This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937141 by chrisfinch_2000
01 Aug 2017, 15:16
Hi everyone,

Just noticed this morning that you can now use your VS miles on delta when searching for a flight and selecting spend miles which is a great enhancement.

Nothing to write home about in economy (given the recent reduction in miles required for a reward flight) but when searching NYC to LHR, I'm seeing delta one in some cases for 50K miles one way and only $5 in taxes (UC is 47.5K one way and $500 in taxes!!)
#937145 by pjh
01 Aug 2017, 17:20
Be aware if you try to mix VS and DL legs it will price the miles VS both ways.

But still.. thanks for the update. NYE in NYC!
#937146 by Kraken
01 Aug 2017, 18:40
As above - thanks for the heads-up on how to make a nice APD saving for only a few extra miles travelling on Delta One. Most of my trips are to MCO (so not ideal)... but I will definitely consider Delta One for any LHR-NYC-LHR trips.

My MCO trips are mostly ex-MAN, so this is going to lead to a VS flight for the TATL leg, which will lead to VS pricing & UK APD rates.
#937148 by seany
01 Aug 2017, 19:46
One downside to this, it's completely muddling up my search for VS rewards (on the 5 week calender)...I got so excited tonight when I screen lit up with reward days available for SFO-LHR, but they're all Delta....Is there anyway to filter Delta out? Surely it can't be as long winded as clicking on every day to see if there is a VS flight in there?
#937149 by daviis
01 Aug 2017, 20:20
chrisfinch_2000 wrote:, I'm seeing delta one in some cases for 50K miles one way and only $5 in taxes (UC is 47.5K one way and $500 in taxes!!)

This is exactly what I did for our flights back from JFK to LHR on Jan 1st 2018. I was hoping for VS UC reward seats for the 4 of us but when I saw that the miles required for Delta One was less that VS UC and that the tax was £5 each instead of £500 each it was a "no brainer" really and it means we get to try Delta One for the 1st time as well.

I still intend to use the JFK clubhouse and the LHR Welcome lounge though :-D :-D
#937151 by pjh
01 Aug 2017, 21:54
daviis wrote:
chrisfinch_2000 wrote:, I'm seeing delta one in some cases for 50K miles one way and only $5 in taxes (UC is 47.5K one way and $500 in taxes!!)

This is exactly what I did for our flights back from JFK to LHR on Jan 1st 2018. I was hoping for VS UC reward seats for the 4 of us but when I saw that the miles required for Delta One was less that VS UC and that the tax was £5 each instead of £500 each it was a "no brainer" really and it means we get to try Delta One for the 1st time as well.

I still intend to use the JFK clubhouse and the LHR Welcome lounge though :-D :-D

How do you end up with such low taxes? I'm still seeing hundreds with DL.
#937159 by pjh
02 Aug 2017, 07:01
mitchja wrote:To get the low ~$6.00 tax, you need to book just a one-way reward flight starting in the US.

Thanks. Flights placed on hold yesterday, need to phone back today to shift the departure one day forward.

Delighted that this thread was started (thanks chrisfinch_2000) as I looked a couple of weeks ago to book our "traditional" (i.e. done it more than once) miles funded trip to NYC over the Christmas / New Year period and was met with zero availability. It's also the case that this time around return flights are available between New Year's Eve and say the 4th / 5th January. In previous years we've had to come back on New Year's Eve to use miles.

Edited to add: What seems to be happening (at least for me) is a tradeoff between miles and taxes. If I stick to a return flight booking, for the two of us I end up using 90k miles plus £524 tax on the outbound and 65k plus £406 tax on the inbound . If I do two one way bookings for the same flights I end up using 90k miles plus £724 tax on the outbound, and 100k miles plus (say) £4 on the inbound. So would 35k miles be worth £200? Checking "Buy Miles" the answer seems to be "yes", as 35k miles would cost £525 to buy.

Edited again to add: VS IT strikes again. You can see and select the "prices" with a difference in the legs, but as soon as you press "buy" it throws you out with a "you can't do that" message. Ring FC and get told you can't book DL on line via VS website and by the way it's not 90 + 65 it's 90 + 90.
Virgin Atlantic