This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8033 by mikesmith
23 Sep 2005, 12:49
I wondered if anyone had come across this rule.

I have a premium economy ticket (S class) to New York and I called to make a reservation for my wife using my companion ticket that I received by renewing my Gold membership this year.
However, I was told that to use this companion ticket, the main ticket has to be made in W class (if travelling in PE).
I always thought that S class was a qualifying fare for companion tickets and this seems to be stated clearly in the terms & conditions para 4.3.9.

Apparently, S Class is only valid if the companion ticket is purchased using flying club miles and not when the companion ticket is obtained when renewing gold membership.

Has anyone else experienced this rule?

Thanks

Mike
#78092 by Decker
23 Sep 2005, 12:55
Originally posted by mikesmith

I wondered if anyone had come across this rule.

I have a premium economy ticket (S class) to New York and I called to make a reservation for my wife using my companion ticket that I received by renewing my Gold membership this year.
However, I was told that to use this companion ticket, the main ticket has to be made in W class (if travelling in PE).
I always thought that S class was a qualifying fare for companion tickets and this seems to be stated clearly in the terms & conditions para 4.3.9.

Apparently, S Class is only valid if the companion ticket is purchased using flying club miles and not when the companion ticket is obtained when renewing gold membership.

Has anyone else experienced this rule?

Thanks

Mike

I have used my Au companion ticket to book 2xS before (in fact for the upcoming Vegas V-Flyer get together) so I think you are being misinformed.
#78098 by FamilyMan
23 Sep 2005, 13:45
I have to say that this is not how I am reading it Mike.

The Gold Benefits page has a direct link to the standard T&Cs for the free companion ticket and as you have already said the T&Cs speak for themselves.

I used my companion ticket in Y but there was no difference to the qualifying L class required.

Suggest you escalate it.

Phil (Buffy)
#78100 by p17blo
23 Sep 2005, 13:57
This is true for Upper. Ticket has to be J (not D or Z) to allow the use of companion renewal voucher

Paul
#78105 by mikesmith
23 Sep 2005, 14:14
Thanks for all your responses - I don't feel like I am losing my mind anymore.

I have called flying club again since my original post and spoke to a different person and she made no mention of there being a problem with my fare class.

Unfortunately, I still have not made the companion ticket reservations because of difficulty in obtaining reward flight availability so I am going to reschedule my original trip.

Paul, I was aware of the J class restriction but I believe that this is true regardless of how one obtains their companion ticket. The information I received originally was that there were differences in the rules depending upon how the companion ticket is obtained - bizarre.

Thanks again

Mike
#79047 by RichardMannion
30 Sep 2005, 07:54
To clarify, FC Au Companion renewal vouchers and VS CC companion vouchers are exactly the same as normal companion rewards with one exception, which is in regards to the SYD route. An Au or VS CC companion voucher can be used in whole for a companion seat for both sectors, where as for miles, you have to pay double the normal rate due to the two sectors.

Thanks,
Richard
Virgin Atlantic