#920045 by Sealink
15 Apr 2016, 23:44
Another return home flight! This time my last trip from Hannover to London.

I’ll start with some pictures and my thoughts on Hannover and some of the places I visited, before describing the flight.

Who would have thought that just over an hour on BA 979 from Hannover would represent the very best service I have experienced on BA… ever!

So, the weather was great!

Hannover was much busier than I expected and while quite interesting it didn’t feel terribly ‘touristy’. I was also a bit under the weather so that probably influenced my enjoyment.

I had arrived at the Suite Novotel at midnight, and check-in was efficient, with no credit card requested (this hotel was booked/paid via BA Holidays).

I headed up to the room on the 6th floor.

The room was huge (for the price paid) but quite functional.

The next morning I faffed about until about noon before heading down to the lobby and out into town.

The hotel from the outside.

Hannover looked a bit bleak at first…

It always nice to see how our European neighbours shop…

But a wander down some streets presented some surprises.

There was a big demonstration taking place in the city, or a football match. I didn’t feel like hanging around, and had already discovered that the town of Hamlyn was very close… I would head there to learn about the Pied Piper.

Hannover station was bustling, trains to Hameln were every 30 minutes, and I noted, most running ‘a few minutes late’ – c’mon Deutsche Bahn!!

Believe it or not, I didn’t quite understand the local ticketing system, with the DB machines offering tickets for different local areas and anyway, I ended up with the wrong ticket. I didn’t want to fall foul of a penalty fare, so jumped off at a little place called Springe, and bought a ticket for the next train to Hameln.

By the way, this was one of the local trains (S-Bahn).

Hameln station was lovely.

As was the town… the German town from fairytales…

There were beautiful buildings around every corner…

And evil looking statues…

But back to the buildings…

Anyway, you get the idea, Hameln was lovely.
And apparently there are, in their history books, accounts of a time when all the children in the locality disappeared…

AND THEN THIS HAPPENED

I WILL NOT FORGET THIS, GERMANY.

I headed back to Hannover on a pretty empty train.

Next day, I didn’t do much. I was still fighting a cold so spent the morning watching Modern Family on Netflix, (not available on Netflix UK).

I checked out and had a few drinks in the hotel bar,

Headed to the train station and waited for my train back to the airport.

It had a nice retro feel, and I was slightly amazed at the number of flights going to Turkey.

The lounge used by BA is before security, and is pretty non-descript.

There was one member of staff who was very pleasant.

There was nothing else to do but a bit of plane spotting….

A Turkish Airlines jet arrived and looked stunning.

You can just make it out behind the Freebird one…

No, me either.

I headed to the gate where some semblance of priority boarding was made.

The aircraft had the ‘Dove’ scheme, you can just see the scheme from this pic of our FlyBe neighbour…

Usual Club Europe / Economy seat.

A shame that the mini-table was stained. I have noticed this a few times before on BA.

My slight OCD kicked in…

However, the cabin services manager was superb.

He addressed all CE passengers by name – that hasn’t happened on any of my BA flights, ever.

The currency collection charity announcement was much more heartfelt than I have ever heard- adding how much would be raised if everyone donated just 50p.

Pre-dinner champagne was presented like this: (notice that I used the hot towel to clean the table. You’re welcome BA!!!)

Dinner was a hearty Turkey Caesar salad. (With more Champagne).
Again, when he took my order, he addressed me by name.

Quite a nice dessert.

We flew through a storm cloud and seatbelt signs were switched on. I noticed a few flashes of lightning, before seeing London below.

We arrived at Pier B in T5 (Grrrr.) but thankfully T5 Border Control was on form and fast. Although AGAIN, passengers don’t understand how it works and numerous people got stuck in the automatic e-readers.

This was the last of my numerous weekend breaks – I still hope to post my other journeys home from Bilbao, Iceland and Gothenburg.

But D, the BA cabin services manager provided the best service I have ever had on BA, and naturally an email to BA to say that was sent.

But next up is a trip to Scotland that co-incides with the Edinburgh FlyerTalk (!!!) meet up. My journey will include the sleeper to Scotland, FlyBe to Kirkwall, a ferry to the mainland, Eastern Airways to Aberdeen, a train to Edinburgh and Ryanair Business First to Stansted.
Last edited by Sealink on 16 Apr 2016, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
#920054 by tomthumb
16 Apr 2016, 08:51
Great trip report and pictures
#920056 by hiljil
16 Apr 2016, 09:27
Thank you. A brilliant informative read as always.
#920064 by TimCrawley
16 Apr 2016, 10:06
A stunning trip report, thanks a lot for posting - some reminders of my time in HAJ and a big reminder that I still haven't gone back to Hameln in far too long (always seem to get sidetracked by a schutzenfest, altstadtfest or some other German excuse for a fest of beer & sausages).
Virgin Atlantic