This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#915384 by pjh
05 Jan 2016, 22:59
Smid wrote:
seany wrote:Got to be honest, I really don't see the point, I always fly through the ESTA machines and customs, don't most people?

There was only global entry machines, and a line at Philadelphia a few weeks ago, no sign of the ESTA machines.

Same in Newark last week.
#916156 by Linda671
20 Jan 2016, 14:34
I'm just going through this application process now
I applied for the UK part on Monday the 18th of Jan in the morning and got my access code later the same day
I've now completed the GOES application part and am awaiting their feedback
The one thing that concerns me is that my next flight is in to MCO in March but doesn't land until after the enrollment office closes at 4pm. I was hopeful of getting an appointment on the day of my return flight, one week later, and could do any time of day but what if there are no appointments available?
I know i'll be back to the US in April (SFO) but I don't have my confirmed dates yet
#916164 by locutus
20 Jan 2016, 15:47
Linda671 wrote:I was hopeful of getting an appointment on the day of my return flight, one week later, and could do any time of day but what if there are no appointments available?
I know i'll be back to the US in April (SFO) but I don't have my confirmed dates yet

Just book any appointment, and reschedule if a date appears you can make or just pick another future date if it gets close to the current booked date.
#916166 by mitchja
20 Jan 2016, 16:01
From what I can remember from when I was at the appointment making stage, MCO did have a reasonable amount available. I think the MCO one is closed on a Sunday though?

Many enrolment centres do also allow walk-ins too. MIA certainly does (though they have countless available appointments anyway).

Each appointment is scheduled to last 15mins. I was in and out of mine in under 5 minutes so there's 10 minutes spare there for a walk-in if permitted.

When you do get to the appointment stage, make sure you click the re-schedule appointment button and not the cancel appointment button (not sure what clicking that would result in?) You can also select other enrolment centres as well for a re-schedule appointment too.

I originally booked mine at MIA to the day of my return flight (FLL was fully booked) but I kept checking and eventually got one at FLL as that was closer to where I was staying.
#916173 by Linda671
20 Jan 2016, 18:12
Thanks for the help!
Looking at the opening hours at MCO, the office closes at 4pm and is not open at all at the weekends
I've actually got a hotel day room at MCO on the day of my return flight (Thursday) so I am free and clear to visit at any time during the day
Fingers crossed I can easily slot in an appointment
#916514 by Linda671
29 Jan 2016, 10:27
I thought I would come back and update on my experience, as it may help others
I applied to Gov.UK for my access code on Monday 18th Jan and heard back the same day. I then completed everything on the GOES application.
I heard back with provisional approval on Wednesday 27th January
My interview appointment is booked on the day of my return flight from MCO in March and there was only one time slot marked as unavailable
Thanks to all for your help in answering my initial questions
#916640 by serenawell
31 Jan 2016, 19:00
For those on here that have already been to their interviews please can I ask exactly what you took with you to your interview. We want to make sure hubby doesn't forget anything. Hubby has his interview at LAS when we go in March.

Thanks in advance.
#916656 by serenawell
01 Feb 2016, 01:51
mitchja wrote:For my interview, I took the conditional letter of approval downloaded from the GOES website, my passport and my driving licence.

Thank you James.
#916688 by Hamster
01 Feb 2016, 19:17
serenawell wrote:For those on here that have already been to their interviews please can I ask exactly what you took with you to your interview. We want to make sure hubby doesn't forget anything. Hubby has his interview at LAS when we go in March.

Thanks in advance.

I took passport, provisional acceptance and I always have my DL on me anyway.

They only asked for the passport though, they didn't expect us to have the provisional acceptance letter either.
#916689 by CHill710
01 Feb 2016, 19:37
I am tempted to go for global entry but my passport expired in Nov 2017. Does global entry carry over to a new passport or is it not worth applying until I have a new passport next year?
#916690 by Hamster
01 Feb 2016, 20:02
CHill710 wrote:I am tempted to go for global entry but my passport expired in Nov 2017. Does global entry carry over to a new passport or is it not worth applying until I have a new passport next year?

Yes it carries over, you just need to update the details in the online account.
#916693 by serenawell
01 Feb 2016, 20:47
Hamster wrote:
serenawell wrote:For those on here that have already been to their interviews please can I ask exactly what you took with you to your interview. We want to make sure hubby doesn't forget anything. Hubby has his interview at LAS when we go in March.

Thanks in advance.

I took passport, provisional acceptance and I always have my DL on me anyway.

They only asked for the passport though, they didn't expect us to have the provisional acceptance letter either.

