This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7372 by Scott
13 Aug 2005, 17:00
Hi,

I am going to NYC with the boyf in November through a Virgin Holidays package... I have a couple of questions abouy FlyingClub

1. Will we be eligible for miles on a Virgin Holidays itinerary, and if so, how many miles would we get?

2. Can we both collect miles into one account or do we need separate accounts each?
3. We travel a fair bit, but mostly within Europe and this is our first Virgin flight for a while (although we're in a position to fly long haul more often these days!) - do miles have a shelf-life - i.e. would 1 or 2 flights a year in Economy actually be worth collecting miles for?

4. If the answers above tempt me into joining, is it easy to get miles for a pre-booked trip added on to a new account?

5. How many of these questions could I have found answers to if I did a bit of a search? ;)

Thanks in advance for your help guys and girls!

Scott
#73203 by Tim
13 Aug 2005, 17:20
Scott,
Welcome to V-Flyer.
This website is a mine of information about VS.
To briefly answer your questions.
1) I believe that VH fares (booking class 'V') are eligable for VS flying miles and you get about 8600 miles for a return trip to NY.
2)You will need seperate accounts. You can't claim miles for another passenger even if you do pay thier fares.
3)Your acount has a 'shelf life'. You must use it at least once every 3 years either by adding miles or spending them, so in theory your miles never expire as long as there is some activity with your account every 3 years.
4). Miles are not added until after you fly, so join now and ensure that VH know your FC number. One point to note is that you could have got 10% discount on your VH holiday by being a FC member.
5) in one word.... All.

Enjoy your trip, Make full use of this website and don't forget post a TR after your holiday..
Tim.
#73207 by mitchja
13 Aug 2005, 17:58
HI Scott and welcome to V-Flyer :)

Tim's already covered your questions but just to add that all Virgin Holiday booked VS flights do earn the normal miles - it is well worth joining Flying Club, after all it doesn't cost you anything so what have you both got to lose [?]

Oh and BTW - as a miles junkie here (trust me once you join you'll be the same!!!) - I'd be more than happy to refer you both to Flying Club ;) ;) which would earn me miles too as all FC members can earn miles by refering other people :D

If you can access you VS flights on the VS web site (which you should be able to having booked through VH - you just need your VH booking reference) you will be able to add your new FC number once it's issued as well as the usual change seats or update meal preferences.

Regards
#73208 by NYCFlyer
13 Aug 2005, 18:09
Well worth joining FC.

I joined and had a measly number of miles which wouldn't have gotten me anywhere. But in time and with the help of both Amercian Express (transfer points) and now the FC Mastercard I have a healthy balance and have been UC to NYC once already almost FOC.

Go for it

Graham
#73209 by robandgill
13 Aug 2005, 18:09
Originally posted by Scott
3. We travel a fair bit, but mostly within Europe

Yeah that used to be like us, and look what happened after
we joined flying club, its hard to convince yourself to have
a holiday at a non-VS (or non-partner) destination...

don't hesitate do it today, very least you'll have enough
miles for an M&M fare.

robert
#73212 by Scott
13 Aug 2005, 18:27
Thanks for your replies everyone! I'm well and truly convinced now, so I shall sign up this weekend and await the arrival of my little red card! (Which, if I've read some other threads correctly, will come just in time for Christmas (after we get back)).

Scott
#73228 by Gixer1000
13 Aug 2005, 22:37
I didnt know that I would be able to join the flying club either, for some reason I had it in my head that you had to have booked 3 trips with virgin to be a frequent flyer, maybe I got that mixed up with something else?
Mitchja, you can refer me to the flying club if you like to earn yourself some points, I can give you flight details etc if you need them?
#73230 by p17blo
13 Aug 2005, 22:55
Anybody can join Flying club (rather than the Frequent Virgin Club from VH).

And to answer your question, why shouldn't you join.

Paul
#73232 by Nottingham Nick
13 Aug 2005, 23:05
Originally posted by Gixer1000
I had it in my head that you had to have booked 3 trips with virgin to be a frequent flyer, maybe I got that mixed up with something else?

In the 'old days' of Virgin Freeway, before it was the Flying Club and tier points were introduced, you had to take three return flights in a 12 month period to attain (then) lifetime silver.

Or, as p17blo has suggested, you may be thinking about the Frequent Virgins Club, I think that is three VH trips to qualify for membership.

Nick
#73351 by Jonathan
15 Aug 2005, 16:59
Scott,
you can also spend miles on other things other than flights..
see here

VS stuff is obviously the best value though!!

{preiffer - edited link}
Virgin Atlantic