This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8153 by Danno
29 Sep 2005, 21:59
Just been reading about people seated in rows 6 n 7 in UC on the 747, and the lack of over head storage.

I am off to Orlando soon (woooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo), and have booked the front 2 rows (6 n 7).

I wondered if there was anywhere for us to store our stuff as we are flying with 2 kids, and will have LOTS of stuff to stow to keep the kids happy during the flights.

Is it, first come, first served? Or is there a protocol to follow???

Last thing I want is a bun fight with someone who gets upset because we stored stuff above them!

Any tips or advise anyone can offer would be great!

Thanks

Dann:D
#78996 by AlanA
29 Sep 2005, 22:01
Yes, get on first, put the kids in the overheads abouve 8 & 9 and guard the lockers with your life :D
Its dog eat dog on the lockers front
#78999 by BlackCat
29 Sep 2005, 22:43
This is one area where there really isn't a protocol, and it does illustrate one of the few downsides of the zone A UCS cabin.

Since the UCS seats face into the aisle, someone opening the bin (and the seats are aligned directly with the bins) above your seat is going to cause rather more intrusion than than in the old side-by-side configuration. This is particularly so during mealtimes and overnight, especially if people are lugging large items out of the bin or slamming it shut.

I would suggest that you put a small amount of your stuff in the bins above 8A and 8K, taking up no more than half the bin on each side to allow people in these seats some storage space. The cabin crew should be happy to store the rest of your things, and retrieve them when needed.

BC
#79013 by jilly
29 Sep 2005, 23:39
I've never come across this problem when travelling in these seats - unfortunately I can't reach the overhead storage lockers because I'm not tall enough;)

Seriously though, if you ask staff to store the things you may need during take off they will be happy to return them to you once seat belts signs are off. The handy shelf in front of 6A and B can then be used for necessities.

Jilly
#79034 by Littlejohn
30 Sep 2005, 06:15
Originally posted by AlanA
Yes, get on first, put the kids in the overheads abouve 8 & 9

Being heavy items, is it not safer to put them under the seat in front of you?

#79041 by RichardMannion
30 Sep 2005, 07:20
It can work well, its just when people inissit on bringing all of their crap with them on the plane. The amount of times I have seen some of my American colelagues try and put their 'luggage' in an overhead locker. Groundstaff have got better though and are weeding out those that insist on trying to take stacks of luggage onboard, and the tantrums that have been witnessed by me.

And as a side note, having things stored in the other closets on a A346 in UCS can be interesting, instead of putting normal mechanical locks ont eh doors, no Airbus put these fancy electrical locks based on touch sensitive pads that have a naughty habit of playing up. There is a manual over ride fiddle device that has some 'coathanger' like attributes, but that can be jsut as much fun - on a flight to SA last year, me and the lovely FA spent a good 30 minutes fiddling with the 'coathanger' trying to open the closet.

Thanks,
Richard
#79053 by AlanA
30 Sep 2005, 09:08
Originally posted by sailor99
Originally posted by AlanA
Yes, get on first, put the kids in the overheads abouve 8 & 9

Being heavy items, is it not safer to put them under the seat in front of you?

No, that's where the valuables go, like the digital camera and jack Daniels bottle [:o)]
#79106 by Danno
30 Sep 2005, 15:48
Thanks Everyone

Originally posted by jilly

Seriously though, if you ask staff to store the things you may need during take off they will be happy to return them to you once seat belts signs are off. The handy shelf in front of 6A and B can then be used for necessities.

Jilly

Jilly,

How large / small is the shelf?

Does anyone have a pic of it? I reviewed the entire cabin pic section, and can find pics of 6 n 7, but not a shelf!

Taa
#79110 by jilly
30 Sep 2005, 16:42
Danno I suppose its not really a shelf as its not open - the area is behind the front divide and the wall/window.

At a guess I would say that the area is approximately 1ft by 3ft but triangular in shape because of the angle of the divide.

You would be able to put a small holdall and a jacket on there, certainly enough room for a nappy bag (not sure how old your kids are), a few toys and a jacket.

I travelled back from SFO earlier this year and the gentleman in 6A wanted to keep all his belonging in there during take off and landing and was firmly told he couldn't so bear in mind they are very strict about removing items during this time.

Hope that helps
Jilly
Virgin Atlantic