This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8230 by Scott
04 Oct 2005, 14:05
Hi,

Not sure if this should go in here or somewhere else, oh well a bit late now I guess!!!

Basically, it's a fair few years since I last went to the States, and with a trip coming up before Christmas, would I be right in thinking I don't need to do anything to get into the US except arrive with my Passport (and do you still fill in the little green/white cards onboard)? I appreciate the whole API thing going on at the moment, but I'm sure I've got that covered. it's just I'd hate to cock something up quite so royally!

Thanks in advance, sorry if I've been stupid and duplicated a thread, if so delete this and then slap my wrist!

Scott
#79570 by Bazz
04 Oct 2005, 14:09
You will need a machine readable passport. The Visa Waiver Program is still current so I imagine you will still fill in the green immigration form, the white one is for customs.
#79571 by Scott
04 Oct 2005, 14:13
Good good, got a machine readable passport... so nothing else to worry about at all then! Thanks very much for your lightning response!

Scott
#79577 by bostonbrit
04 Oct 2005, 14:58
Erm - worth just checking - you have a British passport right? The Visa Waiver Program only applies to 30 or so countries (inc. the UK!).
#79589 by Scott
04 Oct 2005, 16:03
Yep, I am a UK citizen/national whatever the right term is for someone from fine British stock! :D[:I]

My reading of the rules was that I didn't need to apply for anything in advance and could just turn up with my usual travel documents, I just wanted to double check before I made an arse of myself;)

Scott
#79616 by mitchja
04 Oct 2005, 18:13
Also make sure that on the date of travel, you have at least 6 months left before your passport expires as well. This now applies to most destinations now anyway.

regards
#79704 by csparker
05 Oct 2005, 02:35
Discovered today at EWR what the "WB" that they write on the waiver stamp each time means. Apparently it stands for "Waiver Business".
#79706 by preiffer
05 Oct 2005, 06:52
Originally posted by csparker
Discovered today at EWR what the "WB" that they write on the waiver stamp each time means. Apparently it stands for "Waiver Business".
Yup - and WT means "Waiver Tourist".
#79708 by mcuth
05 Oct 2005, 07:30
Originally posted by mitchja
Also make sure that on the date of travel, you have at least 6 months left before your passport expires as well. This now applies to most destinations now anyway.

James, not sure this is a requirement for travel on VS - have a look at my reply to Pat

Cheers

Michael
#79716 by mike-smashing
05 Oct 2005, 09:21
Originally posted by preiffer
Yup - and WT means "Waiver Tourist".

...and "WTR" is "Waiver Transit".

It was interesting travelling with my girlfriend who is a Greek national and so had to have a visa. She got a different stamp, and of course had different paperwork.

Cheers,
Mike
#79717 by preiffer
05 Oct 2005, 09:25
Originally posted by mike-smashing
Mike,

Did they not axe the Transit without Visa program? I thought everyone was admitted as either WB/WT, regardless of stay now?

(I certainly get a WB every time I go through Boston, enroute to Canada - for about 2 hours)
#79720 by mike-smashing
05 Oct 2005, 10:40
Originally posted by preiffer
Originally posted by mike-smashing
Mike,

Did they not axe the Transit without Visa program? I thought everyone was admitted as either WB/WT, regardless of stay now?

I got a "WTR" in March 2005 arriving by cruise ship into Miami and departing from MIA later the same day.

I still had to complete an I94W, but the passport definitely says "WTR". I think, if I was from a non Visa Waiver country, I would have had to have a Visa regardless.

Thanks,
Mike
Virgin Atlantic