This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7406 by honey lamb
16 Aug 2005, 01:05
You will have read about the trials and tribulations of my getting my gold card but disaster struck Maison honey lamb again this morning

To put it into context my son, who was silver, had accompanied me on all my trips this year bar one. He was therefore 10 tier points short of getting gold and the tool on the VS website told him he needed 10 by the end of July and 20 by the end of August/ September. We had no trips planned. Impossible? Not quite! Son had enlisted for the Virgin Swingers (where he is doing very nicely, thank you very much) and had discovered that for every golf round played at a VS destination overseas he would get 2 bonus points which would be converted to tier points and doubled if he were among the top three players to win bonus points that month. Therefore honey lamb was hauled around five of Disney’s courses during our recent jaunt to Orlando and as a result he was awarded 20 tier points which meant that gold was his! Or was it?

This morning at work I received a call from him incandescent with rage as only 16 year olds can be. My gold card had arrived but for him was a red card and a letter welcoming him to the Flying Club! Of course mother had to sort it out. Having been pointed in the right direction by LRoM I sought to speak to a supervisor who unfortunately was off duty but the lady answering the phone undertook to help me. Unfortunately just as she was explaining that for some unfathomable reason he had two accounts the connection broke down and as she had not given her name I had to start from scratch. This time again we got as far as the two accounts one of which had no activity and was being cancelled and the lady mentioned it had been set up on-line. I realised immediately what had happened. When we were trying to set up his account on-line it seemed to go into a loop and never completed so I called the Flying Club who had no trace of it on-line and set up the account he was using. It had obviously left a footprint and into that footprint, when I asked them to check, the tier points had been added. She later called back to confirm that the accounts had been merged and now the honey lamb household basks in a golden glow!
#73404 by preiffer
16 Aug 2005, 01:08
16 year old Au member... [8D]

Not bad going at all ;)
#73406 by Nottingham Nick
16 Aug 2005, 02:03
Congrats honey lamb, gald it all worked out in the end.

[y] To LRoM again... it's not just what you know.... ;);)

Nick
#73411 by p17blo
16 Aug 2005, 03:10
Honey, As a golf fan myself can you give me details of how I can rack up a few more tier points playing golf abroad?

Thanks

Paul
#73413 by lilyjosh0
16 Aug 2005, 08:24
well done honey, lets hope next years renewal goes a bit more smoothly!
#73417 by honey lamb
16 Aug 2005, 09:24
I believe this is the promotion on the VS website

That's the one! I think it is due to end in the middle of September
#73435 by RichardMannion
16 Aug 2005, 13:51
Glad to hear that its all fixed for you! Wish I was a FC Au at 16, I had to wait until I was 21!
:)

Thanks,
Richard
#73456 by Scrooge
16 Aug 2005, 16:38
congrats on both of you getting gold.

I took a look at the link,buty of course there is nothing to say which course's in the US/North America would count towards this..After reading that Honey Lambs son was able to get TP's from playing in Florida im guessing that I could do the same here in Vegas/SoCal...anyone have a list of the course that are in this promotion?
#73488 by honey lamb
16 Aug 2005, 20:09
Originally posted by jetwet1
congrats on both of you getting gold.

I took a look at the link,buty of course there is nothing to say which course's in the US/North America would count towards this..After reading that Honey Lambs son was able to get TP's from playing in Florida im guessing that I could do the same here in Vegas/SoCal...anyone have a list of the course that are in this promotion?

Dave,

There's no specific list of the courses on which to play. All you have to do is send photographic evidence which includes the name of the course somewhere in the photograph. Since you will have already submitted a photo as part of the registration they verify that it is you and Bingo! Bonus points. Son just did five of the Disney courses and that was it. Someone else also got bonus points for playing a round at another Orlando course, and yes, you would get points for playing in Las Vegas as it is a VS destination. I don't know how specific a destination it has to be. Someone submitted a photo from San Diego and I think it was accepted
#73490 by preiffer
16 Aug 2005, 20:15
Before everyone starts taking pictures all around the world, do bear this little piece of the blurb in mind!:

"10.7 Each month the top three Bonus Point earners will have their bonus points converted into tier points and these tier points will be doubled. For more information and Terms & Conditions relating to tier points, please visit the Frequent Flyer section of the Virgin Atlantic website."

As Honey Lamb mentioned, unless you're in the top 3, the points are only of use to you in the Golf league...
#73577 by jaguarpig
17 Aug 2005, 15:11
This is the first promotion I can ever recall that awards TPs and not additional miles,though TPs were only ever earned from flights.
#73582 by Decker
17 Aug 2005, 15:34
Without wishing to denigrate anyone's Au achievements... [V]

Miles are one thing, TPs another. Now all we need is a senior VS marketing manager to do the same for pub crawls and McCuth and I will romp our Au renewals...
#73596 by RichardMannion
17 Aug 2005, 17:40
Originally posted by Decker
Without wishing to denigrate anyone's Au achievements... [V]

Miles are one thing, TPs another. Now all we need is a senior VS marketing manager to do the same for pub crawls and McCuth and I will romp our Au renewals...

I'd be a negative gold member at that suggestion then.... :)

Thanks,
Richard
#73598 by mitchja
17 Aug 2005, 17:51
Congratulations again Honeylamb :)

At least VS aren't giving Au away at the drop of a hat like *A have been doing for the last 2 years now!

Regards
#73600 by Jonathan
17 Aug 2005, 18:07
The only status match i'm aware they have done is for Australians[:0]

Still I guess they need to promote the route to the existing business market..
#73617 by mcuth
17 Aug 2005, 20:48
Originally posted by Decker
Now all we need is a senior VS marketing manager to do the same for pub crawls and McCuth and I will romp our Au renewals...

Hell, some of us would be V50s ;):D

Originally posted by RichardMannion

Mate, they'd take TPs off for Diet Coke, so you wouldn't even be in the club :D:D

Cheers

Michael
#73641 by RichardMannion
17 Aug 2005, 23:29
Originally posted by mcuth

Mate, they'd take TPs off for Diet Coke, so you wouldn't even be in the club :D:D

Cheers

Michael

Hence the 'negative' comment :D

Thanks,
Richard
#73655 by mcuth
18 Aug 2005, 00:15
Hence the 'negative' comment :D

Well, you can't be a "negative gold" if you're not even in the FC ;):D

Cheers

Michael
#73715 by ChuckC
18 Aug 2005, 14:56
Honey,
Great story! Congratulations to your son for his prowess and to you, of course, for your usual persistence and sorting skill.[y]

Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic