This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#6969 by honey lamb
21 Jul 2005, 21:59
Just returned today from MCO on "Ladybird" (sorry, I'm too jet-lagged to look up the registration but I know it is an ex-LHR plane). As we were pushing back from the stand I noticed Skymap was switched on [y] and remained on till the rest of the IFE was switched on - including Sky News [|)]

I have been one of the ones long since wondering why they can't do this at least and I'm glad to see they take notice at times. Thank you VS :D
#70302 by VS045
21 Jul 2005, 22:33
They kept the Skymap on all the way into JNB once, it may just be a coincidence but I think that too was Ladybird.:)

Cheers,
VS045
#70312 by The_Banking_Scot
21 Jul 2005, 23:17
Hi,

Ladybird was my aircraft to MCO on 18th June ( Oddessy) and the skymap was on all the way too.

Regards

TBS
#70323 by airchabum
21 Jul 2005, 23:52
Hi honey lamb

From memory I think it's something they can only do on the Oddesey a/c. For some reason the IFE (including SkyMap) has to be turned off on the v:port + Nova a/c.

Cheers
Alan
#70325 by slinky09
22 Jul 2005, 00:04
I wish skymap was on all the time .. it is on American Airlines ... also wish Virgin had the nose camera like Emirates do to show the front view from the aeroplane, especially great on landings!
#70339 by honey lamb
22 Jul 2005, 01:29
From memory I think it's something they can only do on the Oddesey a/c. For some reason the IFE (including SkyMap) has to be turned off on the v:port + Nova a/c.

Thnaks for that info, Alan I flew this aircraft in March just before she went into DUB for her refit - it was one of her last flights and the cabin crew showed me how she would be re-configured. On that occasion Skymap was not on at take-off and indeed last night was my only experience of this
#70387 by vizbiz
22 Jul 2005, 13:52
Have to say that I find "skymap" highly amusing - who on earth decides which locations are show for reference - how long has Ashby De la Zouche and Lower Pigglington be a useful reference point for anyone?

As has been said before, it would be really neat if the cockpit radio between the captain/first officer and the ground was available to listen to IN CONJUNCTION with skymap. Also, on a recent swissair flight, they had a nose-wheel camera opertaing for the entire flight including landing etc. - now that WAS interesting.
#70393 by kkempton
22 Jul 2005, 14:17
What about the little animations on the skymap?
They are certainly crazy, funny and pointless... liek a pirate has treasure in the mid atlantic! Too cold I say! :D
#70958 by jwhite9185
26 Jul 2005, 20:03
I remember the skymap being left on for landing into LAX on VXLG many years ago. I thought the crew had forgotten to switch it off as i hadnt seen it before that or since - even on Odessey fitted planes.
#70960 by slinky09
26 Jul 2005, 20:12
Originally posted by hairy114
I remember the skymap being left on for landing into LAX on VXLG many years ago. I thought the crew had forgotten to switch it off as i hadnt seen it before that or since - even on Odessey fitted planes.

You just reminded me of an occasion flying in to SFO when skymap was on all the way, the landing had to be aborted at the last minute (traffic on the runway!) and there was quite a bit of concern onboard as to the whoosh and take off again, but what was amusing was that skymap got utterly confused. Instead of saying minutes and distance to landing it began to think we were heading for London again. Also amusing was the rather confused trail around SFO as we circled into the Pacific waiting a new landing slot.
#70961 by VS-EWR
26 Jul 2005, 20:18
What do you mean it was on all the way, that instead of IFE you were forced to watch the skymap the entire time?
#70962 by Richard28
26 Jul 2005, 20:20
Originally posted by airchabum
Hi honey lamb

Cheers
Alan

I had skymap switched on from the gate at LGW on Nova IFE (G-VGAL) when I went to Vegas - so it is not Odyssey specific!

Like you - annoyed when sky news came on!

I agree it should be switched on for departure on all flights - I find departure patterns facininating - but them I am rather sad :D
#70968 by VS045
26 Jul 2005, 21:18
I agree it should be switched on for departure on all flights - I find departure patterns facininating - but them I am rather sad

It's OK Richard, we're with you;)

Cheers,
VS045
#70971 by slinky09
26 Jul 2005, 22:01
Originally posted by VS-EWR
What do you mean it was on all the way, that instead of IFE you were forced to watch the skymap the entire time?

Well like VS045 I like listening to music and watching skymap, it's kinda soothing [8D]
#72393 by Claire L
06 Aug 2005, 14:18
Any ideas why Skymap has not been working on the LGW - MCO route as on both our outbound flight in June and inbound in July it wasn't working and the crew couldn't tell us why?
Thanks
Claire ;)
#72410 by chris78cpr
06 Aug 2005, 16:04
As has been said before, it would be really neat if the cockpit radio between the captain/first officer and the ground was available to listen to IN CONJUNCTION with skymap.

UA do that on most flights, it's always on channel 9 audio. Very cool to listen to!

I have flown on TOP and AST before and i think both time the skymap was on the entire flight! They are both oddeysey tho.

Chris
#72419 by mitchja
06 Aug 2005, 16:20
Originally posted by Claire L
Any ideas why Skymap has not been working on the LGW - MCO route as on both our outbound flight in June and inbound in July it wasn't working and the crew couldn't tell us why?
Thanks
Claire ;)

Hi Claire and welcome to V-Flyer

I flew back from NAS on G-VROM (IFE was Nova) and there was no Skymap so I think might not be working on a few LGW A/C. It was working on the outbound flight which was G-VAST (IFE was Odyssey).

Can anyone confirm if they have had a working Skymap or not on any LGW/MAN A/C with Nova (ie ROM, ROY, GAL, ROS and LIP) [?]

Regards
#72425 by onionz
06 Aug 2005, 16:38
Probably not much help since it was some time ago now, but anyway..

28th May - VLIP and 4th June - VGAL both had working Skymaps.

edit: Had to do some real hunting around to work out which flights I was on, and which aircraft they were!
#72445 by s0436
06 Aug 2005, 20:36
IMHO, the aircraft should go 'tech' if the Skymap does not seem to be working[}:)]
#72456 by Dave Adkins
06 Aug 2005, 21:16
As I have said elsewhere I tend to have the map on most of the flight (I like to know where I amn crashing :D:D:D) Seriously the non-working map wouldn't have anything to do with the security situation would it? Let's face it if you know where the plane is from the map.......[?]
#72505 by Richard28
07 Aug 2005, 16:09
have flown G-VROS 3 times over last two months - each time skymap has not worked.

Other sector was on G-VGAL - where it was fully operational.
#73692 by Dave Adkins
18 Aug 2005, 11:29
Has anyone flown more recently? I know it's sad, but I really would like to know if the map will be working when we fly on the 30th?
#73712 by David_C_H_1
18 Aug 2005, 14:11
It was working a treat on VS045 last Sunday.
#73747 by Dave Adkins
18 Aug 2005, 19:58
Thanks David
Orlando Here we come
[countdown]Aug 30, 2005 12:30:00 PM[/countdown]
#73763 by onionz
19 Aug 2005, 01:22
Was working fine on VS044 on Monday/Tuesday. Aircraft was VLIP.
Virgin Atlantic