This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7618 by chaffordred
27 Aug 2005, 15:35
Hi, do you need to present every page of your e ticket at check-in?

Apparantly every passenger should have their own copy of their e ticket, which is about 9 pages long and there are three of us travelling. Does this mean I have to print off the full 27 pages, as I am sure I read somewhere that someone had trouble at check-in because they didn't have the full print-out[?]

Cheers
#74911 by sunny
27 Aug 2005, 15:45
Hi chaffordred,

I can't answer your question directly but I can say that every time I have flown on an e-ticket I have just printed out the lot on cheap paper. However at check-in, I have noticed that staff do not go through every single sheet only the first one with the main info as the others are T&C's.

Max
#74912 by Decker
27 Aug 2005, 15:55
Well, the VS Site, under What Documents will I need says "E-ticket receipt or paper ticket containing your booking reference number" so I'd say just the first page was fine. FAA rules dictate that

Proper documentation is:

* A printed copy of an E-Ticket receipt;
* A printed copy of a confirmation e-mail; or
* A printed airline or travel agency itinerary confirming an E-ticket. .
#74916 by VS-EWR
27 Aug 2005, 16:17
You don't need a seperate copy of the E ticket for each person. It would be pretty pointless since each one would say the same thing. The 1 E ticket has the book references and info for each passenger. To be safe just print the whole entire thing instead of risking it.
#74917 by honey lamb
27 Aug 2005, 16:49
The important thing is to have the pages with your booking reference, route and the names of the passengers.

E-ticket receipt or paper ticket containing your booking reference number" so I'd say just the first page was fine.

Each time I used an eticket I merely printed off the first page of the email and it sufficed until I went to MCO in July. I had done as usual and printed off the first page but the lady at security was looking also for the second page which would have my name on it. I couldn't understand why the first page was no longer sufficient until I compared it with an earlier eticket. VS had inserted a new paragraph about check-in closing times which had effectively pushed my name on to page two.

Incidentally to resolve it she took my booking reference and had the ticket desk print out a couple of vouchers, similar to the flight coupons on a paper ticket
#74931 by andrew.m.wright
27 Aug 2005, 19:39
Ditto what Honey Lamb has said - In fact I was asked for all 9 pages at Orlando in March at security.

I know it's a pain but better to be safe than sorry !

The flip side is that when I flew JetBlue to Boston from Orlando they just asked for a form of ID, and didn't ask for the E Ticket !
#74937 by infrequentflyer
27 Aug 2005, 20:34
Last time I was at lgw and mco I had used olci and wasn't asked for my e-ticket just my passport. I had however got all of the pages with me better safe than sorry as my mother frequently tells me[:I]
#74939 by DavidM
27 Aug 2005, 20:47
I can't remember ever taking the email with me - I've generally only carried the one page fax from our corporate Travel Agent, which includes date, flight, booking reference and passenger ID. And on a couple of occasions, when I've lost that paper in my briefcase/baggage, i've just shown the email/outlook appointment I get from my secretary (again, including booking reference) on my ipaq. I've never had a problem getting through, or been held up in any way.

Best wishes

David
#74943 by seany
27 Aug 2005, 21:07
I have always had my e-ticket with me but not once have I ever been asked for it at check-in (is that strange?). But i will still always keep taking it to make sure.
#74987 by Jonathan
28 Aug 2005, 12:34
I generally take all of it as you've usually got a load of other stuff anyway like cir hire hotel etc...

That being said I once took no paper at all just showed them the fax from my nokia communicator:D
#75004 by shawty2
28 Aug 2005, 16:21
Haven't yet flown VA with e ticket 1st time in October. But when flying other airlines they just wanted 1 e ticket and passport of lead passenger.
#75005 by AlanA
28 Aug 2005, 17:09
If you print on both side its only 4 1/2 pages per passenger?
#75009 by preiffer
28 Aug 2005, 18:55
Well, recently (last 2/3 trips) I've not even printed out my e-Ticket.

Instead, I've had the printout of the "Update my booking" page of va.com. It fits on one page (just 1 useless sentence gets chopped off on the other side of the paper) and I've not had one person even look at it funny, let alone question it.

And that's in both the UK & US. All the details they need are on that page - booking ref, passenger names, flight details.
#75015 by p17blo
28 Aug 2005, 20:22
OK, the rules for e-tickets state that you must have a copy for each passenger checking in separately. I have travelled with an e-ticket with VS for the last, well its got to be 5 years. I have never been asked for any more than the first page, or if a lot of passengers are on the same e-ticket and the names spill on to page 2 then the first 2 pages. e-tickets contain on 1 real piece of info and that is the ticket/booking numbers.

Paul
#75106 by bostonbrit
29 Aug 2005, 17:48
Originally posted by chaffordred
Hi, do you need to present every page of your e ticket at check-in?

Apparantly every passenger should have their own copy of their e ticket, which is about 9 pages long and there are three of us travelling. Does this mean I have to print off the full 27 pages, as I am sure I read somewhere that someone had trouble at check-in because they didn't have the full print-out[?]

Cheers

I always travel with just the first page - with the booking reference and the itinerary. I've never had a problem with this.
#75137 by sky
29 Aug 2005, 23:41
Wow,

I have never ever printed a e-ticket. This is partly because I hate printers and refuse to deal with them, partly because the thought has never occured to me. I just write down the reference number or have it in my laptop/pda and I have never once had trouble with it.

I have printed my own boarding pass a couple of times, but again I usually just check in online usually and then get the machine to print it to me at the airport.

