This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7419 by fozzyo
16 Aug 2005, 23:14
There has been a lot of discussion over recent months about the lowering in quality of food in Upper Class. We have heard what people don't like on the menu, but what would you like? Or what would you do differently?

Personally I'd like to see the Square Pie's a permanent fixture. Square Pie make 12 (if you include the Fish) different pies, so for those who are frequent flyers why couldn't they rotate around every month or two weeks? I'm sure you must get bored of the same food.

Foz xxx
#73510 by preiffer
16 Aug 2005, 23:26
One thing I've NEVER seen on ANY airline is Lasagne. I, for one, would go for it every time :D

It only takes 3.5 minutes in the microwave, so I'm sure it's possible to get one that's suitable for inflight re-heating ;)
#73514 by BlackCat
17 Aug 2005, 00:09
There are some basics with airline food. For example anything that relies on frying, searing or grilling is likely not to taste anywhere near as good as it might do on the ground. Hence the awful "potato wedges" that VS have sometimes ill advisedly served up, and the varying quality of meats.

The best dishes are those that have enough liquid or sauce to ensure that they don't dry out, hence the popularity of curries, stews and so on. The pies pretty much fall into this bracket too. And of course a decent cold salad should always be possible.

So, with that in mind I'd like to see:

Sushi (easily stored and served, but it had better be decent quality)
Indian food (rice is generally OK on a plane)
Thai food (and a tom yum goong would be a nice alternative soup)
More innovative salads which can be served with either meat, fish or on their own (VS used to do this in the good old days of UC food)

On our F SQ flights earlier in the year I had some decent sushi and a truly great dish of Peranakan Chicken which easily surpassed most restaurant food. Surely "Book the Cook" service like SQ (which is available in both J and F) would be within the bounds of possibility?

Oh, and more attention paid to the wines too, please. Get rid of that repulsive alleged champagne. Instead stock Petaluma Croser as a nod to the LHR-SYD route. And the white wine selection should always include at least one big Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, a decent, heavy oaked Chardonnay, and of course something a tad lighter like a Pino Gris even though these don't fly as well.

And ferchrissakes get us some decent beer. Fuller's is just down the road from LHR in Chiswick and I'd be happy with some Pride, ESB or Golden Pride.

BC
#73516 by BransonDisciple
17 Aug 2005, 00:26
What a GREAT topic :D

If I were god (or even better, SRB) I would include the following on the UC menu:

STARTER
* Bacon-wrapped scallops with lime-pepper marinade

MAIN
* Pork loin stuffed with morels, served with fluffy mashed and par-boiled asparagus spears.

SWEET
* Spotted dick

LITE BITES
* Miniature shrimp and mint summer rolls (the soft rice paper kind, not the deep friend kind)
* Dolmades and a avgro-limono dipping sauce

That would be suitably interesting for me...

BD
#73519 by slinky09
17 Aug 2005, 01:08
Fozzyo way cool subject dude

Blackcat, have to disagree with you about sushi and sashimi, it has to be prepared fresh and in front of you ... mind you if there were a sushi chef on board in UC that would be cool!

So
- being a fan of bangers and mash I'd have to say cottage pie
- jam roly poly and custard
- really good smoked salmon sandwiches
- eggs benedict
- an excellent and varying selection of cheese, wouldn't that be so easy to do good cheese and vary it from flight to flight
- scallops on something

Oooh am getting hungry!
#73524 by Littlejohn
17 Aug 2005, 09:15
An excellent topic, and an ispired way to present a complaint in a positive manner. So well done to the OP.

I very much agree with blackcat about "wet" meals beig better and how well oriental and easter meals work on an aircraft.

I occurs to me that wether we be flying on business or bucket and spade, how enjoyable it would be to have something with a local feel to you destination. this would bring in texmex food maybe, carib food (slurp), currys, chinese, japanese... And square pies on the return leg, or maybe steak and kidney pud (mmm nice).

And a really good salad with an interesting selection of sliced meats, sausages and fish would be great for me as a main course.

I am surprised Egg has not raised lamb shank yet. it doesn't normally take him this long to build it into the conversation.

#73526 by s0436
17 Aug 2005, 09:43
My own options

Starters
Tomato and Basil soup, with fromage frais, served with a selection of hot cobbler breads.

Main
BBQ chicken (chicken fillets enveloped with a sweet and tangy BBQ/Tex Mex sauce), with herb and garlic fries, spicey baked beans, rocket and carrots.

Dessert
'Hot and Cold' strawbery and banana sundae, served ontop with a dollop of whipped cream, nuts, chocolate shavings and strawberry ice cream, banana sauce and a compote of warm strawberries at the bottom.

Tea and coffee, chocolate mints and California raisins

Breakfast
Belgian Waffle with warm strawberries
Fresh Fruit with pineapple yoghurt
Toast - served with the 'local' marmalade/jam/jelly of destination.
Demi-cups of apple, orange and mango juices
Iced orange/strawberry tea - ice must be blended, not just ice cubes thrown in.
#73528 by p17blo
17 Aug 2005, 10:03
Bangers and Mash!

No, on a serious note I would like to see fairly simple base plates with maybe some additional sauces

Fillet Steak, sliced before cooking then put together before serving (a la Andre's in Naples FL if anyone knows it) with some Garlic Saute Potato. Then a choice of say something like a peppercorn sauce, maybe some A1, a red wine sauce

Chicken Fajitas, chicken seperated from all other part of the fajita so people can make their own mind up about what they put in the tortilla. And for those who don't want the finger food fuss can then just east the chicken and vegetables.

