This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7572 by Derrico
25 Aug 2005, 05:50
I recently booked an award ticket with CO miles on Virgin UC this coming spring. I really did not know much about Virgin, other than a friend said they heard they were at least as good as CO's BizFirst.

Now I have been looking around here a bit and I am quite stunned. What a cool airline! The UCS suites have me really excited. Quite a neat concept. Same with the bar. Anyway my question is twofold. I notice that people are using Virgin's website to sign up for clubhouse beauty treatments and other things. The bronze cow thing in LHR sounds kind of cool.. (do they have that in SFO?) Can I access the clubhouse stuff by signing up for a Virgin FF account, or since I am non-rev/non-ff, are they not possible for me to preassign?

The other question was 9a, 10a on the SFO-LHR 744 good seats? I know it is subjective and I looked at the V-flyer seating guide. I picked these since we only wanted to sleep a little bit and stay up to enjoy the bar and the food. (and the UCS feeling, since we almost always fly cattle class on international flights) I assume this is a good call. I hate hot planes, and I heard the snooze zone on the 744 is kind of hot up there.

Thanks for the advice! :D

-excited Virgin newb.. (lol sounds like I am repeating myself)
#74495 by Bazz
25 Aug 2005, 10:16
Hi Derrico and welcome aboard.

I will let one of my more informed colleagues deal with your first question but in answer to your second question, 9A & 10A on the LHR 744 are great seats, that is a good choice and I am sure you will enjoy your flight.
#74498 by preiffer
25 Aug 2005, 10:27
Hmm... To put my personal perspective (and I stress the "personal" bit), I've never been a fan of 9/10/11. They're too close to the IFBT area.

All it takes is an over-eager IFBT, with a liking for massage, and the thumping on people's backs can ruin an otherwise good-night's sleep.

Like I say, just a personal view...
#74534 by ChuckC
25 Aug 2005, 15:07
Derrico,

Regarding clubhouse access I believe that any ticketed UC pax is welcome. I have flown UC using a partner award from Delta Airlines and entered UC without difficulty.

As my colleagues have oft said about seating in the "pointy bit", there are no bad seats in Upper Class. Everyone does seem to have a preference, however. There has been ongoing discussion about cabin temperatures; if you are uncomfortable on your flight, you should speak with the FSM or an FA. If you prefer to "party hardy" at the bar during your flight I would not recommend sitting in the snooze zone, which is the upper deck.

Hope that you enjoy your flight.

Chuck-
#74536 by fozzyo
25 Aug 2005, 15:13
Also make sure on your trip to LHR you make full use of the Revivals lounge after landing - you can get a fantastic shave here and shower while they press your clothes for you!

They don't have a spa in the SFO clubhouse. But that was voted the best clubhouse in this year's V-Flyer awards!

Don't worry about being excited ... our first UC flight was SFO -> LHR and we we very excited! The suite really is fantastic, and the crew amazing.

If you are flying as a couple you may like to look at seats 7a and k - facing each other but still in talking distance.

Foz xxx
#74542 by philadam
25 Aug 2005, 16:09
Also make sure on your trip to LHR you make full use of the Revivals lounge after landing - you can get a fantastic shave here and shower while they press your clothes for you!

I didn't think Revivals was available to award passengers. Perhaps someone can confirm this as I have friends travelling using Delta awards and they were told by Virgin that they couldn't use Revivals.

Phil
#74545 by fozzyo
25 Aug 2005, 16:16
Oops - please someone correct me if I an wrong! I've never tried it, but went with the you have a UC Boarding Pass or Gold Card theory for entry.

Foz xxx
#74548 by stevendq
25 Aug 2005, 16:38
Originally posted by fozzyo
Oops - please someone correct me if I an wrong! I've never tried it, but went with the you have a UC Boarding Pass or Gold Card theory for entry.

