This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#4052 by rcslt
16 Jan 2005, 15:25
I am about to order a membership kit and I am now wondering what information to put on the luggage tag. I know that the first line would be my name but what have other people put on the second line?

Many thanks for any suggestions. ;)
#50936 by mcuth
16 Jan 2005, 15:29
I have my house number, postcode and mobile phone number on mine :)

Cheers

Michael
#50943 by rcslt
16 Jan 2005, 16:15
That sounds like an excellent idea Michael.
#50946 by DavidM
16 Jan 2005, 16:32
I'm probably being paranoid, but I'd be wary of advertising my home address to anyone who could see my bag as I leave UK on a long haul flight. And I'm not sure that a UK postcode would stand out as such to people outside UK.

FWIW I've gone for an email address and a mobile number (with "+44" in front, to make it useable from anywhere) on my luggage tags. And I also leave a business card fairly prominently inside the bags.

David
#50956 by Pete
16 Jan 2005, 17:24
My recommendation is to go for a contact method just in case you bag get misplaced. An obvious contact would be a mobile phone number, assuming you take it with you on your travels - and so people abroad can figure out how to call you, include the country code; ie +44 7777 777777 for instance.

The tags have space for two lines in addition to your name, so your email address is also a good option for the second line, so your personalisation could be;

Joe Bloggs
+44 7777 777777
[email protected]

(On the order form, you only need to complete the 2 customised lines, as it assumes the first line will be your name anyway).

I agree with others that it's not really a good idea to put your home address on your tags, as it advertises the fact your not at home at the moment. However, you can put whatever you like on your tags (others have gone for company names, slogans and amusing messages...;))

Pete
#50957 by colbornjames
16 Jan 2005, 17:25
I have my name and address so that if my bag gets lost hopefully someone will use it to let me know!

Not sure about how safe it is listing your address, it doesn't really bother me as I'm not the only one who lives here and am often travelling alone.

JC.
#50959 by mitchja
16 Jan 2005, 17:47
I tend to just put my post code on any bag tags I fill in.

Regards
#50988 by California Mark
16 Jan 2005, 21:53
I have my name... My (US) cell phone number, and the telephone number of my home in Uxbridge.

I may be paranoid, but I would not want my address on the tag.
#74005 by xenole
22 Aug 2005, 09:53
Where does your name come from in the first to go on the tag?
Can't remember entering it during registration, just the nick I use for these forums. Paypal?

Pity there are limited characters allowed. Got part way through the basics of my address and it wouldn't let me type any more.
#74010 by Pete
22 Aug 2005, 11:22
Originally posted by xenole
Where does your name come from in the first to go on the tag?
Can't remember entering it during registration, just the nick I use for these forums. Paypal?

Pity there are limited characters allowed. Got part way through the basics of my address and it wouldn't let me type any more.

The first line is the registered PayPal name, unless someone specifically requests something different. There has to be a limit on the number of characters per line, since we're only dealing with a limited amount of space.

Pete
#74038 by NYCFlyer
22 Aug 2005, 15:16
I have my UK home phone number and my US Cellphone number on the tags.

I don't have my address openly displayed on tags but do use the Amex ones you have to take off the bag to see the information inside. Any thoughts on that type?

Graham
#74067 by Tim
22 Aug 2005, 20:01
Hi,
I don't like the idea of advertising my home address or telephone number.

My 1st line was
"This case belongs to"
The 2nd line was my email address.
#74077 by PatDavies
22 Aug 2005, 22:14
Mine simply says "Choosing Virgin" on the second line
#74153 by xenole
23 Aug 2005, 13:48
Well they arrived this morning. Very nice :)
Got my name at the top followed by my two personalised lines of my email address (well one of them as the other was 1 character too long) and my phone number with international dialing code.
#74241 by bostonbrit
23 Aug 2005, 22:10
Phone number in international number format would be good - particularly a mobile number. I was once at TXL when someone took my bag by mistake. I picked up an identical bag to mine guessing that whoever had taken my bag was probably confused.... That bag had a mobile number on a tag, which I called. The other passenger had just cleared customs and was walking away with my bag. The error was resolved to everyone's relief, with little/no inconvenience at all.

Phew!
Virgin Atlantic