#925979 by horburyflyer
10 Sep 2016, 15:58
So after yet another 'bullet' trip it was time to head home and I decided to head home on the direct Delta service to MAN for a change. I've done this route a few times and it's not VS but it ain't half bad IMO!

So with a departure time of 2250 this required a late check out of the hotel which was secured for 6pm without any kind of fee - at least some benefit from that Hilton Diamond status! To be fair the Hilton JFK is always good to me and they always secure a room overlooking JFK for me and the lounge is pretty good for breakfast and in the evening they do serve complimentary alcohol between 6pm-9pm and both hot and cold finger food.

Shuttle across to the airport and check in was a breeze. Sadly security was not and was like a zoo. The fast-track option at JFK really isn't as it snakes around into the main area but a few deep breaths later and we were through.

First stop was the JFK Clubhouse arriving around 7pm and welcomed well...just welcomed to be honest. Thankfully a few of the team in there know me and after a few hellos and a catch up we settled down at the bar and enjoyed some items from the tapas menu...and a curry! All delicious.

image.jpg
image.jpg (343.6 KiB) Viewed 9391 times

One of the bar team and regulars will know who I mean....prepared for me a delicious vodka, lemon and mint cocktail. It was delicious.

I was advised the Clubhouse would close at 9pm and a little while before just as the VS10 was being called I collected my bits and bobs and said a few goodbyes and headed downstairs to visit the Delta Sky Club on the B concourse. The time in the CH was a reminder why I fly VS.

I was welcomed at the desk by name and thanked for being so loyal to VS. The place was a like a zoo. So decided to have a shower and freshen up which actually was quite nice. I managed to find a spare table and had a quick G&T and tried a Brooklyn pale ale. Quite tasty.

Boarding was scheduled to begin at 2200 at B35 so a little before I headed downstairs. The difference between the Sky Club and the CH is enormous and I came to the conclusion once again that the T4 Sky Club is just terrible.

Boarding began at 2200 and being in Delta One I was the first on the 76W. Clearly two Air Marshals were also on board as they were already in their seats. I was in 1A and at the seat was the duvet and large pillow, the noise cancelling headset, a bottle of water and a small packet of salted cashews. The TUMI amenity kit was also on the seat.

Soon after a glass of cava or OJ was offered. The flight manager then came around with the menu for the flight, issued a personal welcome and confirmed the flight time of 6hrs10mins.

With 20 of the 25 Delta one seats taken and a full Y+ & Y cabins we pushed back at 2240. On the taxi out the flight manager came around to take meal orders. The flight had a CC of 8 with a flight deck crew of 3.

Take off came at 2310 and we took off into the night sky or as the captain explained we would be heading north, then east to Manchester....!!! :D

Hot towels were soon offered. For the first two hours of the flight it was really bumpy. In fact probably the worst rough air I've encountered for quite a few years. Service couldn't commence though an hour into the flight they did bring out the cart with drinks and a little 'settling in' snack....I ended up holding the cart as it was rocking from side to side and the flight manager who was serving my side of the cabin kept having to sit down!

The menu for the flight was the 'Fall' menu and is:

Settling In

Goats Cheese Mousse with roasted apples, duck confit and Carmelized butternut squash

Starters

Lemon Bulgur Salad
Celeriac and Smoked Blue Cheese Soup

Main Course

Lamb Pave with Roasted Mushrooms
Sweet and Smoky Breast of Chicken
Seafood Spinach Lasagne
Goat Cheese and Chive Ravioli

Desserts

Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae - with a choice of sauces, nuts, wafer cookie and whipped cream
Warm Apple Butter Cake with vanilla ice cream
Selection of Cheese and fig compote

Tables were laid for dinner at 0030 which was rather late but the rough air was delaying things considerably. At this point I had decided sleep wasn't really an option too.

The salad, soup and bread as usual on Delta is served at once on a tray. Wine and water was also offered though wine couldn't be served in the normal wine glasses so everything was served in tumblers.

image.jpg
image.jpg (392.44 KiB) Viewed 9391 times

The chicken was actually very good and went well with the red pepper and blue cheese mash and green beans.

The ice-cream sundae was a delight.

image.jpg
image.jpg (393.11 KiB) Viewed 9391 times

I skipped the cheese and settled down. I should say a dine and rest option was available when everything is served at once but I didn't see one person in the cabin doing this which for a short East-coast flight a little strange.

The westin heavenly duvet is so soft and with the large pillow, the cabin was nice and cool, I like the personal space around the seat and facing forward does make a difference I think. I slept for just over two hours. I rarely sleep on VS it must be said.

I did get up once during the night to use the washroom and the two Air Marshals were sat bolt up right whilst everyone else had their beds out! In the galley was a selection of snacks and the crew asked if I wanted anything else.

Breakfast was served 55mins before landing which I thought was good and started with hot towels. This was followed by juice, yoghurt, fruit and either granola or biscuit with pork sausage gravy and scrambled eggs.

The biscuit was actually pretty good. Coffee and juice were regularly topped up. Throughout the crew were friendly and helpful and rather attentive. I must have been served half a dozen water bottles as rather than fill them, they simply offered a new one. On the final approach a bottle of water was offered to everyone along with a mint chocolate and we were thanked for flying Delta.

We touched down at 1020 on 23R and taxied to stand 214. I left the aircraft at 1030 was quickly through immigration and saw the Swissport agent ahead of me place a case on the belt which said 'thank you for flying Delta and your bags will arrive shortly' which I thought was quite funny!

The bag arrived quickly and I thanked the Delta rep in the baggage area for a fantastic quick delivery and I was at the airport train station by 1045 waiting for my train to Yorkshire.

All in all a good flight. The rough air was terrible and restricted the service somewhat but I found the crew friendly and helpful. The seat I have liked before and it reminded me that actually the personal space around the seat is a big plus. I did miss the VS flair and of course no PJs though Delta do now serve Gardet champagne too...which wasn't a plus!

I find DL in the U.S. very hit and miss. I've had some great flights and some terrible ones. Internationally I find DL reliable, consistent and I like the service and the seat.

Thanks for reading.

Jon
Last edited by horburyflyer on 18 Sep 2016, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
#925980 by SlimpyJones
10 Sep 2016, 16:51
Cheers for the report Jon. Incidentally my next flight is on DL - was originally set to fly MAN-ATL on Christmas Eve, but that was cancelled and I was rebooked for the Delta service departing LHR, so I've been keen to read first hand accounts of DL's TATL service.
Sounds like it should be good at the very least. :)
#925982 by hiljil
10 Sep 2016, 16:55
Thank you for an interesting TR.

I'm not sure I could eat that late but it did sound good - particularly the ice cream ! I am now having to search for a photo of the type of seat you were in to satisfy my curiosity !
#925984 by horburyflyer
10 Sep 2016, 17:25
hiljil wrote:Thank you for an interesting TR.

I'm not sure I could eat that late but it did sound good - particularly the ice cream ! I am now having to search for a photo of the type of seat you were in to satisfy my curiosity !

Not a great photo...but here you go. The cabin is staggered so the odd numbers are closer to the window and the even ones closer to the aisle in a 1-2-1 configuration, so direct aisle access for everyone. The seat can feel quite narrow when totally flat and some people have referred it to a 'coffin'....but it's comfortable.

So when converted into a bed...your feet slide under the monitor into a cubby area which is quite spacious.

image.jpg
image.jpg (279.96 KiB) Viewed 9351 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (371.38 KiB) Viewed 9351 times
#925985 by horburyflyer
10 Sep 2016, 17:33
SlimpyJones wrote:Cheers for the report Jon. Incidentally my next flight is on DL - was originally set to fly MAN-ATL on Christmas Eve, but that was cancelled and I was rebooked for the Delta service departing LHR, so I've been keen to read first hand accounts of DL's TATL service.
Sounds like it should be good at the very least. :)

I find Delta on TATL routes very good. Even more so on a daytime flight when service is drawn out you get to engage with the crew more, as of course with any airline. I do like DL and I hope you have a great flight from LHR.

Looking forward to VS starting JFK next spring though which is selling very well by all accounts too but until then DL is good though often their flights are fully booked from MAN, though I often book close to the wire!

Jon
#925988 by David
10 Sep 2016, 17:48
Jon,

The TR I've been waiting on - Delta One !

Out of EDI into JFK there are some unbelievable high prices, but every now and again you get some belters.

I've found it as low as £1100 return but as high as £4000 :-O

At the lower end, it's very tempting to try especially with the easy connections down to MCO but was always a little worried what it might turn out to be (even though it's only around 6 hours)

Now could be tempted to give it a try at the end of the year but first VS's ex DUB next weekend.

Thanks again

David
#925990 by horburyflyer
10 Sep 2016, 19:35
David wrote:Jon,

The TR I've been waiting on - Delta One !

Out of EDI into JFK there are some unbelievable high prices, but every now and again you get some belters.

I've found it as low as £1100 return but as high as £4000 :-O

At the lower end, it's very tempting to try especially with the easy connections down to MCO but was always a little worried what it might turn out to be (even though it's only around 6 hours)

Now could be tempted to give it a try at the end of the year but first VS's ex DUB next weekend.

Thanks again

David

I did think of you David actually as someone ahead of me at the bar in the Sky Club was heading to EDI and was so excited about it....I also noticed the menu is also valid for DL flights to EDI!! Not long now until your trip, can't wait to hear all about it.. :D

image.jpg
image.jpg (348.74 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (339.08 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (236.33 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
#925991 by hiljil
10 Sep 2016, 20:43
Thank you for the extra photos showing me the seat ! :D
#926024 by buns
12 Sep 2016, 07:16
Jon

Thanks for the super TR (apologies for being late on parade BTW)

Sorry to hear the security lines at JFK are still as bad as they were a year ago :-( However I did enjoy you "compare and contrast" of the Clubhouse and the Sky Club

Thanks once again

buns
#926032 by pjh
12 Sep 2016, 09:05
Thanks for the "Don't Fear The Delta (except for the Sky Club)" post. The seat to bed arrangement is pretty much the same as on Qantas and Emirates.

On a slightly different topic, is that the only Hilton in the US to do truly complimentary alcohol in the exec lounge? :)
#926270 by horburyflyer
16 Sep 2016, 19:18
pjh wrote:Thanks for the "Don't Fear The Delta (except for the Sky Club)" post. The seat to bed arrangement is pretty much the same as on Qantas and Emirates.

On a slightly different topic, is that the only Hilton in the US to do truly complimentary alcohol in the exec lounge? :)

I think it might well be....well I don't know of any other Hilton in the US that do but I will say at the Hilton JFK they are very generous indeed with the drinks. A lovely team in the Executive lounge.
Virgin Atlantic