This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8472 by Paul H
17 Oct 2005, 00:01
I have just been looking at some old photos and found one showing us boarding a Boeing 707 when my mum and dad took us to Los Angeles back in July 1973. It was a British Caladonian flight direct from Gatwick.
It says on the back of the photo, only 11 hours to LA! I remember the captain telling us we were going into a stack when we arrived so there was the usual traffic delays. It is interesting that the flight time all those years ago was not much different to today. To me, it seems that the 707 was either a very good aircraft or the modern ones havn`t progressed much.
#81206 by preiffer
17 Oct 2005, 00:14
It's all linked into that little thing called the Speed of Sound.

Aircraft (regular ones) have issues (structural, heat, aerodynamic and others) when they approach Mach 1.0.

As a result, a regular plane can only get up to around M 0.88 at most - any more than that, and there would need to be some SERIOUS re-design (ala Concorde) going on.
#81254 by bostonbrit
17 Oct 2005, 15:12
And with airport / air traffic control congestion the way it is, I'm amazed the time taken has gone up, rather than down!
#81260 by VS045
17 Oct 2005, 18:02
Well the scheduled time for a flight from London-Paris is actually greater than it was in the 30s as the airlines build in some "fudge factor" to allow for delays etc.:D

Cheers,
VS045
#81273 by michaeljtodd
17 Oct 2005, 19:00
The published route time and actual flying time are two different things! They build in quite a large margin incase of delays, that way if you are late setting off the captin can say they pushed on and managed to get you to your destination on time or even early!!

In a way it is a good thing as it means the chances of missing connections is reduced, but it would be even better if flights left ontime and arrived early! Not that that seems to happen much, especially with the Virgin boarding scrum! Although the bext flight time ever was with BA we keft an hour late and arrived over Heathrow about an hour and half early, but of coarse we had to circle for an hour until our landing slot:))!!

Michael
#81278 by Richard28
17 Oct 2005, 20:04
Originally posted by Paul H
it seems that the 707 was either a very good aircraft or the modern ones havn`t progressed much.

But the amount of jet fuel burned has decreased considerably. Modern planes are also much quieter inside and out!
#81283 by some guy
17 Oct 2005, 20:17
Originally posted by preiffer
It's all linked into that little thing called the Speed of Sound.

And money!
#81284 by kkempton
17 Oct 2005, 20:27
Ah, but does the 707 have V:Port or Seats that turn into beds...
#81311 by Paul H
17 Oct 2005, 23:26
No V port, but they were showing Gene Hackman in the French Connection on the main screen. My dad could even have a cigarette at the back of the plane. Luckily some things have improved. I remember the breakfast even now. It did not taste of anything I could recognise but each item all tasted the same.
#81313 by kkempton
17 Oct 2005, 23:30
Hmm, French Connection.... Were parachutes supplied as standard? :D
#81361 by p17blo
18 Oct 2005, 13:44
Interesting on the way back from TPA earlier this month our 777 according to the seat map was travelling at over 1000kph due to extremely strong tail winds. Just how close is this to the speed of sound (showing my ignorance)?

Paul
#81362 by preiffer
18 Oct 2005, 13:52
Originally posted by p17blo
Just how close is this to the speed of sound (showing my ignorance)?
Unfortunately, it's not a strict speed - it's a factor of an equation that varies by second, let alone day.

There's a pretty clear explanation on wikipedia.com with the example for a STANDARD day (15C at Sea Level) @ 29,000ft being 1083kmph.
Virgin Atlantic