Piri Piri Chicken and Mushroom shish keebabs

Paul
#73529 by easygoingeezer
17 Aug 2005, 10:04
LAMB! LAMB! LAMB!

OH ERM AND THAI FISHCAKES.

With a sexy cabin attendant on the side[:I]
#73531 by iforres1
17 Aug 2005, 10:11
Great Topic Foz.

I recommend all of the above:D.

Maybe some Caviar and Bliny's with ice cold vodka (Russian of course). What do you think Black cat;)

Seriously what a great way for VS to get a handle o what their PAX want. I hope they are lurking today.

Iain
#73533 by Doc
17 Aug 2005, 10:39
Rather than Square pie's introduce some West country class and serve Cornish Pasty and Chips. :D
#73534 by colmc
17 Aug 2005, 10:43
They really should let me have a go, I can whip up some mean food ;)

*puts thinking cap on*
#73536 by fozzyo
17 Aug 2005, 11:00
Some great replies and ideas, thanks for sharing.

Having read through the ideas I'm not sure what i'd have specifically, but generally speaking I would prefer slightly simpler food that is really well prepared / cooked and presented. It can be jazzed up with nice sides and extras, but keep the food simple and good quality when its re-heated. I would much prefer to have a really tasty fairly basic meal.

Foz xxx
#73537 by AlanA
17 Aug 2005, 11:31
Me?
Roast beef, yorkshire pudding, veggies
followed by Rice pudding

Simple tastes me :D
#73538 by timsdm
17 Aug 2005, 11:37
I know it would take some organising but it could be another selling point for VA - would be what SQ do i.e. the book the cook service, some key dishes that appear to be everyones favourite's.

Book the cook is where you fax/email SQ before you fly to choose from a list what you would like to eat, seperate to what is offered on board.

I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to add it to the seat selection page on the website.

Saying that I would always choose what I thought was the biggest portion anyway as my eyes are soooo much bigger than my stomach - so my mum says [:p]
#73541 by RichardMannion
17 Aug 2005, 12:18
Originally posted by easygoingeezer

With a sexy cabin attendant on the side[:I]

Cheeky! :) Are you trying to say that the lovely VS crew don't meet this standard already? Maybe you should try flying on some other carriers, you'd be running back so quickly you'd drop your lamb ;) If we're talking a Britney Spears Toxic cabin attendant offering, then thats a whole different ball game and not one we can really discuss in a family forum like this (for the person thats reading this and knows exactly what I am talking about :D)

Good topic though - I'm a simple person at times, and simple food is always a winner in my book. I happen to like the bangers and mash (controversial I know), lasagne sounds a fab idea, toad in the hole, the Square Pies (just to keep fozzyo happy :)). I'm no big fan of stupidly poncey food - how many times have you sat in UCS and looked at the menu and the starters and just asked, 'Err which one is the soup then?' - and sure enough there is always a 'soup' on there with some other bizarre name. Maybe I should just stick to the kids menu... :D

Thanks,
Richard
#73542 by original bob
17 Aug 2005, 12:21
I would love to see Satay as a starter as done by Malaysia Airlines in J and F class.

It`s the best tasting airline food i ever had and they use it as a unique selling point for their in flight catering.

Perhaps Virgin should use the same caterers as MAS, their food is excellent especially in J & F class.

Lets get Jamie Oliver invloved and take a petition to Downing Street, "say no to crappy airline food" :D
#73544 by seany
17 Aug 2005, 12:23
Originally posted by p17blo

No, on a serious note I would like to see fairly simple base plates with maybe some additional sauces

I agree. I think VS sometimes try to make their dishes too complex with too many sauces and veg and so on. I wouldn't mind having bread rolls/baguettes as an option for the main course with a choice of chicken, tuna, cheese etc. They could also have one of those veggie pizas that you just have to heat for a minute or so and then make it look fancy. As has been mentioned, Lasagne wouldn't be a bad idea either. I don't mind the desserts as they are, but I would like to see some chocolate cake on the menu. For starters I think sausage/cheese and onion rolls would be a good idea.
#73547 by mdvipond
17 Aug 2005, 12:28
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting hungry?

FANTASTIC idea re. roast beef and Yorkshire pud, although as a life long inhabitant of God's County, they'd have to do a damn fine job on the pud.

Anything 'saucey' (curries, stews, casseroles,) poached or braised seems to be the best idea in terms of what will cook best. Poached chicken breast with a white wine sauce or lamb shanks braised in red wine are always a winner with me. Or steak in ale with mustard mash. Oh yes. Is it lunch time yet...?
#73555 by easygoingeezer
17 Aug 2005, 12:48
How on earth can you sex up a pizza sean?
#73556 by preiffer
17 Aug 2005, 12:58
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
How on earth can you sex up a pizza sean?
I've seen it done in a movie before - but I'm probably not allowed to discuss the content in that much detail on here... [:0];)
#73557 by Decker
17 Aug 2005, 13:06
Sure it wasn't a pie?
#73560 by easygoingeezer
17 Aug 2005, 13:18
MMmmm that explains the pie fetish on here then
#73562 by Jonathan
17 Aug 2005, 13:55
Starter:

Smoked Salmon (with cream cheese and chives)
and a good soup option (maybe parsnip?)

Main:

Steak (pref Fillet)

Desert:
Creme Brulee
#73569 by jaguarpig
17 Aug 2005, 14:50
One thing I've NEVER seen on ANY airline is Lasagne

Served on BA in WT & WT+ before you had to bring your own sarnies:D
mrs jag has had a veggie Lasagne on VS several times.
Virgin Atlantic