This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937211 by Test12345
04 Aug 2017, 00:42
I have a question for 2 different scenarios (below) for which I am seeking clarification if a person is required to obtain a UK transit visa to catch a connecting flight to the U.S. This person is a citizen of the Philippines and has a United States green card (i.e., permanent resident of the U.S.)

Scenario A: Flight from New Delhi to New York via London Heathrow. One flight (New Delhi to London Heathrow) is on BRITISH AIRWAYS, and the other (from London Heathrow to New York) is a different airline – VIRGIN ATLANTIC. If the person is required to collect his or her bags in London from the British Airways flight (i.e., therefore has to pass through UK passport control/immigration), and then have to recheck the bags to the Virgin Atlantic flight from LHR to New York, will the person require a UK transit visa? The time at LHR to make the connection is 6 hours.

Scenario B: Flight from New Delhi to New York via London. One flight is from New Delhi to London Heathrow, and the other connecting flight is from London GATWICK Airport to New York (i.e., arrival and departure airports at London are different. Will the person need a transit visa? The time to make the connection in London is under 6 hours.

Thank you in advance for your patience in reviewing the scenarios. The reason I am asking this question is that I can’t get clarity on the UK visa web site, and I want to have direction on whether a visa is required or not.
#937212 by tontybear
04 Aug 2017, 01:09
You have been given advice on your numerous threads on here and flyer talk. Please take that advice.

Why bring in a scenario (needing to transit via LGW) that does not apply to your rebooking by VS on to BA from DEL-LHR and then VS to JFK? I will state though that anyone who enters the UK will need the appropriate visa and anyone needing to travel from LHR to LGW will need one as that is not regarded, in immigration terms, as a transit.

Neither v-flyer or flyer talk can offer you legal advice on immigration status.
#937214 by joeyc
04 Aug 2017, 01:23
I must have missed all of the threads to which Tonty is referring I'm afraid.

This page gives the two types of visa you may need to consider. Either way it sounds like you'll need to apply for a transit visa so best read up and if in doubt contact your local UK embassy or commission for further advice.
#937215 by Test12345
04 Aug 2017, 01:23
Actually, if you go to the UK web site and select options that match the scenario, it states that a transit visa is required but then goes on to say that it "may not be required". The word "may " throws in uncertainty and I am unclear how the BA check in staff will determine from that language whether a visa is required or not. that is why I have posted the scenario in this forum to determine if someone was in the same scenario.