This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7478 by easygoingeezer
20 Aug 2005, 13:48
Hi guys, I thought I would share some news with you.

About a month ago I wrote to SRB to tell him my boss will be celebrating his 60th year in business and I am planning a celebration
event to mark his hard work in founding the company I now represent
and some of his charity work ( that I organise from marketing ), all I asked for was a photo or something I could read on the day of the event, its not till 2007 but a big do will take some planning.

Well this morning I gets an envelope from "Necker Island", inside was a small note on SRBs private Necker Island notepaper addressed to my boss care of me wishing him all the best and congratulations for his 60th year in business and hand signed by the man himself, even the envelope is handwritten with the same pen and handwriting.

I can't believe little old me wrote a letter from my office and my request managed to get all the way to Necker Island from the management office.

[:I]I am a little bit proud of myself, my boss will be over the moon when I read it out.:D
#73868 by buns
20 Aug 2005, 14:00
EGG

Nice one[y][y]

I can tell you are pleased as punch, so savour the moment

buns
#73869 by Decker
20 Aug 2005, 14:00
That is SO cool!!! Well played to you for being so thoughtful for your boss and a huge thumbs up to SRB for continuing to be so accessible!

Come back SRB your airline needs you ;)
#73871 by Mavrick
20 Aug 2005, 14:10
Nice one E.G.G that is soo cool and I know your boss is goona be happy [y]:D
#73872 by Decker
20 Aug 2005, 14:26
and welcome on board Mavrick!
#73877 by mitchja
20 Aug 2005, 15:12
Nice one EGG :)

[y]

Regards
#73880 by ChuckC
20 Aug 2005, 15:27
EGG,
I'm impressed! Very thoughtful gesture by you, and downright decent of SRB, I'd say.

Chuck-
#73882 by honey lamb
20 Aug 2005, 15:30
Mega-cool!
#73888 by Dave Adkins
20 Aug 2005, 17:05
Well done EGG and well done SRB[y]
#73890 by seany
20 Aug 2005, 17:19
Nice one EGG [y]:D.
#73891 by NYCFlyer
20 Aug 2005, 17:55
What a fantastic thing to do. Impressed that SRB does respond that way.

Well done
#73898 by Jonathan
20 Aug 2005, 19:05
It goes to show it never hurts to ask:D[y]
#73907 by easygoingeezer
20 Aug 2005, 20:33
Aww gee thanks guys, yes I am really pleased, just got to keep
Richards message locked away untill our event.
#73910 by JAT74L
20 Aug 2005, 21:48
E G G - Firstly, well done you for thinking of the "old man" in such a thoughtful way.

Now that I don't work for the Virgin Group anymore (my wife still does) I will share a litle insight into the "Man" and the way he is with people on a day to day basis.

It was around 1996, Virgin had just taken over the Inter-City Cross Country franchise and I was a 24 year old train drivers supervisor. I was elected to go to EDI and pick up "the (new) boss" and his collegue Will Whitehorn off a BA shuttle from LHR. I parked outside and with heart beating pretty quickly stood awaiting my passengers.

Richard had flown in from Washington that morning after visiting a VAA staff member who had been abducted, raped and held hostage for some time. Himself and Will joined me in the car and I drove them to Waverley Station.

Now, you can imagine how I felt walking alongside SRB and introducing him to my colleagues can't you? Nuff said!

After visiting our offices we then ventured back onto the road and to the new Virgin Trains call centre that SRB was going to officially open. One thing I noticed was that Will was constantly receiving phone calls asking for Richard's view on this, that and the other. One particularly persistent caller (from The Times I believe) just wouldn't take no for an answer. The big man piped up from the back seat - "Will, tell them to f*ck off!"

On driving down Princes St Richard suddenly said "pull over!" at which point he bounded across the road into the Mega Store, did a quick round of hellos and was back in the motor just before I got a ticket!

We then proceeded to the call centre where he officiated with the ceremony but, and I noticed this ALL the time I was with him he took time to talk to the people on the ground, the REAL people. He spent time with every person in that office then returned to the car to head to the (then) Virgin Hotel near the airport.

We popped in for a quick drink (Virgin Mary for SRB) and met the Hotel GM along with the current BR Inter-City GM (who was typical old school stuffy) and I was invited to join the table. Richard treated me as an equal at this table and engaged me in every subject.

He is a man who has my total respect!

Regards

John
#73911 by DavidM
20 Aug 2005, 22:25
Hey, John - that's a really nice story - respect! I've met the guy a couple of times and, without getting too "feminine side" over it, I agree with you - he is a people person and seems to enjoy doing it too. EGG's lovely story seems to bear it out.

Good luck to him

Best wishes

David
#74000 by iforres1
22 Aug 2005, 08:13
E.G.G

Nice thought from you and what a result as well. I'm sure your boss will be suitably impressed.

JAT74L

1996...24yrs old Hmmmmmmmm:D:D;)

Great little story, its these little things that makes us remember why we all appreceiate and respect Virgin.

Now where's the bangers and mash.

Iain
Virgin Atlantic