This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939859 by chris9642
25 Nov 2017, 20:21
Hi all - looking for some collective wisdom - 4 days ago I upgraded an upcoming flight from PE to Upper - my booking has been updated , I received a confirmation e mail and can select seats in Upper but the miles are still in my account is this normal ?
#939860 by mitchja
25 Nov 2017, 20:33
The transaction won't appear on your account until the day of the actual flight. Your total milage balance should have reduced though. Has it done?
#939862 by chris9642
25 Nov 2017, 21:56
No - the agent had to do some manual mileage moves between 2 accounts which took place but the total number of miles have not been deducted despite the upgrade being processed and visible and that was 5 days ago.
#939864 by mitchja
25 Nov 2017, 21:59
No idea then sorry, have your been re-ticketed and has the cabin fee difference been taken from your card yet (roughly ~£45 per person)?

When I did a miles upgrade last weekend from PE to a G, the fee was taken within an hour or so and a new e-ticket number showed up in my booking (I didn't get a new email e-ticket, but that's because the original booking was a V Hols booking). My FC milage balance dropped at the same time the card transaction went through.
#939868 by mitchja
25 Nov 2017, 23:05
I'd be tempted to give Flying Club a ring then and just enquire about it now rather than have issues at check-in. VS do quote a standard re-ticket time of about 48 hours but that has long passed now for you.

VS ticketing is often hit and miss unfortunately.
#939872 by stuart_f
26 Nov 2017, 00:27
As convincing as emails that say "Upper" might look and as reassuring as being able to select a seat might seem, sadly they do not actually ensure you will travel in that seat or in that cabin.

You will need to make sure that your ticket has actually been reissued. That's what matters. You're looking for a 13 digit number that will start 932. It should be different to the one you had for PE.

In terms of what will happen if you don't sort this:

Best case: The change fee will be taken at check-in, miles debited and all will be fine.
Worst case: With no valid ticket, you can't check in. Depending on the load you might get lucky and be on the flight you wanted but it'll be a lottery which cabin you'll be in because you don't actually hold a valid ticket for any cabin any more.

Best to ring now and sort it.
#939897 by Bretty
27 Nov 2017, 23:38
I agree with the advice given Chris, if you haven’t already, get in the blower and check this out.

I also have a question for you, you mentioned the agent had to manually move some miles between 2 accounts. Could you explain what you meant by that?

Thanks
#939900 by chris9642
28 Nov 2017, 01:04
In terms of the manual miles moves - I am travelling with my partner who had more miles in his account than me so I paid to transfer miles to his account as I had around 10k remaining - when I then phoned to secure the upgrade I was told because I had made the original booking then an upgrade could only be processed from my account so the agent agreed to move all the miles back from my partners account to mine!

As per advice in this thread I called to make sure I had in fact been upgraded - everything had been processed but the agent could not work out why miles had not been debited and were now in fact spread across the 2 accounts so she removed them manually and confirmed I had been placed in Upper.
Virgin Atlantic