This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7612 by jonmm66
27 Aug 2005, 00:15
I am travelling LHR to IAD in November in EC with VH. I realise that my ticket won't be upgradeable as it is, but i have seen mention on this site of using some of my FC miles to upgrade to PE at check-in.

Can anyone help me with the following:

Is this possible?
How many miles would it cost?
If I do the online check in before arriving at the airport am I reducing my chance of being able to get an upgrade?

many thanks
#74847 by webdes03
27 Aug 2005, 00:53
What fare class is your VH ticket booked in? X class tickets are not upgradable by miles, and my gut would tell me that VH would have it booked in X.

I believe the redemption is 20,000 miles per segment EC-PE.

If its something you really want to do, I personally wouldn't wait until day of departure, call the FC number and they should be able to set you up.
#74851 by Virgin Lover
27 Aug 2005, 01:02
Hi,

Virgin holidays books its economy tickets in fare class V which is specific to VH. You cannot (in theory!) upgrade these tickets with miles. It is also not possible (again in theory) to upgrade these tickets in advance with cash, except through VH. I have called flying club before with a V class seat and they phoned VH to check the upgrade cost and availability (it is complicated as VH have allocations of upgradable seats etc.) .

Your best bet is to call VH and ask the price. If you do not want to pay this then you only other real option is to wait until the airport and then ask at the ticket desk before you join the check in line and see what they can do for you (they might offer a better deal or none at all, bit of a lottery).

This has been discussed a lot on here, do a quick search and you may find better advice.

Hope this helps.

Neil.
#74877 by mcuth
27 Aug 2005, 12:22
Originally posted by webdes03
I believe the redemption is 20,000 miles per segment EC-PE.

It's 20,000 miles EC-PE for a return trip - 10k miles per segment - listing here :)

Cheers

Michael
#75108 by bostonbrit
29 Aug 2005, 17:54
Yes, 10,000 each way from E to P/E. If you fare class doesn't allow the upgrade, it's still worth asking at the airport. Sometimes they'll allow it if there's space available.
Virgin Atlantic