This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8079 by slinky09
26 Sep 2005, 22:19
The no. 1 says today that on the radio someone said that if you were in economy and took your own (fine) wine on board to have with the meal, if you asked the crew nicely they'd let you drink it. Seemed like a recipe for potential chaos to me, but does anyone know if this is true? I know you can prebook champagne, which is sort of similar, but you're certainly not allowed to guzzle the duty free are you.
#78564 by Jetstreamer
26 Sep 2005, 22:40
VS rules do not allow passengers to consume their own alcohol onboard.
#78577 by Howard Long
27 Sep 2005, 00:16
Originally posted by slinky09
The no. 1 says today that on the radio someone said that if you were in economy and took your own (fine) wine on board to have with the meal, if you asked the crew nicely they'd let you drink it. Seemed like a recipe for potential chaos to me, but does anyone know if this is true? I know you can prebook champagne, which is sort of similar, but you're certainly not allowed to guzzle the duty free are you.

I did this in October last year on a flight to Dulles although this was in UC.

They haven't done desert wine in UC for quite some time, but I like it. When I asked, I specifically stressed that I quite understood if it was not possible. They went off to ask someone. The next thing I knew, there was a foil cutter and corkscrew. I was a little surprised to be trusted with the corkscrew... ;-)

I've done a similar thing on AA in FC where the wine list is awful, certainly compared to this awesome 1990 Chateau d'Yquem and indifferent 1997 Pichon Baron...

I've yet to be turned down, but then I don't do it all that often. It is certainly not recommended to start slurping your own booze without the crew serving it, or else they won't be able to check on your grog intake.

Cheers, Howard
#78584 by slinky09
27 Sep 2005, 07:58
Great respect to your for your wine selection. I have a few remaining bottles of 1982 Chateau Lynch Bages and if you're ever on the same flight I'll try to match up!
#78592 by easygoingeezer
27 Sep 2005, 09:39
somebody likes there puddings don't they;)
#78594 by Littlejohn
27 Sep 2005, 10:04
I am sure that taking your own grog is against the rule. However I have always believed in a healthy disrespect of rules[8D]. In this case, VS are so stingy with the bottle in Y that I have always, but always, taken along a couple of the little 25CL bottles. Obviously I am discrete, but not secretive, and have not had a problem.

To be frank, there is no way on this good earth that I am spending 12 hours in a seat that is not wide enough for my bum to fit comfortably in, with my knees wedged into the seat in front and my ankles being cramped by the IFE box below the seat in front, with out having a little drinkies or six.

(hic!)
#78596 by easygoingeezer
27 Sep 2005, 10:31
trapped and typsy huh, I will look out for you, lol.

Can't you order those baby bottles of moet? Yes I know moet is
like dishwater compared to DP or LP but its got bubbles and alcohol in it.:D
#78606 by Littlejohn
27 Sep 2005, 12:16
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
trapped and typsy huh, I will look out for you, lol.

Not that trapped or typsy;) Besides,if I am in Y, I usually have the Rear Admiral to protect me - She's a strong girl!
#78607 by philadam
27 Sep 2005, 12:21
Howard, those pictures have made me feel very hungry (and thirsty[:p]), but don't you think at 14 years old you are a bit young to be imbibing? You are a very naughty boy;)

Phil
#78608 by jaguarpig
27 Sep 2005, 12:26
1990 Chateau d'Yquem

wow that was an expensive lunch[:0]the Pichon Baron is one of my favorites I have a case of 1990 tucked away.BA load a couple of half bottles of drinkable desert wine in First, I finished both bottles on the outbound but only one on the inbound, but the nice purser gave me other one to take with me.:D
Virgin Atlantic