This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#72774 by Bazz
09 Aug 2005, 21:29
Originally posted by HighFlyer
BTW: Whats gravlax?

Sarah, you are right to ask, "Gravadlax" is the correct name, these days; sadly, often shortened to, "Gravlax". It is "Smoked Salmon (which should be top quality and wild) - marinated in dill and herbs"

Do a google on the correct name, if you like smoked salmon, you will probably like Gravadlax [^]
#72778 by seany
09 Aug 2005, 21:41
Originally posted by fozzyo

I notice from the date this menu was the start of July, so isn't the new menu rotation as I thought that only started this week.

Foz xx

I think eurohill's menu is from a few days ago fozzyo.
#72780 by fozzyo
09 Aug 2005, 21:43
Oops! I was looking at the wrong one. [:I]
#72782 by VS-EWR
09 Aug 2005, 21:48
Well, I am probably the most picky eater in the entire known universe (and perhaps in the unknown part as well....), and I actually like some of the stuff on this menu. Although it does depend whether it tastes good or not. Several years ago I had steak during a First Class flight on CO. It was cooked to perfection and tasted excellent. It really depends on whether the food is prepared well enough, if so, it might not be so bad. If not, go to EC and steal someone's tray!
#72790 by badger
09 Aug 2005, 22:11
Actually Gravadlax is made with raw salmon not smoked salmon.
It is marinated with salt, sugar, pepper and dill for 2-5 days.
Pretty easy to make at home, but its important to weigh it down, so it soaks through evenly.
I think it originates in Sweden. You ususlly have it with a dill mustard sauce.
Sold everywhere, eg, Marks, Tesco or more upmarked in Harrods.
Its very nice
Regards
Chris
#72791 by Wolves27
09 Aug 2005, 22:21
That dill mustard sauce is fantastic!
#72817 by Bazz
10 Aug 2005, 11:31
Originally posted by badger
Actually Gravadlax is made with raw salmon not smoked salmon.
It is marinated with salt, sugar, pepper and dill for 2-5 days.
Pretty easy to make at home, but its important to weigh it down, so it soaks through evenly.
I think it originates in Sweden. You ususlly have it with a dill mustard sauce.
Sold everywhere, eg, Marks, Tesco or more upmarked in Harrods.
Its very nice
Regards
Chris

Hi Chris,

You can have it either way, if you Google you will see there are some suppliers who lightly smoke it, before the marinating process, not to the same extent as traditional smoked salmon and others who do not. I think the original Swedish method was to use unsmoked fish.

My personal preference is to go for it lightly smoked as it adds enormously to the flavour.
#72881 by badger
10 Aug 2005, 20:29
Bazz,
you are obviously right, but i was referring to the original receipe.
My friend's father is a chef, who worked a lon time in Sweden and showed me how to make it.
I wonder if the smoked version is adapted for the anglo-american taste. It appears to me that compared to people on the continent Brits and Americans are somewhat more hesitent to eat meat or fish, which is uncooked.(Although smoking is technically not really cooking either)
What do you think?
Chris
#72916 by Simon
11 Aug 2005, 01:04
We just came back from Havana in UC and also have a very very poor opinion of the food. Posted a thread on the matter but looking at other replies it appears Vigin customer services prefer to have their standard service in UC nowadays as crap food + 10k miles compensation. That's some statement of service - surely customer services ought to influence improvement rather than just manage complaints with a standard payoff - that make me feel treated even worse.

Eurohill - were we on the flight to Antigua in UC together last year, and you advised me on seating on this forum beforehand?
#72920 by eurohill
11 Aug 2005, 01:41
Hi Simon,

Yes was on the same flight last year. You have really depressed me with the sound of the return menu. I think I going to have to arrange to take a packed dinner with me. At present staying at the Four Seasons in Nevis and they understand what good food is. So it seem a case of fly upper class and bring your own food with you!
#72944 by Bazz
11 Aug 2005, 11:13
Badger,

I imagine you are right about the adaptation of the original recipe, raw fish is not to everyones taste the Brits being typically conservative in this area. Personally I like it and enjoy the whole sushi/sashimi thing too.
#73024 by Simon
11 Aug 2005, 22:56
Despite the food, it's impossible to fly other than UC now though - the wife and kids seem to have acquired a bit of a "taste" for it - they even talked me into taking one of their friends away each with them this time. Who for what it's worth say the food was at least as good as the Thomas Cook Spainish flight menu!!!

Suggest the Soup + Salmon + Cheese + weird pineapple thingy. Just as a friend, stay sooo clear of the teriyaki noodles, once they get round to fitting electric windows in UC, passengers are gonna start throwing them out the window and passing BA flights!
#73031 by mike-smashing
11 Aug 2005, 23:13
Yep, this new menu is exactly the same as the Autumn UK-US menu from last year, less one main course choice (as others have said, there was a fish choice as well).

