This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8427 by martinmoore50
14 Oct 2005, 12:36
I booked a flight (through a travel agent, stupidly) with VA from LGW to MCO (Orlando). I've got quite a few miles, so I though I'd spend 20k on an upgrade to PE.

I called VA and they said that because it was booked through a travel agent, I couldn't upgrade the ticket [:(!]. They did say that I *might* be able to use the miles for an upgrade at the airport, but that I'd have to pay to change the ticket type to one that can be upgraded [xx(].

Any hints/tips on how to do this without paying extra? I only started flying VA this year and this will be my third trip in as many months – I was hoping they'd be a little more flexible.
#80848 by preiffer
14 Oct 2005, 12:45
Hi Martin,

It's only possible to upgrade a Y/B/L economy ticket using miles. Most consolidated/travel agent fares are booked in significantly lower fare classes, and so unfortunately, the agent's right.

unfortunately, 3 x economy tickets in 3 months won't immediately lead to any extra special flexibility. (In fact, even WITH any special attention, the fare class rule is not one that they break that often - if ever!)

I'd try at the airport, as suggested. SOMETIMES they do it without upgrading the ticket to a Y/B/L to begin with, but I think you'll find it's rare. They also offer "airport specials" to upgrade for around £2-300 with cash only on the day.

Sorry... [n]
#80850 by martinmoore50
14 Oct 2005, 13:00
Thanks anyway Paul.

I'll give it a go at the airport and give the check-in staff a wink (I said WINK). Don't fancy paying extra, simply because it's a work trip. Oh well, at least I've booked a window seat so I can stretch my legs a little.

Actually, on my last trip to Vegas, I was travelling with a friend and we were offered bulkhead seats, which gave us loads of room! Unfortunately we weren't allowed them on the way home, thanks to miserable Servisair staff at McCarran.
#80885 by David_Doyle
14 Oct 2005, 15:22
Originally posted by martinmoore50
Thanks anyway Paul.

I'll give it a go at the airport and give the check-in staff a wink (I said WINK). Don't fancy paying extra, simply because it's a work trip.

Hi Martin,

I'd suggest trying this at least 2 hours before the flight, I was told that miles upgrades could only be done up to 2 hours prior to departure.

Sounded strange to me at the time but no matter, I paid to upgrade instead (£199 + £20 upgrade fee, I was on a 'Q' class ticket )

David.
#80967 by xenole
14 Oct 2005, 22:59
At which point of booking through the VA website do you find out your ticket class? The bit after you get to enter your credit card details for example?
From the above posts and others, it seems far too easy to find yourself with the wrong sort of ticket (as I did on my last flight which turned out to be N - naturally knew nothing about tickets until after booking then being told about this place)
#80968 by Nottingham Nick
14 Oct 2005, 23:13
IIRC you are not told your ticket class until after you have paid on the VS website, BUT you do know if the ticket is in N class, because you are told how many miles you will earn BEFORE committing yourself to buying the ticket.

Obviously, if it says the ticket will not earn miles, then you are in N class. WARNING - the VS booking system can book you in X class one way and N class the other, so make sure that if the system says you will earn points, that the number it shows is the number you should earn for the RETURN journey.

Nick
#80970 by preiffer
14 Oct 2005, 23:21
Nick's pretty much explained it all (and yes, the option to select a specific fare class is something we've all been asking Virgin for for Aaaaages...)

To pick up on Nick's mileage note, you'll know you're in an upgradeable fare bucket by the number of miles it says you'll earn. For a normal (non-upgradeable) fare class, the mileage will be either 0 or 100% of flown mileage.

If it reports that you'll earn 125% mileage (ie: 13396 instead of 10716 for a LHR-SFO trip), then you're in Y/B/L class. [y]

Agreed, it's a bit a*** about face, but it's a way of knowing, at least. (OR, just call them up - but it'll cost you £5)
Virgin Atlantic