This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7529 by sstolp
23 Aug 2005, 14:29
Hi All...

In December (on the 23rd) I will be flying to Johannesburg on VS601 from Heathrow. As much as I love Virgin, I was less than impressed with the flight from Johannesburg in April due to the archaic equipment on board (particularly after flying SAA which has a superb system onboard)

Being a new user to to site (this is my first post), I'm getting lost trying to figure out which plane will be servicing my return flight.

Could any of you kind V-Flyers assist?

Thanks in advance...
#74161 by Jonathan
23 Aug 2005, 14:50
Welcome to V-Flyer, sstolp;)
If you look here you'll see you currently have a 95% chance of being on a A340-300 with the Arcadia IFE system. However Virgin have started to refit some of their 340's with the new UCS so this could change by December
#74163 by FamilyMan
23 Aug 2005, 15:09
Originally posted by Jonathan
...you currently have a 95% chance of being on a A340-300 with the Arcadia IFE system.

You have a very high chance of a A340-300 but the IFE system varies on the 343 - so you probably have a better chance of Odyssey since by then only 2 or 3 of the 7 or 8 343s will have Arcadia.

Your chances of Odyssey are further improved as 4 aircraft have more powerful engines that are favoured on the JNB route and 3 of these are Odyssey a/c. Also I would imagine the UCS a/c will also be favoured on this route and these are all Odyssey.

You do not mention which class you are flying but obviously with UCS there is a huge difference at the front. The rest of the aircraft is certainly not the best but hardly 'archaic'.

Phil (Buffy)