Cheers
sky
#75139 by mcuth
30 Aug 2005, 00:04
Originally posted by chaffordred
which is about 9 pages long

9 pages? What are you printing on, A5? ;) I've got my eTickets printed right here for my upcoming trips, and none of them are longer than 5 A4 pages :)

Anyhoo, even if it looks like ps1&2 are the only ones required, I always print the whole thing to take with me. I like to have all the pages, "just in case" - knowing my luck, the one time I'd need the rest of the pages (whether at check-in/immigration, whatever) is the time that they'd be required *sigh*

Cheers

Michael
#75213 by webdes03
30 Aug 2005, 19:54
Depending on the email program you use and how it formats your confirmation email, it is quite possible that your confirmation could print on 5-9 pages.

You'll notice that the bulk of the confirmation is simply terms and agreements related to your ticket. The really important bit is the top quarter or so, which has your booking referance, referred to as a record locator by those of us on the other side of the counter, and your eticket number (the long numerical number starting with the 3 digit numerical airline ID).

The eticket itself is completely electronic and stored in the airline's computer system. What sometimes can happen is that within the computer system, the eticket becomes "unhooked" from the passenger PNR. When that happens, it is necessary to locate it within the computer and rehook. The easiest way to locate a unhooked eticket is with the ticket number.

By asking you to bring this, it gives them a quick way to fix most minor issues that may arrise within the passenger record. I personally have never been asked to present my printout, although I always have it.

As anyone could obtain one of these printouts, or duplicate an old one, it isn't used for identification purposes... thats what the passport is for.

Edit- Added:
As for the original poster... just because there is 3 of you traveling doesn't mean it is 9 pages x 3 people. If your confirmation is from VS, they simply put on page 1 or 2, all of the passenger names, as they have no reason to send you 3 copies of the contract of carriage, as it is the same for all of you.

For those of you who don't print it out, I would recommend writing down your eticker number in addition to the booking referance. You never know when you might need it.
#75230 by onionz
30 Aug 2005, 21:35
And on the subject of e-tickets...

Just booked 4 of us to go to Orlando, and i'm coming back 2 days earlier so i'm on my own PNR. Because of this, whereas the other 3 have an e-ticket, my booking confirmation said a paper ticket will be sent to the cardholder's address - no doubt for security reasons because the cardholder isn't the person travelling on my PNR.

Not seen a paper VS ticket in ages. And it had better look nice because it appears to have cost £15 [}:)][B)]
#75256 by webdes03
31 Aug 2005, 02:37
Originally posted by onionz
And on the subject of e-tickets...

Just booked 4 of us to go to Orlando, and i'm coming back 2 days earlier so i'm on my own PNR. Because of this, whereas the other 3 have an e-ticket, my booking confirmation said a paper ticket will be sent to the cardholder's address - no doubt for security reasons because the cardholder isn't the person travelling on my PNR.

Not seen a paper VS ticket in ages. And it had better look nice because it appears to have cost £15 [}:)][B)]

Did your confirmation actually say paper ticket fee? A lot of airlines do charge a fee for issuing paper tickets, but it could also be a slight change in fare between the two days...

I assume they will be printed on standard green stock, or on the cool looking purple, yellow and blue IATA stock...

Odd though, I wonder why they didn't just eticket you also... being in your own PNR doesn't mean you have to be paper ticketed... thats odd...
#75326 by sky0000547
31 Aug 2005, 14:57
So e-ticket is supposed to be the future of air travelling but printing 5-9 pages of A4, no thanks give me the normal paper ticket which is thin and small.
#75329 by VS045
31 Aug 2005, 15:14
Anyhoo, even if it looks like ps1&2 are the only ones required, I always print the whole thing to take with me. I like to have all the pages, "just in case" - knowing my luck, the one time I'd need the rest of the pages (whether at check-in/immigration, whatever) is the time that they'd be required *sigh*

Cheers

Michael

I guess sod's law dictates your life as well then;)

Anyway, it's e-tickets for me!

Cheers,
VS045
#75330 by webdes03
31 Aug 2005, 15:19
Originally posted by sky0000547
So e-ticket is supposed to be the future of air travelling but printing 5-9 pages of A4, no thanks give me the normal paper ticket which is thin and small.

The problem with that philosophy is that paper tickets are a pain in the a** to change... etickets, you just modify the PNR, run a reprise engine and revalidate the segments (the whole process takes several minutes)- as opposed to reissuing new coupons.
#75372 by onionz
31 Aug 2005, 19:42
Originally posted by webdes03

Did your confirmation actually say paper ticket fee? A lot of airlines do charge a fee for issuing paper tickets, but it could also be a slight change in fare between the two days...

I assume they will be printed on standard green stock, or on the cool looking purple, yellow and blue IATA stock...

Odd though, I wonder why they didn't just eticket you also... being in your own PNR doesn't mean you have to be paper ticketed... thats odd...

I think the reason is this bit:

the cardholder isn't the person travelling on my PNR

i.e. I am the sole traveller in that PNR and it wasn't me that paid for the ticket.

In the confirmation, the fare part is £15 more, rather than the "taxes, fees, surcharges.." part. Not sure if this means it is just a fare difference or whether it's extra for the paper ticket.

At least I won't have to worry about the 9 pages of A4 this time! ;)
#75462 by mcuth
01 Sep 2005, 02:05
Originally posted by VS045
I guess sod's law dictates your life as well then;)

Yes, the law of the Sod is indeed alive and well in my little world ;)

Cheers

Michael
Virgin Atlantic