This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7530 by bostonbrit
23 Aug 2005, 16:25
Hey Everyone. I've been meaning to write about this for some time, but never quite got around to it. I took the world's longest commercial flight on Singapore Airlines (SQ) recently: the non-stop service from Newark (EWR) to Singapore (SIN). I was connecting in SIN on to another destination and was expecting to be able to use the oh-so-plush SQ Kriss Lounge in SIN. Being a Virgin Gold Card member, I'd read on VirginAtlantic.com that:

"Flying Club Gold members travelling on Singapore Airlines in Economy class, can use the Singapore Airlines Raffles (Business) Class check in counters and relax in either their Premier Lounge or the Raffles Class area of Silver Kris Lounges around the world."

Well, SQ wouldn't let me into the Raffles Lounge (the posh one), only the Premier Lounge (more like a service center up the UK's M1).

Very disappointing.

The other sad thing is that Virgin only credits 100% of the mileage, with no Gold bonus (which is awarded only for Virgin flights). If I'd have given one of my Star Alliance frequent flier numbers, I would have received 100% of the mileage flown, with a 100% gold-member mileage bonus. Hmmm...

And to cap it off, Virgin awards only 2 tier points for this 18.5 hour flight, even though the class of service was SQ's Executive Economy - a Premium Economy like product.

Given SQ owns 49% of Virgin and the two airlines claim to have a special relationship, all the above makes me think otherwise.
#74177 by Nottingham Nick
23 Aug 2005, 16:41
bostonbrit/

Did you query this apparent discrepancy with VS or SQ on your return?

Nick
#74179 by Jonathan
23 Aug 2005, 16:51
bostonbrit,

Vs.com actually says :
Flying Club Gold members travelling on Singapore Airlines in Economy class, can use the Singapore Airlines Raffles (Business) Class check in counters and relax in either their Premier Lounge or the Raffles Class area of Silver Kris Lounges around the world.*

The all important asterix means:
*Available in Amsterdam, Brisbane, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Osaka, London Heathrow, Melbourne, Manila, Penang, Perth, San Francisco, Sydney, Seoul, Taipei and Tokyo.

So not available in SIN - in fact SQ doesnt let in their regular golds or any *A partner's golds, so it's not that shocking VS Au's are excluded too.

In terms of Millage bonuses many *A airlines only award bonus miles on their flights UA for example wont award 100% bonus for most *A flights.
100% milage bonus awarded on qualifing flights on:
United, TedSM, United Express¨, US Airways¨, US Airways Express¨ or US Airways Shuttle¨ flights. This redeemable mileage bonus is also valid on transatlantic Lufthansa flights between the U.S. and Europe. Bonus miles are in addition to the credit you receive for the paid miles you fly, based on the origin and destination of flights.

So programs do vary.

Out of interest what *A program(s) are you in?
#74182 by Jonathan
23 Aug 2005, 16:58
Sorry I didn't comment on the SQ W tier points (or lack there of!)
SQ only offer W on that one route and I think FC hasn't changed its T&C's to reflect that; they may never whilst it's one route.

SQ can be very generous for tiers (even in Y) as you get 8 for a round trip to SYD from LHR, better than VS's 6

Unfortunately TP's are rewarded on sectors and since EWR-SIN is only one sector you only get 2TPS! (again FC hasnt been updated to reflect the duration of EWR-SIN)
#74228 by jaguarpig
23 Aug 2005, 20:32
glad this has been pointed out because I would have expected access to raffles lounge in SIN with vs au[:I]
#74235 by Jonathan
23 Aug 2005, 21:34
I agree that VS hide this in the smallprint - but the devils in the detail as they say..[}:)]
#74247 by bostonbrit
23 Aug 2005, 22:27
I'd just say - it's not clear from the web site asterix whether this applies to the lounge access or check-in. For what it's worth, I was able to use Raffles Class check-in and gained access to the Premier Lounge. Anyway, worth noting..

Originally posted by Jonathan
bostonbrit,

Vs.com actually says :
Flying Club Gold members travelling on Singapore Airlines in Economy class, can use the Singapore Airlines Raffles (Business) Class check in counters and relax in either their Premier Lounge or the Raffles Class area of Silver Kris Lounges around the world.*

The all important asterix means:
*Available in Amsterdam, Brisbane, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Osaka, London Heathrow, Melbourne, Manila, Penang, Perth, San Francisco, Sydney, Seoul, Taipei and Tokyo.

So not available in SIN - in fact SQ doesnt let in their regular golds or any *A partner's golds, so it's not that shocking VS Au's are excluded too.

In terms of Millage bonuses many *A airlines only award bonus miles on their flights UA for example wont award 100% bonus for most *A flights.
100% milage bonus awarded on qualifing flights on:
United, TedSM, United Express¨, US Airways¨, US Airways Express¨ or US Airways Shuttle¨ flights. This redeemable mileage bonus is also valid on transatlantic Lufthansa flights between the U.S. and Europe. Bonus miles are in addition to the credit you receive for the paid miles you fly, based on the origin and destination of flights.

So programs do vary.

Out of interest what *A program(s) are you in?
#74251 by mitchja
23 Aug 2005, 22:35
The whole ssection regarding Au benefits on SQ needs re-wording as I still am not able to get my head around the section that reads, and I quote:

If you're travelling in Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic, you can access Singapore Airlines' Raffles Class area of the Silver Kris Lounge located in Singapore Changi Airport at terminal 2....

If your travelling in Upper Class on VS you are not going to be any where near Singapore so how can you use the lounge at SIN [?] [?]

Regards
#74264 by anteo
23 Aug 2005, 23:24
Through a codeshare? But if you're flying J shouldnt you get in anyway- hardly a gold benefit!
#74334 by Jonathan
24 Aug 2005, 10:34
To Clarify:
you can use the good lounge (raffles not F) if flying UC from SIN (it'll be raffles anyway on an a SQ codeshare)

But you can use the Raffles checkin anywhere (Well ive used it at KUL/SIN without issue) even though the * denotes otherwise

Intrestingly the SQ lounges you can use with VS AU do not allow a guest - this is odd considering *A AU does..(the only reason I status matched this year)

I think SQ dont really care where you check in but do restrict access to their flagship lounge in SIN

As SIN is their main hub the lounge is busy with their F/Js anyway so I can see why they ristrict *A/VS access

The only way you can get into SQ's big SIN lounge (without J/F ticket) it to be a solataire PPS member and to get that you need to fly a lot with SQ!
Virgin Atlantic