This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#74317 by Wolves27
24 Aug 2005, 08:48
They could always make the Crazy Frog a boarding tune aswell...

(and put drawing pins on all the seats) :)

Dean
#74318 by BlackCat
24 Aug 2005, 09:01
This is not legal. An unsolicited text message, even if it is asking whether you want to view an ad, is still an unsolicited text message.

Actually, reading here shows that the technique is using Bluejacking. I don't think this differs in any way from providing an unsolicited message -- it just happens to be via a fake Bluetooth contact.

Lousy spammers always say things like "you can always opt out". The point is that all current legislation requires you to opt-in actively, not by being sent marketing messages saying "would you like us to continue spamming you"!

In any case, having Bluetooth turned on all the time is rather daft if you don't need it: it drains power and is a security risk. Still, I may punt this one to the Information Commissioner and see what they have to say about it.

BC
#74320 by BlackCat
24 Aug 2005, 09:44
As an addendum, the guidance to the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 clearly state that Bluetooth spam messages are treated under the legislation in exactly the same way as email. I've requested clarification from the ICO.

BC
#74322 by Decker
24 Aug 2005, 09:53
Interesting - I keep getting unsolicited text messages claiming to be "Service Messages" offering me free ring tones. I assumed that they showed up as Service Messages because they were free?
#74331 by p17blo
24 Aug 2005, 10:26
Originally posted by http://www.thestate.com
....aimed at passengers in VirginÕs first-class lounge...

Umm, so when have Virgin started having a First Class cabin and when did they open a First Class Lounge?[8D]

Paul
#74342 by BlackCat
24 Aug 2005, 11:19
Originally posted by Decker
Interesting - I keep getting unsolicited text messages claiming to be "Service Messages" offering me free ring tones. I assumed that they showed up as Service Messages because they were free?

They may be WAP Push messages; you can usually stop accepting these by changing a setting on the phone. However, whatever the type of message if they are unsolicited then they contravene the legislation, and a stiffly worded letter or email usually stops them. If they persist, report them to the ICO and they will stop them.

Given the legislation it makes sense to complain. We don't want mobile phones suffering from the same spam levels as email!

BC
#74392 by PatDavies
24 Aug 2005, 17:07
Smacks of Minority Report where the advertising holograms become person specific.
#74419 by kkempton
24 Aug 2005, 19:49
What a stupid idea. I wonder if im immune to it because my GX15 requires a pin code for all bluetooth connections. (Fingers Crossed)
#74423 by preiffer
24 Aug 2005, 20:00
Well, according to the article in BC's post, at least we know who to complain to when our phones fill up with junk:

' "I think it's done very well because it enables the customers [to choose]. It doesn't force it on them," says Charles Vine, manager of Virgin Atlantic's airport lounges '[}:)]
#74475 by InsertNameHere
25 Aug 2005, 01:13
Shouldn't some high-powered gold flying club card holder write to Virgin to tell them that their UC pax are perfectly capable of realizing whether or not they want a Range Rover and that such a decision is unlikely to be influenced by a bluejacked ad? More importantly, it can't be good for VA's goodwill to be spamming their premium pax whist they are in their own clubhouse!
Virgin Atlantic