#242060 by Howard Long
12 Apr 2006, 20:23
EK413 (First) 21:10-05:45 SYD-DXB 2 April 2006

After a rather long lunch at the Wildfire Restaurant in the cruise ship terminal on the Rocks (recommended for its wine list BTW), there was some confusion over the pick up. For some reason the airline had given the driver the GFs name and not mine, so despite the Maitre d knowing I was waiting for a car, the names didnt match. Eventually we hooked up just before both he and I were about to give up.

Having arrived in SYD earlier that day, Id left my bags at the International terminal to save me pulling them around with me. Once wed arrived twenty minutes later, I picked them up straight away and proceeded to check in that was empty. Security was equally fast, and we proceeded straight to the lounge.

In the brand new combined business and first Emirates lounge, offerings were similar to the other Emirates lounges outside Dubai, so I guess that means points for consistency at least.

The flight was called, and we boarded quickly and were shown to our seats, 3E and 3F. This was an A340-500, the long range version of the aircraft, as SYD-DXB is nearly a fifteen hour flight. The configuration in first is three rows of 1-2-1, twelve seats in all. They are arranged in suites, each with their own sliding door onto the aisle, affording the utmost in privacy. The middle seats also have an electrically operated central divider.

There are no overhead lockers, but there is plenty of space around the seat, as well as a neat individual wardrobe in front of each seat to hang your hanging up thingies.

The IFE is the 500 channel ICE system, identical to that in Emirates 777-300ER and refurbished 777-200s, with the enormous 19 screens. Laptop power is provided with a US style AC socket.

Service is different on the A340-500 compared to that found onboard Emirates 777 fleet. Rather than sticking to the set mealtime, all the food is on an on-demand basis. However, as Ive mentioned before elsewhere on other Emirates A340-500 flights in First, most folks stick to a standard dinner, sleep, breakfast routine.

Another change is that pyjamas are offered. Hurray! Theyre not the most attractive, though, being a rather non-descript beige colour, similar to the Emirates FAs suit colour. The standard amenity kits are offered too, but in addition there is a neat little Clinique box full of stuff for the ladies. Its stored under a mirror that flips up with a fan fare of celebrity style lights.

On boarding, the usual Dom Perignon and Arabic coffee were offered, although I missed my coffee and figs as I was in the loo putting on my jammies. Luckily I didnt miss the DP.

The IFE was switched on later than usual, but it was switched on before takeoff I think that this was an oversight.

After take off, service started with Dom Perignon and a small saucer of olives and feta. Canap_s were then offered. Starters were Lobster Salad or Peppered Australian Lamb Loin. I had the lobster which was OK but the fancy mango panacotta served with it made a wine selection difficult, although I kept to the white 2003 Ch La Louviere Pessac Leognan. Sadly no caviar was available.

As all the food service is available on demand, there is no traditional trolley service. In some ways I prefer the old way, where you could see exactly what you were getting before committing.

I skipped the soup and salad courses. For mains, on offer were Rosemary Chicken, Szechuan Chilli Prawns, Braised Veal Shanks and Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli. I took the Chilli Prawns which were pretty good, but not spectacular. I remained on the Pessac Leognan.

I skipped cheese, and for dessert there was Mini Desserts and Chocolate Macadamia and Walnut Pudding available. I took the Mini Desserts (Lychee Compote, Sticky Rice Pudding and Fresh Mango ice cream) which sounded good but was rather disappointing except for the Mango ice cream.

After fresh mint tea in my own personal tea pot, I took a few more Dom Perignons and settled down for a blissful eight hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Although I slept very well, I did not find the seat very comfortable: I could not seem to get the seat flat enough to be able to lie on my side. It turned out that I had two problems. Firstly the seat sensors thought my bag in the storage area at my feat was getting in the way so it wouldnt go that last inch or two, and also I had failed to put down the mini-mattress. Once Id woken up refreshed eight hours later I got round to analysing the situation, but it was of course too late!

Two and a half hours from landing and I decided to go for breakfast. I took the awesome Australian Mixed Grill, consisting of beef tenderloin, lamb cutlet, veal sausage, sauteed mushrooms, slow roasted tomato, baby spinach and roesti potatoes. As usual, the meat was massively over cooked, but it still tasted great, especially with a few more DP's.

Landing at Dubai we were treated to the all-to-frequent twenty minute bus ride around the tarmac followed by fifteen minutes in a queue at the transit area.

The big pro on the Emirates A340-500 in First Class is the privacy of the seating, cocooned in your own suite with sliding doors. Pyjamas are welcome. Service is good, but the minor drawback of the suite is that the crew cannot know whether you need anything without using the crew call: they cannt really wonder round looking out for possible requests with all those doors shut. You really do fall back to Earth with a bump when you have to suffer the long bus ride and transit area at DXB. Still, I really love being able to have a proper nights sleep on these long flights. Did I want to get off? No.

DP Consumption so far this trip: 5 5/6 bottles.