Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#815617 by willd
02 Jul 2012, 23:22
Taken last week aboard a BA 772 around an hour into flight somewhere over Iguasus falls. Suggest you fast forward to about 4.45 for the start of the heavy stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UO-wYpNN0s

Interesting to hear the Captain come on and apologise for how rough the ride was.
#815620 by preiffer
02 Jul 2012, 23:35
Honestly? I've been in worse. Much, much, worse. Blah.

In fact, I've flown myself in a single-piston aircraft UNDER a 744 (with ATC's guidance) before - now THAT was scary with wake turbulence.

In reality - I really, really, really don't see why people get so concerned. a) do you think the captain wants to die?! and b) HOW is this different to a rough sea on a boat? Both are fluid dynamics in action, and simple laws of physics.
#815625 by simonallardice
03 Jul 2012, 00:24
That's a bit harsh! The fact is, turbulence feels different to different people and people who don't fly often, and possibly some that do, would have found that terrifying. It's not on the extreme scale of turbulence but would warrant a moderate-severe classification. Pilots recognise how turbulence makes pax feel otherwise they wouldn't ask for altitude changes in the lightest chop.

Of course, it doesn't help that the guy is holding his camera phone which would exacerbate the movement a tad, not the orange juice not flying all over the place around the 7 min mark.
#815644 by jodash
03 Jul 2012, 09:21
I don't mind a bit of turbulence seems a bit sublime without it!
#815645 by at240
03 Jul 2012, 10:01
preiffer wrote:Honestly? I've been in worse. Much, much, worse. Blah.

In fact, I've flown myself in a single-piston aircraft UNDER a 744 (with ATC's guidance) before - now THAT was scary with wake turbulence.

ii)
Is this a parody of the Monty Python 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch?
#820850 by Av8tor
22 Aug 2012, 21:04
Asked by LAS Approach Control why I wasn't maintaing the assigned 5500ft altitude: "Sir, I am under a cell. I have full power on both engines and blue line speed (best climb on 1 engine) and the airplane is going down". Piper Seminole, dontcha just love it:-)
#829807 by bobsy852
09 Nov 2012, 18:14
THat looks terrifying! I'm shaking just watching it!!1 WHat the hell!! Comparing it to a boat? no...a boat gently rolls up and down over waves with the odd harsh bump as it breaks tthrough one. A plane jolts left to right, and goes up and down very quick as i think this video shows near 4:30!!
If I ever experienced that kinda turbulance I'd be a blubbering wreck! :/ :'(
the seats look like they're about to break away from the floor!! Fair play to you for managing to remain calm and film it!
Can I ask what aircraft this was on?
#829808 by slinky09
09 Nov 2012, 18:29
bobsy852 wrote:THat looks terrifying! I'm shaking just watching it!!1 WHat the hell!! Comparing it to a boat? no...a boat gently rolls up and down over waves with the odd harsh bump as it breaks tthrough one. A plane jolts left to right, and goes up and down very quick as i think this video shows near 4:30!!
the seats look like they're about to break away from the floor!! Fair play to you for managing to remain calm and film it!

It's heavy but not that bad, bad is things flying through the air. It was a 777 by the way.
#829810 by honey lamb
09 Nov 2012, 18:40
Given that I am flying into EZE on Sunday night/Monday morning, I don't think I'll watch it
#829814 by flabound
09 Nov 2012, 19:08
at240 wrote:quote]
ii)
Is this a parody of the Monty Python 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch?

eeeh I wonce flu oopside down and insade oot crashed twice and still landed on t'nose ,kids today you tell em ow bad it were and they jus don believ ya :D
#829886 by clarkeysntfc
10 Nov 2012, 13:09
bobsy852 wrote:THat looks terrifying! I'm shaking just watching it!!1 WHat the hell!! Comparing it to a boat? no...a boat gently rolls up and down over waves with the odd harsh bump as it breaks tthrough one. A plane jolts left to right, and goes up and down very quick as i think this video shows near 4:30!!

bobsy852, did you search the forum for the word 'turbulence' or something similar? I'm not sure why else you'd have dragged up an old post.

If so, I'm not sure how this would help you with your fears.
#830021 by bobsy852
11 Nov 2012, 21:25
[quote="ScubaRoo
Some boats don't gently roll over waves... :$

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=VchsHhPIx_s[/quote]

lol, ok that looks a bit rough. Least on a boat you're safe in the knowledge that you're not that far from the sea surface, and you've given a floatation device which is ideal in that situation. On a plane if it goes wrong you're 30,000ft above the surface, with a life jacket for safety! Why not a parachute, that'd be much more suited to the situation! lol
Virgin Atlantic