This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#82062 by preiffer
25 Oct 2005, 09:21
Wow - did anyone even know that was going on behind the scenes?

I wonder if the more recent "out of court settlement" was the catalyst for the change in massage options onboard?
#82064 by Decker
25 Oct 2005, 09:23
Was aware that the onboard massages had changed for RSI reasons. Didn't hear about the CH problem.
#82065 by Decker
25 Oct 2005, 09:44
Was aware that the onboard massages had changed for RSI reasons. Didn't hear about the CH problem.
#82066 by iforres1
25 Oct 2005, 10:03
I have the same problem at the bar:D

I wonder if I can claim against VS for installing the bar on board therefore increasing my drinking movements:D

Iain
#82075 by ChuckC
25 Oct 2005, 13:09
Decker,
Not surprising. RSI is very "popular" in California these days, where everyone from court stenographers to tray-carrying food servers is feeling the pinch of stress and strain. The problem with these injuries is that the injury itself is not always easy to confirm objectively (translation: easier to fake).

Iain, don't be surprised if the VS bartenders claim injury from lifting too many glasses (seriously!).

Chuck-
#82109 by McCoy
25 Oct 2005, 19:36
I'm sorry, but my instant reaction to that story is to sigh, cough and shake my head at the ludicrous society we live in, where someone HAS to be responsible for everything that happens.. "**** happens" is no longer a valid excuse - there has to be someone liable, so you can sue them.

Perhaps I'm just a cynical old doctor, but human bodies aren't indestructible terminator-esque structures.. we fall apart a bit.. things get worn and used, and stuff hurts. It's normal. It's NOT somebody's fault, FFS.

Okay, perhaps in this case there was some weird forceful massage she was being told to do, that was not good for you. But there is a very simple message for everyone to remember.. "if it hurts, stop doing it.." End of story.
#82123 by fozzyo
25 Oct 2005, 20:30
If you don't know me I am a fully qualified and practicing massage therapist.

Wow! That payout has really quite shocked and saddened me. I love massage, i feel honoured whenever a client comes to see me to have the opportunity to do what I love so much. But unfortuantely there is a big problem with massage - it injurs you, seriously. As a therapist I really and trully feel for those who's career's are cut short like this - it is quite soul destroying, I have met many therapists who have had to give up due to RSI. In fact in a study about to be published I believe that over 80% of practitioners asked had experienced injury within the first two years of working!

How many other healing therapies can you think of that are of a great benefit to the client but a great harm to the practitioner?

I have been so worried about this risk of injury that I have spent over £2,000 training and qualifying in a new massage technique called No Hands Massage. It is a very powerful revolutionary way of massage without using your hands, it is predominantly done through the soft fronts of your forearms. It feels amazing for clients, it feels amazing for the therapist and most importantly for them it is zero-strain!

Stories like this do concern me, paying out over £150,000 is not something Virgin are going to want to do and continue to do now the precedent has been set. Could there become a time when massage treatments are no longer offered? I would be interested to know how popular the in-flight massage is, on my recent flight I had to have the Hot Hands treatment as the therapist had to alternate to help protect herself.

If anyone knows the name of the person responsible for Beauty treatments in VS would be grateful if you could PM me the details - I would love to write to them to explain No Hands Massage and offer to go and demonstrate it for them. It could help saves their staff from injury - great publicity from investing and protecting staff and great marketing opportunity from offering the latest and in my view best Massage style available in the world.

Mat xxx
#82267 by slinky09
26 Oct 2005, 23:01
Matt

Judging by your byline you've just seen a Liberace video or visited the (rather sad) museum?

On the issue, it seemed to me that Virgin were incredibly supportive of its ex staff and generous in comment and payout. I hope that pemeates into other areas.

S
Virgin Atlantic