This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8568 by xenole
22 Oct 2005, 22:56
I was reading the FAQ bit of the site and it gives the impression that you originally start of with a red paper FC card and after you first mile earning flight you get a proper plastic one.

Does this mean that if you book a flight say 11 months in the future, you won't receieve the proper card until AFTER you have physically flown (I suppose in case you cancel the flight), so nearly a year before you get it?
#81864 by preiffer
23 Oct 2005, 01:13
Correct.

The card is only issued after your first qualifying flight. To be honest, with the amount of people that probably register but never take a flight from then onwards, I agree with the logic.

You can still earn/spend miles using your number - you just won't have a physical card.
#81866 by iforres1
23 Oct 2005, 09:46
Not just with Vigin, *A group and others use the same principle. Cuts down on the costs I expect.

Iain
#81869 by McCoy
23 Oct 2005, 10:00
Makes reasonable sense to me too. Whereas something like a Worldpoints card, which you would need straightaway if you plan on going shopping in the departure lounge, it arrives straight away through the post..
#81878 by kkempton
23 Oct 2005, 12:38
Ths is why I have a piece of paper until February next year.
#81890 by xenole
23 Oct 2005, 16:30
My bit of paper has seen better days.........just stuck it in my hand luggage on my last flights and it's a bit creased and dog-eared now.
Hopefully I didn't throw it away as it looks like I'll be needing it for a few more months.....
#81944 by mcmbenjamin
24 Oct 2005, 04:56
And to be honest, you do not need a card unless you are Silver or Gold; only the number.

Benjamin
#81948 by xenole
24 Oct 2005, 09:39
I'll have silver in Sept/Oct after my Australia trip hopefully......
#81950 by McCoy
24 Oct 2005, 10:08
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
And to be honest, you do not need a card unless you are Silver or Gold; only the number.
Benjamin
Why do we even that?.. if we put the number in when booking...
#81951 by xenole
24 Oct 2005, 10:16
Things like Virgin partner hotels seem to want you to show your card at check-in (well, that's generally what the websites say).
Looks better holding a plastic card rather than some dodgy bit of paper in my opinion.
Possibly going to be staying at the Radisson or Hilton for a couple of nights next month and doesn't make a great impression :)
#81958 by some guy
24 Oct 2005, 11:56
Originally posted by xenole

Looks better holding a plastic card rather than some dodgy bit of paper in my opinion.
Possibly going to be staying at the Radisson or Hilton for a couple of nights next month and doesn't make a great impression :)

I reckon, and if its such a big deal (which is fair enough), that you write a quick email to virgin. Tell them to look up your booking and explain you want a plastic red card in advance. They'll see they're going to have to send you one anyway,with the booking, and add the reason you want a shiney plastic card is so you can use it on check-in at the hotels and it doesn't get all busted, rusted and crusted during your travels. Bet you 50p they'll say yay.
#81959 by xenole
24 Oct 2005, 12:32
Originally posted by SBA
Originally posted by xenole

I reckon, and if its such a big deal (which is fair enough), that you write a quick email to virgin. Tell them to look up your booking and explain you want a plastic red card in advance. They'll see they're going to have to send you one anyway,with the booking, and add the reason you want a shiney plastic card is so you can use it on check-in at the hotels and it doesn't get all busted, rusted and crusted during your travels. Bet you 50p they'll say yay.

Think I'll try and my luck and say something like "Rather than getting the red card, as red isn't quite my colour, and the fact that I'm bound to fly a few more flights over the next year or so, just give me the gold card now and we'll leave things at that" ;)
They're bound to go with that one!
#81996 by Nottingham Nick
24 Oct 2005, 18:55
Originally posted by McCoy
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Benjamin
Why do we even that?.. if we put the number in when booking...

You will need a silver card to show to the Security person when you are travelling in Y but using the PE check in. (or a gold one if using the UC check in.)

Nick
#81997 by McCoy
24 Oct 2005, 18:57
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
You will need a silver card to show to the Security person when you are travelling in Y but using the PE check in. (or a gold one if using the UC check in.)
Ah. That's fair enough. Thanks..
Virgin Atlantic