#161197 by wood07
23 Feb 2007, 18:58
Yes, but you can get round it by opening a US account.
#161207 by HighFlyer
23 Feb 2007, 19:41
You only need to have a US billing address in your iTunes account to access/download content from the US iTunes store.

Apple paid a nice visit to the chaps at BBC recently, hopefully negotiating some fantastic British comedy for our own iTunes store (one can only hope). They really need to get UK iTunes sorted out before the launch of AppleTV.

Thanks,
Sarah
#161234 by Littlejohn
23 Feb 2007, 21:46
By a US address you mean one just puts in any old US address. Funnily enough I have an address I can use in mind ;). Does this not muck up your CC payments though, the address used being part of the security?
#161243 by HighFlyer
23 Feb 2007, 22:01
It would probably be better to use an address you had control over, or at least one that is real.

Alternatively, buy the iTunes gift cards from the US - works with iTunes US store!

Thanks,
Sarah
#161291 by Littlejohn
24 Feb 2007, 08:32
Humm, I don't know that the address I had in mind (1600 Pennsylvania Avenue) could really be classed as one which is under anyone's control.

I will have a look for these gift vouchers!
#161317 by HighFlyer
24 Feb 2007, 12:08
If you are not headed to the States soon, i'm going to NYC on Thursday, and I will be frequenting an Apple store. Let me know if you want me to grab you some? Alternatively, they are always on eBay.

Thanks,
Sarah
#161320 by Littlejohn
24 Feb 2007, 13:02
Ta [y]. I will let you know if I need some. In the meantime I will try and work out how to use the US site! It keeps telling me I don't have Itunes installed, then when I click on 'Oh yes I do!'it whips me off to the UK site again - grrrrrr
#161347 by wood07
24 Feb 2007, 18:06
Scroll down to the bottom of the iTunes store home page - there should be a button labelled 'my store'. Click to change to US and then click on account and enter new account details.
#161366 by chrisV
24 Feb 2007, 20:01
So if you change your store to US, and then enter gift voucher info, you can buy from the US store? Do you need to be logged in with a US account to use the gift vouchers?
#161368 by Littlejohn
24 Feb 2007, 20:09
Yep, I think that is what Sarah & Wood are saying (although correct me if I am wrong guys)
#161371 by chrisV
24 Feb 2007, 20:39
On the US apple store website, it allows you to buy gift certificates which I think are sent to you by e-mail, but it's not totally clear. Link

Edit: Just noticed that to buy these gift vouchers, you also need a US billing address. Argh!
#161416 by Littlejohn
25 Feb 2007, 08:43
Had a look at ebay. Try Here

For most of the sellers you need a verified paypal account. Makes sense really as they are in effect shipping money round, and taking a mark up on the exchange rates.

Mine account isn't verified, but it is a simple process of giving you phone number then taking a verification call. You also need to give a bank account, and then wait for Paypal to make two small deposits into the account. All in all should take about 3 days because of the time taken for the deposits to clear. There is also a form where you confirm your merchant details. I couldn't make heads nor tails of it, as I am not a merchant. But just guess the details and gave a valid email, and all worked fine.

Had a look at the music prices in the US, they tend to be $0.99 which compares pretty well to our £0.79. Bah Rip off Britain!
Virgin Atlantic