Thank you Hamster
#917855 by Mr G
23 Feb 2016, 15:02
Hi everyone, having just been approved for my Global Entry, I was wondering what real-world experiences people have of actually using it? Do you still need to fill in the Blue customs form (or do people still do it "just in case" only to have it thrown away by the CBP officers), and also has anyone actually received a card with their TSA number on it? I've basically got a VS transatlantic flight coming up, and a few DL internals where the TSA would be useful but I need to find a way of ensuring it goes onto the boarding card. Right, I'm off to buy some packing cubes, wish me luck!
Mr G.
#917860 by Silver Fox
23 Feb 2016, 16:29
You do not need to fill in the blue customs form any longer as you answer that nonsense on the screen then it prints it out for you. I never got a TSA card despite asking many times, I just gave up, it doesn't seem to matter as I have used it for years and many many trips now. The other good thing about it is that at some airports, when CBP can be bothered, they have a separate lane especially for GE people to exit with their luggage. Very worthwhile having but the problem is now that there are zillions of other people that have it now too, my wife actually got through the other visitor kiosks quicker than I did at SFO last year. But, I still would not swap it !

And the other thing for people and appointments - I just walked up one day (I did have an appointment booked some time in the future) when they looked quiet and said would you mind just squeezing me in please? It worked, might have changed as it was a few years ago now, but it never does any harm to try.
#917920 by Silver Fox
24 Feb 2016, 20:29
Hamster wrote:Only US citizens get a GE card with your known traveller number on it, it's only used for land border crossing.
To get TSA Pre you need to enter your known traveller number into your booking.

Can you do this with Virgin ? I can with United but didn't think that Virgin allowed it, but haven't checked.
#918286 by contractor
03 Mar 2016, 22:07
dumb question; after getting Global Entry do I still need a valid ESTA?
#918288 by mitchja
03 Mar 2016, 22:12
contractor wrote:dumb question; after getting Global Entry do I still need a valid ESTA?

Yes you do.

From the Global Entry website:

Travel Requirements:

All UK Global Entry members must have a valid passport and Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or a valid visa
#918308 by contractor
04 Mar 2016, 10:15
ah, thanks for that. I've got a year left on my ESTA so I'll put a google reminder in for that now.
We did the £42/UK vetting bit last Friday and got a response within an hour. We then paid the 2*$100 and did the forms the same day and got a provisional yes on Monday. We're in Miami over Easter and the office there is wide open so it's all looking good.
#918327 by RyanJW
04 Mar 2016, 16:16
Its a shame you can't get it before entering MIA as it saves 1-3 hours depending on the CBP line when travelling to the worst airport in the US. I think many v-flyers agree it is an absolute PITA to travel via MIA because of the queues.
#918330 by NYLON
04 Mar 2016, 16:28
I've used GE for six years, and it's getting to be more hassle that it's worth, especially entering EWR and JFK. It's fast, yes, but as a 'trusted' passenger CPB are really pushing their 'zero tolerance' approach to customs declarations.

For example, a few months ago I was given a massive lecture and a 'final warning' for not declaring a chocolate bar. I was told that I'd lied to a government official by not declaring the food item at the GE kiosk, and that I was lucky not to get fined.

I was also told that as of 2016 GE 'final warnings' are over, and it's now 'zero tolerance'. So now, I no longer click 'no to all' if I have any food item on me at all (chewing gum, candy etc), which means you get the black 'X', which means standard screening.

I also saw a woman given a 100% duty fee for not declaring a coat she'd bought in LHR Duty Free (and which she was carrying in a Harrods bag, not hidden in her luggage). The coat was over the $800 limit, and she made the mistake of ticking 'no to all' at the kiosk. The CBP official didn't believe her when she said that she was not aware duty free items in transit had to be declared, and that she was lucky not to be fined on top of the 100% duty. So in effect, she paid twice for one coat. She also had her GE status revoked immediately ('for ever'). How do I know this? Because the entire conversation took place at full volume.

The other thing I've noticed since January is that GE pax seem to be subject to EXTRA questioning at customs (i.e. once you've gone past immigration): "did you buy anything abroad, do you have food in your bags?"

As far as I can work out, with the paper forms they don't mind you filling it out again if you've made 'a mistake' and you just pay the 3% duty (for example). Once you've ticket the boxes at the GE kiosk, however, you've effectively made a sworn declaration, which they will use against you as leverage for a higher duty rate, or a fine.

The TSApre privileges still make it worthwhile for me.
#918798 by etk
14 Mar 2016, 22:13
We've just had our interviews at ATL. Really quick and easy, took about five minutes including being shown how to use the machines.

It's our first time in ATL and have to say it's a really nice airport, so calm and quiet with really friendly staff. After UC checkin we were allowed through the TSA Pre line (I decided to chance my arm as it was completely empty while the regular queue was several lines deep) so through security in less than five minutes.

Now relaxing in the reasonably pleasant delta sky club.
Virgin Atlantic