Okay, the gravadlax salad really was nice (except it was called "marinated salmon" last year), so it's nice to see it back, but so soon! Come on, where's the imagination?

Very poor show VS! It really is very grim for frequent passengers, to get the "same old, same old", what are the catering department playing at?

Cheers,
Mike
#73039 by s0436
11 Aug 2005, 23:32
I suggest avoiding any Asian cuisine on the menu, should be left well alone...if you want Asian food, sample it on the ground in Shanghai, Tokyo or Hong Kong.
#73043 by kevinjp
11 Aug 2005, 23:38
Just read this on the VA Website regarding the problems with BA

All Virgin Atlantic flights leaving Heathrow are operating to schedule and with full onboard catering. Passengers are advised to check in as normal, and there is no need for a packed lunch!

From reading the posts on this topic perhaps VA should be offering the choice of a packed lunch to its Upper Class passengers.
#73302 by eurohill
15 Aug 2005, 07:58
Back yesterday on VS 34 and the UC menu was as follows

Starters
Seasonal leaf salad with sauteed bay scallops, tomatoes, oranges and tarragon dressing
Pumkin and coconut bisque

Main
Grilled dorado fish served with baked potatoe fries, grilled pineapples, carrots and tomatoe sauce.
Southern caribbean chicken churry with cilantro & sesame seed rice, baby corn, pineapple chutney and pitta bread.
Vegetable lasagne served with chunky tomatoe sauce.

Desert
Apple, raisin & cinnamon crepes with local nutmeg syrup
Vanilla ice cream with orange marmalade and rum sauce.

I understand that this is the new caribbean menu and surprisingly this was good and heard no complaints from my fellow passenages.But it looks like lite bites have been dropped. So it would appear that it depends where the meals are prepared. It is interesting that the caribbean can produce a better standard than the UK.

For my helpful comments to customer services on the outboard menu I received just 5,000 miles. Back tomorrow on VS15, so will be interesting to see if these helpful comments have made any difference!
#73303 by lilyjosh0
15 Aug 2005, 08:21
I think it's a real shame that they seem to be dropping the lite bites from the menu. At least with the lite bites there is some alternative if you don't like the main courses.

eurohill - hope you have a good trip tomorrow and that the food is better.
#73306 by mike-smashing
15 Aug 2005, 09:55
Originally posted by lilyjosh0
I think it's a real shame that they seem to be dropping the lite bites from the menu. At least with the lite bites there is some alternative if you don't like the main courses.

I made the same point to VS catering as you, regarding the light bites, that it gives an alternative to the full meal - surely the whole point of "Freedom".

However, that seemed to be completely lost on them, and their reply stated that the availability of "light bites" was influenced by sector time, and occasionally departure time - the VS17 being an example of a short flight which does have light bites on it's menu, because of it's late evening departure time (i.e. it's offered as a light supper).

In the same letter, VS also refuted all allegations of "cost cutting" and insist that they are only trying to "reduce wastage".

Mike
#73307 by lilyjosh0
15 Aug 2005, 10:10
hmmmm - reduce wastage or cost cutting? I'll give VS the benefit of the doubt. Mike, it seems from the response you received that they have totally missed the point that to the paying customer it feels like cost cutting.
#73315 by s0436
15 Aug 2005, 11:34
That dorado fish sounds tasty, shame it's only for West Indies routes.
#73650 by preiffer
18 Aug 2005, 00:04
Just had the exact same menu as eurohill on the VS11 today.

Opted (foolishly) for the steak. I've tasted better meat in a Big Mac. [V]

At least the "old steak" ala Gate Gourmet held some moisture! [:(!]
#73653 by seany
18 Aug 2005, 00:13
Originally posted by preiffer
Just had the exact same menu as eurohill on the VS11 today.

Opted (foolishly) for the steak. I've tasted better meat in a Big Mac. [V]

Bummer [xx(].

Has anyone else tried the new menu? Anything posotive?
#73667 by onionz
18 Aug 2005, 01:02
Just had another look at this topic, been away for a week. Following the discussion surrounding "Gravadlax", I can confirm that's the same as was on the menu last year, I had it, and it did taste good (p.s. I do like smoked salmon).

I do prefer "marinated salmon" to "gravadlax" or however VS spell it, though. :)
#73682 by s0436
18 Aug 2005, 09:53
Originally posted by preiffer

I wouldn't be too sure that the "moisture" was legitimate moisture, and not some foreign substance.
#73742 by eurohill
18 Aug 2005, 19:18
I spent some times with the girls on my VS15 flight seeing if anything could be done with the preparation of the food. Their conclusion was if given the right tools then they can prepare a reasonable meal. The low grade quauity of the main meals being load from LGW is the problem. Yes both the streak and chicken were returned as my plasic knife could not even cut them!
Virgin Atlantic