Foz xxx

The only situation I can think of thats CO related to not let you use the revivals is if your booked on a VS Codeshare with CO. So a VS plane but a CO prefixed ticket, in which case CO have different arrangements.

So, assuming your reward flight has put you on a VS prefixed flight and not a CO one, then yes you can use revivals.. I think... (non committal there!).
#74553 by philadam
25 Aug 2005, 16:51
fozzyo, I was going with the same thought process as you when I told friends they could look forward to using Revivals after their flight from IAD until they told me a check with Virgin had confirmed it not to be the case[:I] Anyone know for sure? I'd like to give them good news.

Phil
#74558 by BlackCat
25 Aug 2005, 17:03
It certainly used to be the case that pax on the CO codeshare couldn't use Revivals; instead the Air Canada Arrivals lounge was available. I don't know if this is still the case; it's worth checking with Continental if you have a ticket on a CO flight.

BC
#74564 by fozzyo
25 Aug 2005, 17:21
Reward tickets for UC are in fare class G - according to LRoM's guide:

ticket in this class will allow you to utilise the Clubhouse/Shared lounge on your journey for you and one guest flying with you. No chauffeur driven car transfers on any route on this fare.

So still non the wiser really. [:(]
#74577 by preiffer
25 Aug 2005, 18:05
Revivals access is limited to reward/revenue passengers travelling on a VS Prefixed ticket, along with Gold card holders (but no guests).

If your ticket is prefixed with a "CO" flight number, you will not have access to the arrivals lounge after landing @ LHR.

Op-Ups are not allowed access either. (not sure about paid airport upgrades though, I have a feeling that still provides access).
#74608 by stevendq
25 Aug 2005, 21:32
Originally posted by preiffer
Revivals access is limited to reward/revenue passengers travelling on a VS Prefixed ticket, along with Gold card holders (but no guests).

If your ticket is prefixed with a "CO" flight number, you will not have access to the arrivals lounge after landing @ LHR.

Op-Ups are not allowed access either. (not sure about paid airport upgrades though, I have a feeling that still provides access).

Paid airport upgrades does give revivals access, i've got in a couple of times after upgrading this way.
#74649 by Derrico
26 Aug 2005, 02:27
Thanks for the advice everyone.. I will write a nice trip report when I come back. :D

I guess it looks from what I have read, I will be using the Air Canada lounge in LHR, unless Virgin just happens to give me access to revivals. Air Canada's lounge sounds ok, I mean they just have showers right? A nice shower sounds great after a long flight.. I am not too picky.

I have a few hours in LHR prior to my AZ flight to Milan. Will I be able to walk into the new Virgin lhr clubhouse just to take a look, or am I shut out since my primary Virgin flight is over? Just wondered.
#74657 by preiffer
26 Aug 2005, 05:46
Originally posted by Derrico
Air Canada's lounge sounds ok, I mean they just have showers right? A nice shower sounds great after a long flight.. I am not too picky.
The AC lounge is fine - I use it quite a bit.

Not much in the way of food (cereals, bread, yoghurt, juice & that's about it). There are a few shower rooms (toilet, shower, sink etc) and I've never had to wait for one.

The sitting area is pretty small, only about 20 seats - but is enough to make you feel a lot better after a long flight.
#74668 by Bazz
26 Aug 2005, 10:35
Originally posted by Derrico
...I have a few hours in LHR prior to my AZ flight to Milan. Will I be able to walk into the new Virgin lhr clubhouse just to take a look, or am I shut out since my primary Virgin flight is over? Just wondered.

The VS Clubhouses are departure lounges not arrivals and they do not allow arriving or transfer pax in (there have been exceptions but these are rare). However, if you ask nicely at reception explaining you have just arrived on VS and are wowed by the airline and would they mind if you had a peak, perhaps even mention V-Flyer and the pics looking so exciting I am sure you will have a good chance of having a quick look around. Make sure you have your ticket stub and your passport with you.

Good luck.
Virgin Atlantic