This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7254 by eurohill
07 Aug 2005, 00:22
Well after a long wait - its chicken or beef sir!

Out today on VS33 from LGW and the new UC menu was as follows

Starters
Seasonal leaf salad with gravlax, yellow & red peppers, cherry tomates & dill dressing.
Cream of asparagus, gruyere & tarragon soup.

Main
Chicken breast wrapped in pancetta served with herb gnocchi, mixed leaves and provencal sauce.
Grilled steak served with dauphinoise potatoes, fresh seasonal vegatbles and horse radish sauce.
Vegatable lasgne topped with sunblushed tomatoes and chives.

Desert
Fruits of the forest tart with pistachio tuile
Mango & lime ice cream on its own or drizzled with summer berry saurce.

Well it was the worst UC food I have tasted. The steak was like leather and I sent it back. The chicken was rock hard and tasteless.
Again sent back. It seems the new catering is worse than before.

Dare I say bring back the bangers and mash!
#72471 by preiffer
07 Aug 2005, 00:26
Originally posted by eurohill
Well it was the worst UC food I have tasted. The steak was like leather and I sent it back. The chicken was rock hard and tasteless.
Again sent back. It seems the new catering is worse than before.
{optimistic mode /on} Maybe these are just preparation teething problems...? [optimistic mode /off}

Thanks for the heads-up. As ever, I'll see what it's like (sometimes, I like my steak like leather - makes it last longer ;) ) and then make my mind up; but on the surface, it doesn't sound good.

just hope it's all tasty by August 17th!
#72472 by s0436
07 Aug 2005, 00:36
In written form, it doesn't seem so bad at all. But if the reviews remain sour, I may just opt for a bacon sarnie and the ice cream when I go UC next month.
#72474 by chris78cpr
07 Aug 2005, 02:22
Well that doesent sound that appealing. Maybe it tastes better than it sounds, if all fails then bacon sarnies it is!

Chris
#72476 by seany
07 Aug 2005, 04:05
Not again [}:)].

I hope they manage to improve the standards soon. Euorhill, you should send a letter. A few days after starting their brand new catering and they get a letter complaint [:p];).
#72482 by buns
07 Aug 2005, 10:08
Eurohill

Thanks for the report - have to say it is not a promising start[n]

buns
#72496 by G-VFAB
07 Aug 2005, 13:07
wow, that doesn't sound good at all.

desserts sound kinda simple as well, ice cream? and the starters, infact it all sounds simple, just the obviously can't do simple...
#72499 by s0436
07 Aug 2005, 13:58
I'd go with the soup for starters, even though it doesn't sound like a nice flavour (what happened to good old tomato and basil?!), at least it's a warm reprieve with some nice warm breads to compliment it. The salad option leaves a lot to be desired, over loaded with salad leaves, bland dressing and lifeless tomatoes.

For the main course, I'd probably go for the steak, at least the sauce will stop it from going overly dry.

And the desert, a cool reprieve, the ice cream with the sauce...although, it tends to need 10 minutes waiting time for the ice cream to melt enough for consumption.
#72511 by ChuckC
07 Aug 2005, 16:44
A shame that we have to even think about what food to avoid. I echo Paul and say "let's hope it's teething problems".

Chuck-
#72581 by VS045
08 Aug 2005, 11:43
In written form, it doesn't seem so bad at all. But if the reviews remain sour, I may just opt for a bacon sarnie and the ice cream when I go UC next month.

Guess what I had yesterday on the VS018 - bacon sarnie and ice cream (three, actually![}:)];))

Cheers,
VS045
#72596 by HighFlyer
08 Aug 2005, 14:34
Interesting that the new menu is pretty much like the old menu, although i dare say that considering the choices are usually a chicke, beef or fish option, steak and chicken breast are probably failsafe options.

BTW: Whats gravlax?
#72608 by jaguarpig
08 Aug 2005, 15:53
Whats gravlax?

salmon with green bits around the side:D
#72644 by Milliemoo
08 Aug 2005, 19:50
Hi Eurohill,

Thanks for the update. Can you remeber what snacks/lightbites were available?

