This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7467 by italianbulldog
19 Aug 2005, 18:35
Well i had my first flight on Virgin on the 18th of August and i have to say i was very impressed.
I came from Rome with Alitalia and connected in London with Virgin to go to Washington. I was not give the seat i reserved but seat 41C (1st seat of the economy cabin) so i had a lot of room.
I was really dissapointed though that i was on an old plane. V-Fly with the arcadia system (which is not that bad considering its 11 years old). But none the less i was at least expecting odyssey. Luckily the screens in the 1st row are bigger for some reason so...
The cabin crew was really friendly and helpful. I have never had such a devoted cabin crew. They really made u feel like they cared, and i had a very pleasent flight.

Once we got to D.C i collected my bags and noticed that one was majorly broken. It was a relatively small bag, which has a solid shell (its sliver) one of the corners on the top was totally broken and it was all cracked. Its totally unusable.
I filed a complaint and found out that their policy on bags i RIDICULOUS. They say that after the 1st year the bag looses 50% of its value and after the second year it looses another 25%. Meaning that they will send a check home in two months with 30$. I find this ridicuolus. Not to mention i cannot buy a new bag with 30$ (plus it was my favorite bag).
Where can i write a complaint letter?

I was really happy with my experience with Virgin untill i had to deal with the lady and the baggage services, wich was also really rude (i was there with my mother and father and she kept saying that i was lucky to have such a nice family and that a broken bag will is not a big deal and there are more important things, which is true but she is paid by Virgin to deal with bags not to compliment my family, plus she never appologised once for what had happened).

I will probably fly virgin agian but i will use the oldest bags i have!
#73808 by Kryten
19 Aug 2005, 18:57
I am not sure but I don't know if VS actually do the baggage handling at IAD? I presume not.

As for the policy, I agree that its pretty bad, do you have to show reciept for purchase or put down original price of the bag on the form? Personally I travel with a Samsonite hard case and its done a lot of flights and is still in good condition except for the front wheels refuse to stay in a straight line half the time.

IAD baggage handlers are not the best, I had a 5 hour connection there a last month and the failed to connect my bags!

As for the plane, you missed out on an A340-600 by one day! I flew back from IAD on the 17th and it was a -600 :D It was pretty empty though (I two seats of PE to myself byt eh bulkhead (18A/C), and there were loads of J seats available and a lot of Y was open too (full rows of 4 in the middle).
#73811 by italianbulldog
19 Aug 2005, 19:05
You gotta be kiddin me. I was so close to fly on a v-port plane.... Arggg!!! O well, my plane was full.

The baggage department at IAD is horrible, same at DCA. They broke so many bags, but US Airways used to give us new bags every time.

Who can i write a complaint letter too? Hoping they will answer
#73817 by lilyjosh0
19 Aug 2005, 19:59
italianbulldon - I agree it does seem unfair. It's irrelevant what the case is worth. The fact is that you have to buy a new case.

On our last trip with VS in May our bag was also broken. We telephoned VS at Miami and eventually were put through to Conneticut. They then delivered a brand new Samsonite suitcase to our hotel the next day and needless to say we were really impressed with the service. They didn't even ask how old our case was.

I'm sorry that you don't seem to have been so lucky but I do think it's worth a phone call or email to VS
#73819 by italianbulldog
19 Aug 2005, 20:14
Thats what i call good service.
I will definetly complain. What am i gonna buy with 30 dollars? Not even the cheapest bag at wallmart!!
#73821 by Scrooge
19 Aug 2005, 20:58
Originally posted by Kryten
Personally I travel with a Samsonite hard case and its done a lot of flights and is still in good condition except for the front wheels refuse to stay in a straight line half the time.

That has nothing to do with the age of the bag,thats the way they are designed from the factory :D

Sucks about the luggage though,these things do happen but it sucks to be only offered $30 to replace it
#73823 by p17blo
19 Aug 2005, 21:10
Don't bother complaining. Been their done that. Damaged cases are a fact of life. I had a brand new samsonite damaged on its first flight. Got offered $100 so I refused to leave the building. Eventually they did agree to pay the full cost (up to $200). I still was not happy as I had to buy a new case first and claim the money when I got back to the airport to fly home. And the case had cost me $225 just days before. Anyway I did buy another managed to get the shop to discount down to $199.99 and Virgin did give me my money.

However, during many conversation with them and others on my return they clearly state and usually stick to a liaility for case damage. I think I was lucky only having bought the case just days before.

Check your insurance, you may be able to claim, plus there are some good case fixers out there that may be able to repair the damage (although probably not with a hard shell)

Save yourself the stress of complaining that may not get you anything.

Paul
#73827 by italianbulldog
19 Aug 2005, 21:28
Yea my bag is not fixable.
I will write a complaint letter. In these cases its better to do stuff written down than over the phone.
Ill see what happens
#73829 by s0436
19 Aug 2005, 22:02
Sucks ass about the plane. I assume that route usually has a newer aircraft? I will seriously do some damage if my plane is not the 600.
#73849 by Kryten
20 Aug 2005, 08:29
Originally posted by s0436
Sucks ass about the plane. I assume that route usually has a newer aircraft? I will seriously do some damage if my plane is not the 600.

Quite the opposite, it usually runs a -300, although so far 3 flights to/from IAD and 3 time a -600 for me :D It was Indian Princess this latest trip.
#73855 by VS_Lover
20 Aug 2005, 11:32
No they don't do the baggage claim in IAD. If that'd happened on your inbound to LHR, you'd have been given a new case there and then.
#73886 by italianbulldog
20 Aug 2005, 16:19
Thats really unfortunate.
Vs-lover, do you think that if i call them/email them i have a chance of getting a new bag?

Kryten- Well i guess my luck wasn't that good because my 1st flight with virgin i immediately got to experience Arcadia, not even odyssey
Virgin Atlantic