#940396 by Sealink
29 Dec 2017, 07:25
Christmas in New York - a first for me. And possible thanks to a fantastic deal in the BA July sale, where they always have great value Christmas breaks to the city that never sleeps.

This also marked my first time flying with American, so that leaves only United I have yet to sample. Oh and Air Canada. And WestJet.

Heathrow Terminal Three
Noticed that business class is in Area B and headed there. It's adjacent to the Virgin check-in area, and I have to admit, I was feeling buyers regret as I walked past the purple palace! As I approached the business check in desks a gentleman asked which class I am in, and perhaps due to my accent, if I have "status" with BA.

When I inform him I am BA Gold he directed me away from the Business check in to the First Class area, where, after a short wait, I was given my boarding pass by a very pleasant agent. He mentioned the AA Lounge but also suggested I try the new Qantas lounge. I thought this was a nice touch.

The Qantas lounge is closed until 7.55am, so I decide to visit the AA Admirals Club for the first time.

Again, very friendly service and I am directed to the First section which has Moet on free pour.

I actually like this place. Its nicely laid out, theres a table service restaurant and its bright.
It's no clubhouse, and the picture doesn't do it justice, I'd have happily stayed there longer.

But I want to sample the new Qantas Lounge - and I head there at around 9am.

It's very nice: small but stylish.

There are three people here so service has been very attentive! No hot food yet, but a good selection of breakfast pastries, yogurts etc.

Headed to Gate 6, which was really fairly close to the lounge, and priority boarding in place. Unfortunately, the passengers in front of me haven't supplied some necessary information and they take ages. I'm not sure how they got to the gate without supplying the info.

Anyway, we are called over by the staff at the economy desk and soon enough we are on board.
Now on board. Offered usual water, orange or sparkling wine: in plastic glasses. This seems usual for US Airlines before take off.

Seat is comfortable but narrow - I really like the high back - and legroom is great.

My Normal Carriage...

Legroom

One thing that was odd was that the inflight safety video was on this screen. On BA, they flip the screens out while this is playing.

I loved the AA video, really well done and kept my attention. And its the kind of video I'd watch again to see what I'd missed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb28mVZiJo

One thing I noted is that as well as the standard seat belt, American had a seat belt style belt which has to be worn too. It connects to the standard belt.

Today's menu

Meal orders are taken before take off and I note that American offer inflight Wifi. For USD 19.00.
Well, I'm on holiday...! Incidentally, Aer Lingus is the only airline that I have flown who offer this for free in J.

A little bit Ryanair with two very hard sell announcements about American Airlines credit cards.

Hot towels handed our about 15 minutes after take off, and Bose headphones.

Staff are pleasant. Unlike my first DL experience where I found them to be very distant.

I admit, I didn't get the hang of this remote at all. The screen didn't see what to do what the remote wanted.

Soon, lunch is served. But first, a drink.

On TV, is an American series called The Mick, which is hilarious. It's about a rich family whose parents are on the run from the Inland Revenue, and leave their not-so-rich cousin to look after their spoilt kids.

I'm also delighted to see a Doctor Who box set on offer!

Dessert followed.

A nice touch was that when I was offered a choice of toppings for the sundae, I hesitated. She then smiled and said "All of them, right?"

I took a walk down to the galley, to find this wonderful display. I didn't partake, but it all looked so pretty.
Someone at American has gone to a lot of effort to design this service.

More food... and I'm delighted to see Kent Crisps served. They are my favourite brand, quite niche really.

It was nice to see bread slices rather than ciabatta, panini etc. which is all very nice but can be too much.

Before long, and after a nice snooze, we were landing in JFK.

We got a car to the Blind Pig as my friend was desperate to see the Arsenal game. She's a huge fan.

New York - it's taken me a while to 'get' it. This was my third trip this year, and was really when I started to love the place. We ended up in amazing bars, chatting to amazing people, drinking amazing cocktails into the wee small hours.
We met people in pubs and ended up at their house for an after party! It was that kind of trip.

It was also surprising to hear New Yorkers bemoan the lack of places open on Christmas Day :) We had to remind them often about London on Christmas Day. We felt spoilt for choice!

Some things we visited:

Until we meet again, New York!!!
Last edited by Sealink on 29 Dec 2017, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
#940400 by SlimpyJones
29 Dec 2017, 08:35
Thanks for the interesting TR! The food reminds me very much of Delta. I sense a colour theme of "grey" with AA, would that be accurate?

Also interesting to see that AA have their First/Business section over in Zone B now, do they not have their own special area in Zone H any more?
#940402 by buns
29 Dec 2017, 09:09
Sealink
Thanks for the illustrated TR!!

IMHO I think you got a result with purchasing a BA sale fare and getting the AA product - from your pics, it does seem the seat is far more pleasing than the BA Club World offering ;-) Although it must have been hard to pass the VS Clubhouse :-D

Thanks once again - one day I will get to the Radio City Music Hall to see that Christmas show

buns
#940406 by hiljil
29 Dec 2017, 10:11
Thank you for an interesting TR. I really enjoyed the photos too.

So pleased you had a good time.
#940416 by pjh
29 Dec 2017, 14:20
Thanks for the TR; the pictures do really add '000s of words.

That looks like a pretty decent offering on AA. Did it look like you were on into a reasonably new aircraft?

Just about to head for breakfast before beginning our first day of our trip to NYC. Our plan for our first evening scuppered by a third world border experience followed by massive traffic disruption meaning our pick up was delayed. We did however manage a drink before bed, only it is was this morning rather than last evening. More of this anon.
#940429 by Sealink
29 Dec 2017, 22:08
SlimpyJones wrote:Thanks for the interesting TR! The food reminds me very much of Delta. I sense a colour theme of "grey" with AA, would that be accurate?

Also interesting to see that AA have their First/Business section over in Zone B now, do they not have their own special area in Zone H any more?

There was only AA Business and First in Zone B so was exclusive ...
#940430 by Sealink
29 Dec 2017, 22:10
pjh wrote:Thanks for the TR; the pictures do really add '000s of words.

That looks like a pretty decent offering on AA. Did it look like you were on into a reasonably new aircraft?

Just about to head for breakfast before beginning our first day of our trip to NYC. Our plan for our first evening scuppered by a third world border experience followed by massive traffic disruption meaning our pick up was delayed. We did however manage a drink before bed, only it is was this morning rather than last evening. More of this anon.

It was a 777. Forgot to add that the loos were great, very nicely designed with wood and faux wood flooring,
#940433 by Hamster
30 Dec 2017, 01:41
Thanks for the TR!

That particular AA J seat has always looked interesting (they have stopped fitting it after supply issues)

I find the food on AA nice, but more 'down to earth', and always love their sundaes!

AA don't flip the screens out for the safety video as they have screens on the bulkhead that satisfy FAA regulations...
#940438 by Sealink
30 Dec 2017, 06:20
Actually, one MAJOR thing I forgot to mention is that everytime the person behind me moved his seat, my seat moved slightly.
It wasn't a huge issue as he slept most of the time, but was aware of the movement.
#940439 by marshy11
30 Dec 2017, 09:00
A great read, thanks for posting. Brings back memories of our NYC trip a few Novembers ago.

Brilliant photos as ever, they really do capture the moment.
Virgin Atlantic