This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7464 by David
19 Aug 2005, 11:53
Thought I would have a go at starting a discussion about something rather than food / service etc;)

Have been wading through some of the mud across on airliners.net about 747 (adv) orders and it seems that there is spare capacity on the 747 line while they decide if they will give the go ahead to the advanced jumbo.

When reading some of the threads here, it seems that Virgin are starting to play catch up with new / expanded routes and their fleet of aircraft.(however, remember they postponed their 380's ??)

Does anyone think that they should place an order for some new jumbos or are these going to be a thing of the past for VA.

Any comments?

regards

David
#73781 by Richard28
19 Aug 2005, 13:56
If the price is right then you never know! - I can see reasons for and against on this one...

For : now that A380 orders have been pushed back a little there maybe there is a requirement for something to fill the Gap and maintain expansion plans?

Againmst : You can see the 744's at LHR moving to LGW/MAN ops in future years, and LHR being an A380/A340 base - so on these grounds perhaps VS have got enough 744's already, and with all the 346's coming on stream there is no further need for more 744's?

Rich.
#73790 by Jonathan
19 Aug 2005, 14:46
Personally, as much as I love the 747, im glad airbus has developed a competitor..as change is good for any industry

From a support perpective other that the 744's VS is an airbus fleet and must be advantagous in terms of pilot training and servicing.

I think the 340-600's can manage at the mo as VS converted serveral 380 options to 600's

So to answer your question..No I think vs should wait for its the rest of its 600's & 380's (whenever they'll be built)

Unless VS gets a cheap deal of course but I imagine the airbus deal would have been discounted given the size of the order..
#73792 by ChuckC
19 Aug 2005, 14:48
David,
Thanks for the new topic. That's one of the wonderful assets of our Forum, the curiousity of our members.

Have being following the 747ADV discussion and have heard that United Parcel Service has ordered additional 74Fs while awaiting the (delayed) order of A380s and Boeing's promise of the 747ADV.

If Boeing can further decrease the cost per hour of operating the 747 I believe the worldwide market will remain, whether in cargo or pax configuration. The "47" is still the most popular pax jet.

Regards,
Chuck-
#73824 by Scrooge
19 Aug 2005, 21:16
my turn to jump in..

Unless the price is very right VS will stick with the Airbus's..why?

Well the 744 adv hasn't even been built yet,though on the outside the changes look small,there are some major ones involved which will take a couple of years at least to iron out,the big of course being a new wing.

What it comes down to though is how long it will take boeing to get VS the 744 over airbus coming up with the A346 and A380's..sorry to say (as I love the 744) that Airbus is going to win the race on that one.
#73830 by ChuckC
19 Aug 2005, 22:12
I tend to agree with Dave on this one. Who knows? Maybe Boeing will surprise us by moving forward with the 74ADV on a faster schedule.

Is a possible wildcard here the delay of the A380 introduction?

Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic