#260801 by gingerflyer
29 Sep 2009, 20:31
After a rather surprisingly chilly and wet San Antonio, it was time to leave and head for a couple of days in Dallas. Typically, it was warming up on the day I left. Got a cab out to the airport, which is a huge building site at the moment. Bypassed the kerb side check-in, and headed for the terminal (in the warm sunshine!).

Got inside, and over to the self-service check-in. I was early and wanted to try and get on an earlier flight (I was picking up a car at DFW and would have preferred to start driving in daylight). The very helpful assistant, said that all you did was hit the 'request standby' button, and then check-in as normal. I was offered a $45 upgrade to First - decided not to take it as didn't want to reduce chance for moving flight. I was then offered a standby upgrade on a flight departing in 35 minutes - opted for that (but declined the guaranteed upgrade, since I thought that I would get on so close to the flight). Had to shell out $15 for the bag - which I think would have been free if I had upgraded to First; bit of a queue to do this and although there was no one at First check-in, there was no way that the guy there was going to call anyone in coach forward! Had to drop bag off at TSA - had non-approved lock, so had to wait until it had been screened before I could leave....then off to security. In my rush, I forgot to take a bottle of water out - everything that could slow me down was doing so!

Got to the gate about 25 minutes before departure, only to find that the plane had just arrived and was being turned around. Boarding was a little late, although it was relatively quick. In moving flights, I had gone from Row 9 to Row 26 (almost at the back). I now realise that the boarding groups are to do with seat number, rather than time of arrival at the airport. I was also unlikely to be in the middle of two large gentleman.

Short taxi and then take-off - very odd being at the back of an MD-80. Slight noisey and behind the wing - seemed unusual as we took off. Short flight, during which the attendants managed to do a beverage round - the couple in front went for vodka/diet coke, but never actually paid as the credit card machine wasn't working. I opted for something soft as I was driving on arrival.

Long taxi after landing at DFW, noticing the BA flight from LHR parked up and being prepared for the departure back that evening. It took a while to disembark as I was at the back, but I had luggage to collect anyway. Bags started coming off as I got to the carousel and mine was off very quickly.....then off to the shuttle to the car rental area.

All in all a good flight - I do like the option of being able to standby for earlier flights. There is the option to pay for a guarantee, that I might have used if there had been a big wait between flights.