This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936250 by mswadley
26 Jun 2017, 15:04
I've been looking for long haul (probably Dubai) flights/holidays at the end of September for some time now but missed the last Virgin sale.
Since then VS UC has been up at £2089 which to me seems steep, even for a 20th wedding anniversary trip! BA and Emirates were even more so I've shelved looking.
However just noticed BA have a flight and holiday sale on again.
Do Virgin sales always follow BA?
BA want £1500 rtn for CW and First is £2200.
Is that cheap for First?
How much better than CW is it?
I can get a nice hotel with BA holidays as well as flights so I'm tempted.
Have been put off thinking about BA because of their recent troubles and have been wedded to VS for years but am tempted here as it's a speacial occasion.
Any thoughts would be helpful.....
Thanks
#936253 by SlimpyJones
26 Jun 2017, 15:45
Typically VS follow BA but sometimes they don't. The VS prices to Dubai (except for the very hot summer months) haven't been as good in recent years.

£2200 for First I'd say is a decent price for what is essentially a very good business class product. It's light years behind the competition on that route (basically Emirates) but for a 20th anniversary it would be a very nice touch if the price is right.

There's a few trip reports knocking about on this site that would help you compare Club vs. First. Fingers crossed BA's IT would be up to scratch on the day ;-)
#936260 by mswadley
26 Jun 2017, 18:39
That's really helpful thanks!

Do you rate Emirates business above BA first?
Although I've heard great things about the product it looks a bit bling to me and the A380 business cabin looks vast and a bit impersonal. The bar looks good though!
Have til 11th July to make up my mind!
#936261 by Smid
26 Jun 2017, 18:56
A few months ago I'd really be on saying how wonderful Qatar is, but with the recent troubles with its neighbours, they are not allowed to fly to Dubai anymore... I would have said QR business was a good as BA First, except for champagne quality, but the onboard bar on the QR380 knocks the socks off anything that VS has (BA has no onboard bars).

VS sales of any merit in recent years have pretty much been silent, (ie: unpublished, people find them via searches) and often ex-EU. Dublin was the one for the states but not sure if any covered Dubai.

BA First, well, I've flown it a couple of times, the second time Westward and got to see the CCR enough to say I've done it. I decided to stick to club after that though, I didn't even find the points difference on a 2 for 1 redemption worth it for First...
#936262 by gumshoe
26 Jun 2017, 19:07
I would never pay cash for BA First. Sure it's a step up from CW but there are so many better F products out there.

Yes some find EK a bit "blingy" and the J cabin on the A380 is huge but overall it's a much better product than BA. Not least because of the on-board bar and the fact that any Business Class ticket entitles you to a chauffeur-driven car. BA offers neither, even in F.

Plus of course EK offers a much wider choice of flights from several UK airports. And better lounges than BA. Beats me why anyone even considers flying BA to DXB.
#936271 by mikethe3rd
26 Jun 2017, 22:32
gumshoe wrote:Beats me why anyone even considers flying BA to DXB.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, I'd imagine it's because EK normally costs £500 more for J.

If you're a member of the BAEC, you can book Qantas on EK metal and post to your BA account, too.
#936274 by Sealink
27 Jun 2017, 00:38
What aircraft is BA flight to DXB?

If it's a 747 (which I actually doubt and haven't checked) Club World in the bubble is amazing.
However unless you are gold you will be charged to prebook these seats.

The J bar on Emirates A380 is awesome.
#936278 by hazban
27 Jun 2017, 03:38
Had a few days in Dubai earlier this month, booked through BA holidays in their sale.
Club World, in a 777, and 3 nights at the Fairmont the Palm for not much more than a UC return ticket. I am BA silver and like Gold you can pre book seats without charge.
First time in Club and was a bit apprehensive but it was OK especially if travelling as a couple, you can gaze into each other's eyes throughout the flight.
Outbound was overnight so unaware of fellow passengers, return daytime so if you want some privacy pull up the dividing screen!
Have agree BA are getting left behind with the competition though.
Virgin Atlantic