and it looks like there may even be an outdoor terrace. Looking forward to that. Hopefully I'll be doing a trip with VS at some point. A lot of my US travel this year is to places VS don't fly (like CHI) and/or are difficult to connect to (like STL). An event which is usually in BOS is in YUL this year... Air Canada! Aaaagg! I see a lot of UA sectors in my future. At least there's an SFO in the offing in June!

Anyway, we taxied out past the T5 building site, the Captain came on again to inform us we were about to line up on Runway 09R, that we will weigh 385 tonnes, 'quite light', on takeoff, and the takeoff roll will take about 50 seconds, with a Vr of about 200mph (or 175 knots). He did call the 'North Sea' between Clacton and Rotterdam 'The Channel'. Oh well.

Smooth takeoff and climb out, with excellent visibility in the London area beneath the cloud cover. I could see both Crystal Palace masts, and all the way out to the next set of big masts, near Wrotham!

We climbed out of the London area, drinks were served (thought I had better try a Singapore Sling!), meal selections confirmed, and I started up Harry Potter. The SIA Wisemen 3000 is basically the same as V:Port, it's the same underlying MAS AVOD system, with a few differences (such as more primitive skymap), but it largely behaved really well. I really put that down to it not being shut down and started up all the time. I'd say that these systems are much more stable if they are just started up left alone.

SIA have a bad habit of 'handholding' the user through the system, and prefacing their films with adverts and information clips, but at least you can fast forward through them.

The food was of a very good quality, and with the late (10pm) departure, a lighter 'supper' menu containing Gordon Ramsay 'creations' was offered, rather than dinner. That did mean no satay! Waaaagh! I really hope they have satay on the connecting flight!

To start, large prawns with asparagus and salad, a choice of dressings, and a bread basket. My 'Book the Cook' Cantonese Duck with Steamed Rice came next. Not bad. All washed down with a decent chardonnay. This was followed by cheese or dessert offered from a cart - mmm, stilton, with a glass of Taylors LBV 2000 port. The cart came around for a second pass giving out any spare desserts (a rhubarb and vanilla 'dome' - quite nice apart from the frozen middle - an example of something which doesn't port too well to airline food) and the remaining cheeses.

The food service certainly lived up to my expectations, though I didn't have my camera to hand, so I couldn't get any photos to post.

The rest of the flight has passed uneventfully, I noted a different attitude between crew members about whether or not they mind you hanging around at the top of the stairs or around the galley. Of the three crew upstairs, the guy didn't mind at all and was quite talkative. The 'in charge' stewardess upstairs was a little more fierce! I really miss the Bar! It's great to have somewhere to go which isn't your seat on these long flights. I hope SQ have one on the A380.

Managed a few hours sleep in the Spacebed. Better than J2000, but not the Suite, and then woke up and gave into the Internet connection! $26 for 24 hours access (so the flight your on, and any Connexion equippped connecting flights) isn't bad at all.

While I've been on the computer, the glass of water next to me has been regularly topped up, and I've had a couple of really good strong cappucinos. A selection of gourmet single origin coffees are offered, as well as an SIA 'blend'.

We're now over the Bay of Bengal, with Bangladesh off our left side. The only thing is that I wish I could open the windowshade and see, but many people are still sleeping!

I'll update the TR when I've got off at SIN, but that's it for now.

Cheers,
Mike