This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940550 by chriski
06 Jan 2018, 10:39
Is this service still available after move to North Terminal and if so can anyone comment if worthwhile.

I seem to recall some old posts saying service was a bit hit and miss and could be very slow.

Staying at Hilton Night before flight to BGI . (Flying UC if that makes any difference)
#940552 by dickydotcom
06 Jan 2018, 10:59
It is still advertised as a service on the VA website, Travel Info Page, Ways to Check In.

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en/tr ... twick.html

It's nearly a year since my last flight which was from the North terminal and I think we used it, but not the bag drop.
Slightly off topic, we always used to stay at the Hilton when flying out of the South terminal but last year we stayed in the Hampton which is connected to the North Terminal. You don't even have to go outside.
As a hotel I much preferred the Hilton especially if you upgrade to a room with access to the Executive lounge, but the ease of getting to the terminal just outweighed it. A couple of baguettes and a bottle of Lanson in the room was fine.
We are going to try the Premier Inn at the North Terminal this year. The Lanson is in the wine cooler already. (48 days to go.)

Dick D
#940557 by Traveller2
06 Jan 2018, 12:45
We fly economy and did Twilight check-in last November. We got there around 8.00 pm and were checked in by 8.10 pm!!! Simple and no queue at all. IMHO it is very worthwhile to be able to drop your cases the night before. I have no idea though what queues are like earlier on, as we always arrive around 8.00 pm.
#940562 by Hev60
06 Jan 2018, 13:35
dickydotcom wrote: ....
We are going to try the Premier Inn at the North Terminal this year. The Lanson is in the wine cooler already. (48 days to go.) Dick D

My son regularly uses that Premier Inn and always has a good experience. You are virtually just across from the Terminal so are only outside for a few seconds.

We're trying the Sofitel in June when flying from Gatwick. Got a better deal for 3 rooms than the Hilton was offering.

It needs to warm up considerably before you fly off to South Carolina next month!!!
#940563 by mallin
06 Jan 2018, 13:51
On a personal note we did not like the Premier Inn at all, too hot too crowded and you have to pay for a breakfast which was just dumped in trays. Much preferred the Hampton Inn, nicer rooms, comfy beds and all inclusive breakfast, we had some in there and then went onto have one in the Clubhouse.

They have those self service machines in the premier Inn which could not cope and not enough staff, the lifts were very small and people on the lower floors could not get in as they were full on very lift. We had to cart all our luggage down several flights with many other people. The Hampton was even cheaper and so much nicer, just my observations of course, everyone will have a different experience. Linda
#940588 by marshy11
07 Jan 2018, 08:32
We used to use Twilight but stopped a couple of years back. If you are flying UC it is much easier to take your cases in the morning, no queues and you don't have to take a go-bag for the overnight toiletries/clean undies. I can understand using it if you are likely to encounter a queue in the morning but otherwise, it's easier to do it in the morning. At least you know your bags haven't jumped on the wrong plane or spent 12 hours languishing somewhere...the reason we stopped using it.

On the Hilton note, yes we have always booked an executive room but this year we've taken the Hampton plunge and although we will be in the 'wrong' terminal, it's a short hop on the monorail across to the dark side check-in. I think the Hilton is just too tired, too hot and I'm a bit bored of it.
#940589 by dickydotcom
07 Jan 2018, 09:51
mallin wrote:On a personal note we did not like the Premier Inn at all, too hot too crowded and you have to pay for a breakfast which was just dumped in trays. Much preferred the Hampton Inn, nicer rooms, comfy beds and all inclusive breakfast, we had some in there and then went onto have one in the Clubhouse.

They have those self service machines in the premier Inn which could not cope and not enough staff, the lifts were very small and people on the lower floors could not get in as they were full on very lift. We had to cart all our luggage down several flights with many other people. The Hampton was even cheaper and so much nicer, just my observations of course, everyone will have a different experience. Linda

We never bother with the hotel breakfast. Straight over to the clubhouse for a Cappuccino and eggs Benedict.
Last year we were first in there and the only customers for about 20 minutes. It was wonderful.
Dick D
#940595 by chriski
07 Jan 2018, 16:56
Thanks all.

Hilton have the best parking rate and following the combined advice we will use standard check in and get to the Clubhouse early doors !!
Virgin Atlantic