This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#8671 by sstolp
31 Oct 2005, 12:33
Hi All...
I will be flying to Johannesburg on Dec 23rd from Heathrow. As I don't get to fly often enough for gold, or have the budget for UC, I don't get automatic access to the Clubhouse.

I am considering booking lounge access through VH, but notice that you are excluded from certain aspects of the Clubhouse. I don't mind this (why should I get the same services someone else does who's paying 4 times what I am), but how would I be treated in teh Clubhouse as a paying guest?

Would I have to sit in a designated area? What exactly will I not be able to have access to? Do you get treated like a second-class citizen?

Sascha
#82723 by fozzyo
31 Oct 2005, 12:44
I have never paid for CH access, but as far as I am aware the only thing you cannot do is book a treatment in the Cowshed Spa or Bumble and Bumble hair dressers. Everything else you get to use as any other guest of the CH.

It is well worth it as a great treat! When booking it double check it is the CH you are having, once they fill their allocation they will give you access to the ServisAir lounge which is a very different class of lounge.

Mat xxx
#82727 by sstolp
31 Oct 2005, 12:50
Thanks for that. Yeah, it is the Clubhouse. The servisair is also available but cheaper. I personally don't mind paying at all. Travelling alone from heathrow with hand-luggage is a nightmare.
#82728 by mcmbenjamin
31 Oct 2005, 12:51
sstolp:

Do it!

Would I have to sit in a designated area? What exactly will I not be able to have access to? Do you get treated like a second-class citizen?

You can sit where of please. You would not have to wear a "Scarlet Letter' or anything of that sort.

As fozzyo said earlier, the spa treatments are not included but I think you could pay.

I have paid for CH access and loved it. There was no difference in service or anything.

Benjamin
#82730 by Littlejohn
31 Oct 2005, 12:58
Originally posted by fozzyo
When booking it double check it is the CH you are having, once they fill their allocation they will give you access to the ServisAir lounge which is a very different class of lounge.

And servisair is probably cheaper to buy elsewhere, such as holidayextras.com. In fact (and I know you were not asking about servisair lounge access) but you may want to consider it as an alternative. You only get snacks rather than a proper meal and no where near the ambiance (as Foz says it is a very different class of lounge), but as much to drink as you can hold (or as I have seen some do, as much as you can squeeze in your hand luggage[:I][:w]) and they are not normally too busy so you get away from the crowds. ISTBC but I think you can pick up holideck/servisair passes for around £15, which I think is pretty good value for money. Also not sure how often you travel but priority pass may be worth considering.

Sorry - simultaneous postings by others have made this reply somewhat redundant. Never mind, it happens.
#82743 by sstolp
31 Oct 2005, 14:02
Thanks all....Looking forward to it.
#83967 by gilly
13 Nov 2005, 16:12
We paid to use the Clubhouse at LGW in September when flying PE to MCO. We were encouraged to book a treatment each "as they're free" - so we did!
#83973 by jilly
13 Nov 2005, 17:08
Originally posted by gilly
We paid to use the Clubhouse at LGW in September when flying PE to MCO. We were encouraged to book a treatment each "as they're free" - so we did!

Before I was a gold card holder and we booked the lounge through VH treatments were never included unless you were flying UC. The Virgin Holidays website confirms this.

Not quite sure how you got them free but good luck to you:)

Jilly
Virgin Atlantic