This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#914245 by Hamster
10 Dec 2015, 00:34
etk wrote:I've got the uk part done - in less than 24 hours. Bit unsure now what to do with the American part as I believe I'd need to book the interview within 30 days. Trouble is I don't have any plans to be in the states for at least six months. I know the appointment can be later than 30 days but how much later??

The acceptance letter just says have to book within 30 days. I also know you can re-book online (outside of 24hrs)
#914252 by RyanJW
10 Dec 2015, 02:44
You just have to schedule an appointment within 30 days. As long as you make one appointment in the next six months you should be good.

Once you go GE, you don't ever want to go back. MIA, SFO, NYC, landing after a A380 and still whizzing though in 60 seconds...

Hello to all those new GE v-flyers!
#914262 by Hamster
10 Dec 2015, 12:40
The US embassy interviews were yesterday.

There were also 4 other London locations available for interviews the past few weeks. I did mine in Canary Wharf, Google's London office was also one of the locations available.

They did say they hope to do more London interviews in the future, they were over here for 3 weeks apparently.
#914270 by mitchja
10 Dec 2015, 15:13
15isto2 wrote:I notice that the US embasy in London is listed as an interview site although sadly they have no appointments. I assume that in future you will be able to do the interview in th UK

That's interesting, as I didn't see London in the list of enrolment centres?
#914271 by 15isto2
10 Dec 2015, 15:56
mitchja wrote:
15isto2 wrote:I notice that the US embasy in London is listed as an interview site although sadly they have no appointments. I assume that in future you will be able to do the interview in th UK

Just checked again and its not on the list, wonder if it was an IT glitch last night
#914273 by mitchja
10 Dec 2015, 17:14
The appointment system does look to get updated over-night as today the Fort Lauderdale enrolment centre is now showing appointments available; but not whilst I'm there. That one showed no appointments at all last night.
#914307 by Gerrym
11 Dec 2015, 23:05
15isto2 wrote:
mitchja wrote:

Just checked again and its not on the list, wonder if it was an IT glitch last night

Don't think it was a glitch. There were interviews in London, just none planned at the moment going forward. I have just checked and the London sites have been removed.
#914314 by Hamster
12 Dec 2015, 12:28
Gerrym wrote:Don't think it was a glitch. There were interviews in London, just none planned at the moment going forward. I have just checked and the London sites have been removed.

Glad I managed to get in early then!
#914347 by Virgin AU Flyer
14 Dec 2015, 08:31
Does anyone know if it is possible to view possible interview appointment times and availability before starting the process. I was considering arranging the interview at Orlando during my my trip late December, early January. But if there was no availability it would prove tricky for me to arrange within 6 months as may not have another trip to the US until Summer.
#914348 by Gerrym
14 Dec 2015, 08:43
Virgin AU Flyer wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to view possible interview appointment times and availability before starting the process. I was considering arranging the interview at Orlando during my my trip late December, early January. But if there was no availability it would prove tricky for me to arrange within 6 months as may not have another trip to the US until Summer.

No, the appointments do not become available until you have been conditionally approved. So you will have to apply to the UK authorities and then the US authorities.
#914354 by mitchja
14 Dec 2015, 10:46
All that's available in late Dec at MCO are the 25th, 26th or 31st. The MCO enrolment centre is closed on Sundays.

Tampa has no availability until Feb. West Palm Beach has quite a lot of availability from Dec onwards. Fort Lauderdale has no availability until Feb 2016. There are loads available at MIA though every day right starting Dec 15th right through to June 2016.

I think that's all of the Florida enrolment centres.

I've scheduled mine for the day I'm due to fly back home from MIA, saves faffing around having to drive to/from MIA and finding parking etc as I'm staying in the Hollywood area.
#914364 by pblondon
14 Dec 2015, 14:29
I applied for the UK check on Thursday 3rd, got approval for that on Tuesday 8th, I then applied immediately for the US check and got the conditional approval e-mail yesterday.

So from start of UK check to conditional approval from the US 10 days.
#914365 by mitchja
14 Dec 2015, 14:48
The US conditional approval bit of mine took 6 days.

I did the UK Home Office bit around 20:30 on Dec 2, which came back with the application access code around 18:00 the following day. I did the US application the same evening and that came back as conditionally approved on Dec 9th around 21:00.

You will need to print off your Conditional Approval letter and take this with you to the interview along with your documents. The letter will appear in your GOES website inbox.
#915119 by mitchja
31 Dec 2015, 23:48
Had my interview this afternoon at the FLL enrolment centre (I was already aware of this before I went, but the enrolment office here is not in the airport terminal itself, though not far away from it at the CPB office on Eller Drive).

The whole process took about 3 minutes. Just a few questions to confirm my application, photo taken and all finger prints scanned. It actually took longer to explain how the whole process works when you arrive in the US :)

Final approval notification arrived via the GOES website within about 20 minutes.
#915311 by Kraken
04 Jan 2016, 17:38
Am seriously considering applying for GOES as I do at least 4 trips a year to the USA. Arriving in MCO behind 3 747's can be a bit of a pain in the backside when it comes to immigration / customs!

Only query is - is the GOES linked to your passport number like an ESTA is? My passport expires in early 2017, so if it is linked to the passport number, I'll hold fire until 2017 to get full value for my $100 GOES fee.
#915313 by mitchja
04 Jan 2016, 17:58
Kraken wrote:Only query is - is the GOES linked to your passport number like an ESTA is? My passport expires in early 2017, so if it is linked to the passport number, I'll hold fire until 2017 to get full value for my $100 GOES fee.

From the GOES FAQ section:

My program status is "Document Expired". What should I do?
One or more of your travel documents that we have on file has expired. Your membership requires that you keep your document information up to date. Please review the document expiration dates listed in your account to determine the document that has expired.

Passport and/or Permanent Resident expiration dates can be updated using your GOES account. For all other documents, you will need to contact the Enrollment Center and present a current travel document.

Note: If you are in the process of renewing your membership, then the updated documents can be presented during the interview.

Just had a look via my GOES online account now I'm approved and there is a section where you can update your passport details as required (both your passport number and expiry dates etc).
#915316 by RyanJW
04 Jan 2016, 18:55
Kraken wrote:Am seriously considering applying for GOES as I do at least 4 trips a year to the USA. Arriving in MCO behind 3 747's can be a bit of a pain in the backside when it comes to immigration / customs!

Only query is - is the GOES linked to your passport number like an ESTA is? My passport expires in early 2017, so if it is linked to the passport number, I'll hold fire until 2017 to get full value for my $100 GOES fee.

It's not linked to your passport per say - its linked to you for 5 years. You used to have to go to an enrollment center with your new passport for them to update GOES but as mitchja says, you can now update your GOES account with your new passport details.
#915347 by Smid
05 Jan 2016, 13:55
seany wrote:Got to be honest, I really don't see the point, I always fly through the ESTA machines and customs, don't most people?

There was only global entry machines, and a line at Philadelphia a few weeks ago, no sign of the ESTA machines.

Sure, LAX had them when I went through, but they are not everywhere, I don't think Vegas has the ESTA machines (I went through domestic last time, but Dec 2014, there wasn't any).
Virgin Atlantic