This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7475 by Alan
20 Aug 2005, 11:57
Hi Guys - I was looking at the Miles Plus Money fares to Sydney J class and they work out about £700 less. Would you say then that the saving is worth the loss of miles? I had read somewhere that you do not earn miles or tier points, is this correct. My other concern is that I can’t really afford a J ticket but this is my only option as I can not consider Premium I personally find that the seat as so uncomfortable. Y on V.A is out of the question not because of the service but the appalling leg room.

Another major thing for me to consider is that I need to visit Perth, my partner’s sister lives there.

My heart says Virgin but my head is telling me something else! Would you say that SQ would be a better option? I can get some tier points but is their economy seat better than V.A premium seat? Also, how comfortable is their business seat on this route. Should I just forget about the Miles / Tier points and try and find the cheapest business ticket?

I know these must sound silly questions to you but it is such a long way and I’m worried that unless I carefully consider each option I will regret it later.

Thanks,
#73884 by Strawberry Muppet
20 Aug 2005, 15:36
Originally posted by Alan
Hi Guys - I was looking at the Miles Plus Money fares to Sydney J class and they work out about £700 less. Would you say then that the saving is worth the loss of miles?

No. That's a very small saving indeed. You won't earn miles or tier points on a M+M fare and on top of the 15K needed for the redemption you'll lose out on the 42K miles in J earned on that route. SQ Y is fine for me at 32".

If you're not travelling until the end of the year why not consider Air New Zealand's Premium Pacific Economy which I know they have a fare of £999 or so. ANZ is a Flying club partner airline. They also fly non-stop from AKL-PER.

More info on Pacific Premium Y here:
http://www.v-flyer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6863

The Strawb
#73892 by Alan
20 Aug 2005, 18:01
Originally posted by Strawberry Muppet

If you're not travelling until the end of the year why not consider Air New Zealand's Premium Pacific Economy which I know they have a fare of £999 or so. ANZ is a Flying club partner airline. They also fly non-stop from AKL-PER.

Thanks for that. I did take a look it looks very nice but AKL to Perth is over 7 hrs ! Is SQ Y seat comfortable? i.e did you find it more of less comfortable than Virgins W or Y

Out of the other (cheaper i.e not B.A) airlines who has the best business seat?

Cheers
#73900 by Jonathan
20 Aug 2005, 19:30
I've flown to SYD in Y on SQ (before VS launched their service)
The seat is as any other Y seat I think - no better no worse

The food I prefered. The service was good (although more polite/formal than VS's more informal friendly service)

The IFE is simular to V-Port

The funny thing is you get more TP's on SQ in Y than on VS
This is because on SQ its 2 sectors LHR-SIN SIN-SYD (2tps each 4 total each way) VS award 3TPS for LON-SYD each way.

Of course the other issue is where you may wish to stop over I'd probably try VS next time (if I could stop over) so I could see HK
as ive been to SIN a few times now so would give HK a go!!

SQ dont have a W service on that route so you have a choice of Y J or F

I'd say VS's J service is better than SQ's as you get a bar IFB etc

If you use the search feature you'll find various TR's on SQ/VS flights including a LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD I posted last year
#73901 by Strawberry Muppet
20 Aug 2005, 19:30
The Y seat on SQ is okay for me, not bad but nothing special. I'm not tall so the 32" seat pitch is fine for me and, yes, I do prefer it over the VS Y seat. There are adjustable head wings as well. To be honest, if you're flying to Perth then SQ would be my preferred choice, only 5 hours from SIN.

MH have just unveiled their new flat (but not horizontal) bed in J but that is only available on one 747 at the moment so it is going to be some time before the whole fleet is refitted.

The Strawb
#73920 by InsertNameHere
20 Aug 2005, 23:38
If you're worried about seat pitch, then try Malaysian - their Y has 34" of leg room, the food is better than edible and the service is excellent (v. friendly). They are also a Virgin-Atlantic partner.
#73921 by declansmith
21 Aug 2005, 00:25
The DEFG seats have a more generous seat pitch than the ACHK seats on the A346. ;):D
#73991 by Jonathan
21 Aug 2005, 23:42
not flown Malaysian so cant comment on seat or service..however you'd only get 1TP per leg which is less than SQ/VS
#74541 by rwheatla
25 Aug 2005, 16:08
You could use the VS code share in MAS via KL.

You get more then if you use a MAS ticket.

I'm a regular on the LHR-KUL sector and both the Y and C products are very good.

Rob
#74626 by KenJohn
25 Aug 2005, 23:40
If you have to get to Perth and Sydney, SQ or MH will let you fly to each location to/from without doubling back Sydney. Sydney to Perth is quiet a distance so it does seem silly to double back if only to catch a connecting flight. VS only flies to Sydney so you do have to return to Sydney to get your flight back.

SQ is better for earning VS miles compared with VS - strange but very true. Still SQ is likely to be more expensive than VS. Try an agency like Trailfinders or some smaller Far East /Australia travel agents. They can have some good deals in J compared with the airline's web-site.
Virgin Atlantic