This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#74196 by bostonbrit
23 Aug 2005, 17:46
They do little bottles of Buxton water now - with a sports cap.

:)

Originally posted by s0436
The water - the plastic cup with the film over the top is vile vile vile, makes my stomach churn. Water should not be room temp in a plastic cup with a plastic film over the top. Should be refridgerated water in a cool bottle with removable top.
#74197 by easygoingeezer
23 Aug 2005, 17:50
mmm curry and a long haul pressurised cabin, the plane would make time with all that fart power. The oxygen masks might need to come down too.
#74199 by InsertNameHere
23 Aug 2005, 17:59
Lay off the water in specimen jars!

They used to provide me with hours of puzzled amazement as I tried to understand why the hell they had given them to us. The one conclusion I did reach is that they weren't meant to solve thirst. I decided this because I have never once opened one without the sudden give in the foil as it opens resulting in the contents of the tin down my t-shirt :D

Wet dishes are the way forward - the air on the plane is dehumidified with makes the plane, unsurprisingly, a very dry place to be - ergo the last thing you want is a chicken breast with new potatoes, but without any sauce [xx(]

If curries are too contentious, then things like spag bol, or fish with a creamy sauce are also possibilities.
#74209 by PatDavies
23 Aug 2005, 19:23
I suppose that one should not gloat that at least VA has hot food on its aircraft[}:)]

Unlike a certain other British airline.......

Seriously, it looks as though VA got out of Gate Gourment just in time.
#74249 by mike-smashing
23 Aug 2005, 22:32
Originally posted by PatDavies
Seriously, it looks as though VA got out of Gate Gourment just in time.

In response, GG are blaming their problems on losing the VS contract to LSG, who I think are doing a better job with the Y food than GG were - sure there's room for improvement, but the chicken dish I had out of LHR back in June (catered by LSG) was much better than the older stuff (which I think was outsourced to Northern Foods, who make M&S ready meals).

I don't know if LSG are preparing the Y meals on site at their Feltham flight kitchen, or whether they are shipped in. I know LSG have a large food manufacturing facility in Germany, which can produce chilled and frozen meals for shipping out to the various stations. Nevertheless, they do seem to be of a better quality.

As someone else said, they just need to sort the J food now - and on that subject, I went to a private event at the Roof Gardens (SRB's rooftop club in Kensington) last week, and the food was superb - I wonder if that counts as needing a trip report? ;)

Anyway, they really looked after us, and did an outstanding BBQ. Maybe the chef at the Roof Gardens could give VS some menu advice! :)

Cheers,
Mike
#74256 by Scrooge
23 Aug 2005, 23:00
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
mmm curry and a long haul pressurised cabin, the plane would make time with all that fart power. The oxygen masks might need to come down too.

this reminds me of a trip back home,on the last night there it dwaned on me that I hadn't had a curry the whole trip !!! So off to the local I go,nice madras..slept the night away,get to LHR,decide to eat before the flight,drop into one of the resturants and the only thing that looked good was a chicken tika..get on the plane,FA ask's if I would like the beef or a chicken curry...8 hours into an 11 hr flight im sure the other pax were not happy with my choice :D
#74273 by PatDavies
23 Aug 2005, 23:59
My understanding is that Y meals are made abroad, frozen and shipped to UK.

J meals are made up in UK and chilled
Virgin Atlantic