This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#7935 by andrew.m.wright
15 Sep 2005, 14:27
I'm interested to know if people are going to be in the same situation as I am regarding travel to the U.S.A. over the coming 12 months.

Let me say that I'm fully behind security and Biometrics etc, and it's my understanding that any passport issued in a Visa Waiver Country after October the 20th must contain Biometics or you'll need to apply for a seperate Visa.

It's also my understanding that the UK will start issuing these passports between January, and July 2006. My Passport expires next August leaving me in somewhat of a difficult situation in the fact that I may have to apply for a Visa if the UK programme slips.

So here's the question - What are the likely affects on Virgin's business to popular destinations like Miami & Orlando ?

Do we think that say an average "Bucket & Spade" family of 4 renewing their passports after October the 20th are going to go through the Visa routine, or take the easy option of a different destination ?

Applying for a Visa used to involve paying a fee at a Barclays Bank, then waiting for it to clear, then an appointment in London. That was my experience when I had to have a work visa.

Really like to know what people think ?
#77141 by freeway
15 Sep 2005, 15:32
Its Oct 26 2006 that you'll need a biometric E passport.
#77144 by freeway
15 Sep 2005, 15:47
A handy little guide is here

{preiffer - edited to shorten link}
#77152 by andrew.m.wright
15 Sep 2005, 16:14
Guy's

Thanks for the info - Am I right in assuming that all UK passports currently being issued contain a digital picture ?
#77153 by preiffer
15 Sep 2005, 16:16
Originally posted by andrew.m.wright
Thanks for the info - Am I right in assuming that all UK passports currently being issued contain a digital picture ?
Yes, they do, and have done for several years. Just no chip yet...
#77185 by jaguarpig
15 Sep 2005, 20:53
Should think it will catch a lot of people out and cost the USA and a lot of airlines business from the mickey mouse crowd.
#77189 by andrew.m.wright
15 Sep 2005, 21:19
As will the fact that soon your address for your 1st night in the USA will be required prior to the departure from the UK, and not on arrival on the Green or White Visa Form

See the Virgin Atlantic web site under passenger information which starts in October.
#77191 by preiffer
15 Sep 2005, 21:25
Originally posted by andrew.m.wright
One wonders what will happen if your on a Fly Drive ?
They cover this specifically in their FAQ section ;)

If you are taking a fly-drive holiday

You should provide the name and location of the car hire company and your first intended stopping point.
#77319 by PatDavies
16 Sep 2005, 18:00
As will the fact that soon your address for your 1st night in the USA will be required prior to the departure from the UK, and not on arrival on the Green or White Visa Form

In fact, you will still need to provide it on the visa waiver form - this requirement does not change
Virgin Atlantic