Milliemoo
#72694 by onionz
08 Aug 2005, 23:25
This isn't a new menu at all!

I thought I was having deja vu reading some of those items, and lo and behold I have a Freedom Menu right in front of me (yes that i've removed from the plane [}:)]) and it has the following items that match exactly:

The soup, the grilled steak, the chicken, the vegetable lasagne and mango ice cream. The menu I have here has two other starters (not one like this "new menu") and one extra main (Poached plaice).

Surely other people recognise these options?

I'm trying to remember which flight my menu came from and i'm almost certain it was VS043 almost exactly one year ago (around 22nd August). In fact it must have been because its marked VS007/19/23/43 on the last page in the bottom left corner, and I haven't been on any of those other flights recently!

So VS are recycling old options!
#72710 by BlackCat
09 Aug 2005, 08:46
Originally posted by onionz
Surely other people recognise these options?

Yep, it did seem rather familiar. Apart, that is, from the reduction in main courses from 4 to 3. This now looks much more like a Y menu than J.
[:(!][:(!][:(!]

BC
#72717 by original bob
09 Aug 2005, 10:20
This is the UC menu from VS045 back on 6th July.

At that time i was under the impression that this was actually the new menu it was just after the new catering team was brought in.

Brunch Menu VS045 06/07/05

Small Bites
Pastries
Bacon Roll
Mozzarella & Proscuito
Caesar Salad

Bigger Bites
Full English
Steak
Rissotto

Cheese Selection

Afternoon Tea
Sandwiches
Scone
Cakes

At that time the debate was no more bangers and mash and there were none on the way out or on the way back.

Menu on VS010 on 11th July was roughly

Soup
Casear salad - very average

Steak (which was lovely - very surprised)
Duck
Risotto - i think

Cheese selection - very nice with a glass of port at the bar after a massage [8D]

Desert

Sorry was a bit wasted by then and didn`t really make a note of the menu [:I]
#72734 by eurohill
09 Aug 2005, 12:38
Just to add that there were no light bites on the menu. So thats another item which had been dropped from the service. There was afternoon tea which was as follows

Sandwich selection of egg mayonnise on oakmeal bread, proached salmon & watercress on malted granery bread and chicken & peppers on sun dried tomatoe bread.

Ginger scones served with clotted cream and strawberry jam.

Your choice from the cakestand - pistacho eclair, toffee symphony and apricot & almond pastries.

This all seemed very simular to what has been offered as afternoon tea for the last couple of years.

On my flight over half the UC cabin filled out the comments forms as regards the food. I am back on Friday, so will let you know the return menu!
#72757 by s0436
09 Aug 2005, 16:43
No lite bites option?[|)] And the afternoon tea menu sounds gormless.
#72759 by ade99
09 Aug 2005, 19:23
Why mess around with scones[:(!] can't they just have normal proper ones, and no light bites make it a poor show in my opinion.
#72760 by Wolves27
09 Aug 2005, 19:52
Maybe if we get this thread to 20 odd pages then something will get done... :)

Havn't flown UC since the new company took over so curious to see what its like.

Dean
#72762 by Dave Adkins
09 Aug 2005, 20:27
What with all the trouble with VS28 and now the new menu I'm beginning to regret upgrading us to UCS for the first time. This menu sounds worse than the old one, at least on the old one there was something I might have eaten[:(]
#72766 by seany
09 Aug 2005, 20:41
Ok, this menu is starting to sound even worse than the old one now [:0]. Technically VS only said there was going to be a new menu, they never said it was an improved menu, perhaps more cost cutting[:p].
#72767 by Scrooge
09 Aug 2005, 20:50
wh is it of late,it seems that every move VS makes,makes me want to go and bang my head against a wall?

This menu is terrible,nowhere near the UC standard of old
#72772 by fozzyo
09 Aug 2005, 21:26
*Looks at the menu*

*Sigh*
[:(]

I notice from the date this menu was the start of July, so isn't the new menu rotation as I thought that only started this week.

Foz xx
Virgin Atlantic