#8485 by csparker
17 Oct 2005, 20:31
On VS004 last Thursday, a FA asked a pax to stop using his PDA as it was emitting Bluetooth (she'd spotted a flashing LED).

Has anyone else been caught out by this, and would wireless networking cause similar issues? Do / should FAs check to see we've disabled outr wireless network cards?

Of course I know all the risks, but I am a "rules" kinda guy...
#81297 by Richard28
17 Oct 2005, 21:45
I saw this conversation in the TR forum, and have done a little research.

There is a JAA document on the CAA website here that indicates in section 2.3.3 that bluetooth and WLAN are acceptable for use in "non critical phases of flight" - eg in cruise.

Seems like VS were wrong on this one.

Given that most business pax use laptops with built in networking, and pda's are essentially small pc's these days - it would be mad to allow one and not the other.

Perhaps some cabin crew can comment on this one?

Rich.
#81391 by McCoy
18 Oct 2005, 18:26
There is difference between what is allowed, on the basis of policy, and what is a health and safety issue, or risk.
For example, don't tell anyone, but mobile phones are completely safe to use in hospitals.. but it would be so annoying having a ward full of patients/relatives on their phones, so the restriction continues...
[Just don't tell anyone... :)]
I would guess that electronics in aircraft is an evolving field, and as evidence comes through, airlines will gradually change their policies..
#81394 by Decker
18 Oct 2005, 18:34
Originally posted by McCoy
There is difference between what is allowed, on the basis of policy, and what is a health and safety issue, or risk.
For example, don't tell anyone, but mobile phones are completely safe to use in hospitals.. but it would be so annoying having a ward full of patients/relatives on their phones, so the restriction continues...
[Just don't tell anyone... :)]
I would guess that electronics in aircraft is an evolving field, and as evidence comes through, airlines will gradually change their policies..

Thought it was only heart wards? ;)
#81402 by McCoy
18 Oct 2005, 20:42
Originally posted by Decker
Thought it was only heart wards? ;)
If you use your mobile right next to a heart monitor, it might make that buzzing noise you get when your phone is near a speaker, but it still works!!

However, I don't recommend you testing the theory, as you are very likely to get a good smacking from the ward Sister! ;)
#81416 by Decker
18 Oct 2005, 21:32
Don't listen to the bods in ClinEng at Charing X - they're misleading [:I]
#81482 by BlackCat
19 Oct 2005, 08:43
I did have the misfortune to end up at the Charing X at Christmas wired up to machines that went beep and watching a succession of motorcyclists come in with broken legs. Doctors using their own mobile phones were much in evidence throughout...

BC
#81485 by Littlejohn
19 Oct 2005, 09:55
Originally posted by McCoy

However, I don't recommend you testing the theory, as you are very likely to get a good smacking from the ward Sister! ;)

Nice! Must take my mobile to hospital one of these days.[:p]
#81490 by McCoy
19 Oct 2005, 10:36
Originally posted by BlackCat
I did have the misfortune to end up at the Charing X at Christmas wired up to machines that went beep and watching a succession of motorcyclists come in with broken legs. Doctors using their own mobile phones were much in evidence throughout...

BC
Sssshhh! Don't tell everyone! ;) If you end up in such a position of being a hospital punter, just keep your phone on silent, and do your texting under the duvet..! :D
#81949 by Dave Adkins
24 Oct 2005, 10:03
Given that with bluetooth you have the option of turning it off, why can't you use it onboard. I was most annoyed that I got told to put my PDA away on our UCS flight in sept. Because knowing we didn't have V-Port I had loaded a few games on it to while away the hours[:(!]
#81971 by McCoy
24 Oct 2005, 14:12
Originally posted by Dave Adkins
Given that with bluetooth you have the option of turning it off, why can't you use it onboard. I was most annoyed that I got told to put my PDA away on our UCS flight in sept. Because knowing we didn't have V-Port I had loaded a few games on it to while away the hours[:(!]
Just a PDA with bluetooth?.. not a phone as well?? Why did you get told to turn it off? (with the exception of take-off and landing, where they do ask you to turn off all electronic equipment..)
#81984 by Dave Adkins
24 Oct 2005, 16:50
I didn't get it out of my bag until after we had taken off and given the OK. When the CC saw it I was asked if it had Bluetooth, I said yes and she said I couldn't use it. Even when I said that the bluetooth was turned off!
#82003 by McCoy
24 Oct 2005, 19:24
Originally posted by Dave Adkins
I didn't get it out of my bag until after we had taken off and given the OK. When the CC saw it I was asked if it had Bluetooth, I said yes and she said I couldn't use it. Even when I said that the bluetooth was turned off!
Strange... can't think why.
#84346 by stoneflyer
15 Nov 2005, 20:55
Doesn't the nu Lufthansa business class, which looks really nice, have Wi-fi?

Tom
Virgin Atlantic